The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Social scene for those who do drink?

I thourght i'd start this thread, not as an insult to the thread of a similar but opposite name, but to find out more about the "fun" which Durhamites can have with an abundance of cheap booze.

I'm going to be at Durham next year and have more liberal views on the devils water.

Below are some rumours i've read which look like the basis for a lot of happy student days, any anecdotes would be great:

I read about a relay race across a bridge: one drinks while the other runs over and back a bridge and then you swap.

On my interview day the student rep talked about college team initiations: running a 3 legged lap of durham with both people wearing only boxers and drinking 3ltrs of cider.

The Lumley run?

Trophying: It is this sort of primary school tribal behaviour which attracted me to Durham in the first place. How far to people take this? Is it just bar mats or do you stretch to larger items?

I do not mean to condone binge drinking and associated behaviour but instead to learn more of the traditions which have made Durham what it is.
Reply 1
bicycleboy
Trophying: It is this sort of primary school tribal behaviour which attracted me to Durham in the first place. How far to people take this? Is it just bar mats or do you stretch to larger items?

People generally get bored of it and/or realise how lame it is after freshers' week.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I love it when the college lays on the propaganda about how you have got to be proud of your college and how trophying is really funny. Then, when someone actually follows it out, they send a threatening e-mail around saying that the culprit will be thrown out.

Idiots
The Lumley run?

Only for Castlemen. Not an integral part of college life and only once a term. Good fun though.
Reply 4
trophying is lame unless something is trophied that means something to the college that you took it. otherwise you just look like a loser and think why they hell did i do that.
Reply 5
abacab
trophying is lame unless something is trophied that means something to the college that you took it. otherwise you just look like a loser and think why they hell did i do that.

Oh right, so what sort of stuff tends to get trophied by "serious trophiers" if that doesn't sound too stupid?

Are we talking pool cues or portraits of the colleges founders?

Surely there must be a fine line between a college's sense of humour and calling the police.
Pool cues is lame, getting a Hatfield picnic bench onto the Norman Gallery (spiral stone staircase) or stealing the statue out of the undie (without breaking and entering) is the kind of stuff that's accepted - it gets noticed and given back. Petty thieving and vandalism is just irritating, pointless and liable to get you arrested.
Reply 7
LOL - theives!
Reply 8
palm trees, beer, vodka, chairs, posters, pictures, mirrors, teddies. apparently...
Mattmoy_2000
Pool cues is lame, getting a Hatfield picnic bench onto the Norman Gallery (spiral stone staircase) or stealing the statue out of the undie (without breaking and entering) is the kind of stuff that's accepted - it gets noticed and given back. Petty thieving and vandalism is just irritating, pointless and liable to get you arrested.

Although not trophying, as it didn't include theft I feel as Matt is going on about victories of Hatfield over Castle and Castle over Hatfield then I must remind him about "Ruth Hatfield" in his freshers photo, the Hatfield freshers rep who managed to get into the Castle Fresher's Photo undetected....:wink:

So therefore, one can continue college rivalry without resorting to theft. Sadly theft is often thought of first.:frown:
Reply 10
Last year (2006) on the open days in easter, Castle had a huuuuuuge banner at the train station, I mean MASSIVE, stuck up on two large wooden poles. Everyone at the station was like "It would be bloody Castle who has to outdo every other college!! :rolleyes:"

So a couple of our Open Day Reps from Trevs, at a fortunate time when the girl who was left to watch over the banner looked the other way, nicked it and ran practically from the train station to Trevs with this banner.

It was kept in Trevs for the easter and displayed in our dining hall on the first day of summer term, after which we gave it back :biggrin:
Reply 11
I think Hild Bede is too lazy for all that. Works for me.

By the way, I heard the best college song ever last night. It only really works if you hear it yourself though.
dobbs
Last year (2006) on the open days in easter, Castle had a huuuuuuge banner at the train station, I mean MASSIVE, stuck up on two large wooden poles. Everyone at the station was like "It would be bloody Castle who has to outdo every other college!! :rolleyes:"It was kept in Trevs for the easter and displayed in our dining hall on the first day of summer term, after which we gave it back :biggrin:

I remember seeing that for some reason or another, and good work on getting it back to Trevs undetected... and keeping it til the summer term!

Not of course that I'm condoning theft or all anti Castle activities, just some.:wink:

Latest