The Student Room Group
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester

(Old) Wanting to apply for English Literature & History combined degree at Chichester

I am currently in the middle of my UCAS application for an undergraduate Literature and History combined degree (my Personal Statement is currently awaiting a review) & after tons of research on the university, student life, and the course itself, I have decided that I would like to put in an application to Chichester for this course for entry next September:h: I am wondering whether there is anybody (regardless of what year of study) studying at this university & can give me some advice, thoughts and opinions on the course and campus etc.
I am 24 (I guess a "mature student":wink: so I am out of the traditional 18-21 student age range so I am questioning what the university is like/ treats the category of students I fall into.

Unfortunately, I did not make it to any of the open days Chichester held this side of Christmas but I have been given a link for a "virtual tour" to peruse at my convenience, so understandably, any input from anybody who is a current/ past student or in any way affiliated with the university would be greatly appreciated:smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi, I'm in the third year of Creative Writing and History at Chichester.

Personally, my honest opinion of this university is very mixed. The humanities department to which the English & History subjects belong to is definitely one of the smallest departments in the university with lecturers and courses having been cut in the past year (2 history courses, the English Lit MA & 2 history lecturers have been cut). The lecturers that are still here are good but it's worth knowing what a tenuous situation these subjects are in. Also, in my year at least, I get the feeling that the majority of people are here to just have fun and get a degree. A lot of people leave midway through class or don't show up at all and there's not a big academic community or vibe.

With regards to the wider sense of the university, it is quite small which can be nice. However that does mean the SU socs are limited in variety. Additionally, the wider social scene is still quite typically university and alcohol-related. The SU events tend to be evening parties and places for drinking - any other events they do have very low turnout.

So, yeah, that's my experience and thoughts. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending