The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

poker at durham

just wondering if the IT department let you play online poker? apparently pacificpoker and other non-download sites are allowed (ie Java etc) but it seems to stall after loading 75% of the game. hoping my settings are wrong!

any help appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Either way, I'm up for a few games next year if any other '07ers are interested!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm definitely interested Danny, and guess what? VM have their own poker society with tournaments, so I might be seeing you at that! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Aww I want to learn poker... and bridge... But I know Mah Jjong if anyone else does? haha. x
Reply 4
crankycaz
I'm definitely interested Danny, and guess what? VM have their own poker society with tournaments, so I might be seeing you at that! :biggrin:

Wahey! And yes, I will SO see you there! You going to the open day at all?
Reply 5
Reblet
Aww I want to learn poker... and bridge... But I know Mah Jjong if anyone else does? haha. x

Lol! Aw, me and Caz'll teach ya, being fellow Mildertians!
Reblet

Well I know all three. so :aetsch:

In addition to VM poker soc, the uni itself has one too. It is one of the largest societies in the uni I think. for more info see www.durhampoker.co.uk

To answer the original question, I think the uni network blocks anything that involves a p2p connection.
Reply 7
LMAO at the current no.1 being 'Michael Gamble'!
Reply 8
Danny_777
Lol! Aw, me and Caz'll teach ya, being fellow Mildertians!

Huzzah! I can't teach you much really in return but hey ho. I love card games and board games (as I am a keeno). :suitc: :suitd: :suitc: :suith:
And I also love the oh-so-adequate surname Gamble haha. x
Reply 9
Reblet
Huzzah! I can't teach you much really in return but hey ho. I love card games and board games (as I am a keeno). :suitc: :suitd: :suitc: :suith:
And I also love the oh-so-adequate surname Gamble haha. x

Someone had better bring a Monopoly board up! Customise it Durham-styley, with colleges etc lol!
Reply 10
As long as Castle is Old Kent Road and Van Mildert is Park Lane. Haha. x
Reply 11
Eee! I'm all excited now - yes we have to have Monopoly too, me and my friends play it in our lunchbreak at school! I'm such a geek! :biggrin:

I have played bridge before, but my fave games are Texas Hold Em Poker, Backgammon, Hearts and Spades. Spades can be quite fun, but I'm not sure if it's played much apart from online.

Oh, Danny I'll be going on the Monday - Tuesday open day, we'll have to PM each other before we go with something that we'll be wearing so we can say hi!
Reply 12
BACKGAMMON! Yay! I love it! VM will be raving! x
Reblet
As long as Castle is Old Kent Road and Van Mildert is Park Lane. Haha. x

Lol! No, Castle is prison :biggrin: .

Actually, that would be quite fun... Castle as Mayfair, have Hatfield as the Greens, VM I reckon would be the Oranges, the seperate blocks; not the most valuable, but the best overall (some weirdo mathmo actually worked this all out statistically lol!)... Haha, I'm thinking far too much about this! But blatantly me, you and Caz as the resident VM Monopolettes...
crankycaz
Eee! I'm all excited now - yes we have to have Monopoly too, me and my friends play it in our lunchbreak at school! I'm such a geek! :biggrin:

I have played bridge before, but my fave games are Texas Hold Em Poker, Backgammon, Hearts and Spades. Spades can be quite fun, but I'm not sure if it's played much apart from online.

Oh, Danny I'll be going on the Monday - Tuesday open day, we'll have to PM each other before we go with something that we'll be wearing so we can say hi!

We are so cool :p: . Nooo, come on the Tuesday/Wednesday one! Tbh, I don't really know which one I'm on yet! Actually, after you're finished at 1 on the Tuesday, I'm up in Durham for the day meeting up with a mate who lives there (phil_m88 from TSR). He's gonna show me the sights of Durham lol! You and Reblet are more than welcome to come along if you want; the more the merrier lol! Whichever day you go to it works out OK.

^ Hmmm... I could wear something truly retarded and neon so I'm easily recognisable... or you could just check out my profile pic and recognise me from that :p:
Reply 15
Mildert's poker society is really successful and popular with about 20 players on a weekly basis. We also hold a termly invitational with smart dress code etc, it's really good! (I managed to come second somehow!). We also have a league system where you can score points over the term for some extra interest. New players would be greatly welcomed next year and you're bound to have lots of fun and meet some great people when you're there!
Reply 16
do you play for money at mildert?
Shmerm
Mildert's poker society is really successful and popular with about 20 players on a weekly basis. We also hold a termly invitational with smart dress code etc, it's really good! (I managed to come second somehow!). We also have a league system where you can score points over the term for some extra interest. New players would be greatly welcomed next year and you're bound to have lots of fun and meet some great people when you're there!

Fantastic, can't wait!
6+6=6

*Shifty eyes* Noooooo.....

But seriously, it's hard to play your best when it's with friends and not for money, but I'd imagine not too bad when it's competitive, i.e. in a league table. I play like s**t in no cash friendlies, but somehow finished 2nd in a 50 people multitable for charity! I lost out to American Airlines in the first hand of the heads-up to a bloke who had hit quads 3 times already that day :p:...
Reply 19
6+6=6

Haha, yes we do, I'm reliably informed that because all the money taken in is given out as prize money, it comes under similar regulations to a tombola, i.e legal! Buy in is £2 so first prize is usually around £20. Won myself £8 for 3rd place last week!

Buy in for the invitational was £5 and top prize was £85 I think, I was gutted when on the very last hand I had 3 6s with a 10 kicker on the flop (2 6s on the table), only for the other guy to have 3 6s Ace kicker!

Even more gutting was when I had 8, 3 in my hand and folded it, and 3 8s came up on the flop.

Latest