The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They don't interview for modern languages.
I would imagine that they got a lot of applicants with 2 languages at A-level, it's not a reflection on the quality of your application per se but rather the amount of competition that exists for these places.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
AFAIK history has like 6A* minimum requirement?
dunno about Joint Honours course though.
Reply 3
I'm going to be honest with you: There will be no one reason why you've been rejected. Cookie crumble malarchy - stupid isn't it?! I applied for English and History and got in and although I did better at GCSE than you, I did much worse at AS. You're still an excellent candidate (i.e. you got pooled at Cam!!!) - so don't worry and hopefully you'll get offers from lovely places. Good luck!
...Might have been the GCSEs I guess, silly bloody policy in my opinion!
P.S. I got rejected from St. Andrews a few days after accepted by Durham and they're less competitive! Universities are officially mental.
Reply 4
Reblet
Universities are officially mental.

haha,very well said!:biggrin:
Reply 5
Reblet
Universities are officially mental.

Hear Hear.
Reply 6
According to Richard Smith, Combined honours courses are getting more and more competitive each year. I wouldn't be surprised if the requirements go up to AAA in the near future. Unlucky on not getting in, all the best!
Reply 7
I have a theory on the general University admissions process: it's mostly random. I mean, can you seriously imagine the admissions officers looking at every single application they get, wheighing up the grades in each one with others and then offering places.

I'd imagine it works like this: they receive an application; skim over the personal statement; glance at the grades - so long as there's a minimal amount of a few As at GCSE and A Level you're entered into the decision process - then through some completely irrelevant factor it's decided.

What I'm trying to say here is that it doesn't really matter a whole lot even if you're an 'outstanding' candidate; there's still a lot of luck involved. I've seen lots of people get rejected who had loads of As and A*s, and quite a few who've gotten in on some pretty average grades (for Durham anyway), myself included. I had 1 A* for GCSE, 4 As, 4 Bs and a C. And 3 As and a B for A Level, but here I am.

Meh, perhaps it's unfair, but that's life. Get over it.
Reply 8
You're a Van Mildert person! I got pooled to Van Mildert! Whats it like? Can't wait for the open day thang! x
Reply 9
Skylark, i too was rejected a few days back for PPE, after phoning up i was told that the reason was due to my 2 B's at GCSE.. Meh...
(See my rant and rave about universities in the Applications section!)
Reply 10
They rejected you for two Bs at GCSE?! How ridiculous are universities?! It's all so pathetic, I swear they'll start looking at SATs next or you pre-school drawings to check one is of the right calibre!
Sorry to hear that though, hope your application goes well. x
Reply 11
This is going to sound horrible to here we go:

To be fair OP, you're GCSEs aren't as high as others will have gotten, and there's the 6A* for History at Durham thing as well. I would imagine a lot of the people applying for Mod European languages will have 2 languages at A Level, and as Durham is quite competitive, I'd say they have AA in them. It does seem harsh that you are predicted AAA in the 3 subjects which would be desirable, but I don't know, maybe they doubted your ability to get AAA, or your passion from your PS. It's all very difficult and sometimes you're unlucky.
Reply 12
WelshMe
Skylark, i too was rejected a few days back for PPE, after phoning up i was told that the reason was due to my 2 B's at GCSE.. Meh...
(See my rant and rave about universities in the Applications section!)

Ouch...
Reply 13
I emailed today for rejection feedback, should be interesting... if it comes down to GCSEs it'll be that damn B in biology thwarting me then!
Reply 14
I say Tombolas must be the official selection process. x
Reply 15
Well there it is then: You can officially stop enjoying life the moment you start your GCSEs so you get 20 A*s to get into good universities. I mean honestly!!! x
Reply 16
Reblet
Well there it is then: You can officially stop enjoying life the moment you start your GCSEs so you get 20 A*s to get into good universities. I mean honestly!!! x

What I don't understand is how if, for example, you have two people with A*s in let's say Maths. How does it make the person with other A*s in English, German, French, Food Tech, Art etc, more academically qualified or competent than the other applicant who only has the A* in the subject they're good at and are applying for?

Also what a policy! Not showing the application to both departments of a combined course, only to the more competitive one!
Reply 17
I know, tis the risk with joint honours. That's what i was worried about. My ASs were fairly weak but I suspect they pay too much attention to GCSEs and that's what got me through.
Have you been accepted by any other unis? x
Reply 18
Well tbh if you're not good enough for the more competitive part of the joint course, they aren't going to look at whether you're good enough for the less competitive bit. That's how the cookie crumbles. Having said that, you're obviouly not thick if you got pooled at Cambridge so good luck to you, I'm sure you'll enjoy wherever you go!
Reply 19
Skylark

Also what a policy! Not showing the application to both departments of a combined course, only to the more competitive one!

I would have thought that they show one department first, then if they accept you the other department has to agree, and also the combined administration lot.

The problem that all top universities face is that they will recieve thousands of applicants with straight As at AS, predicted straight As for A2, and a good selection of GCSEs. As unfair as it may be, on paper there are probably more excellent applicants than offers (and there will be more offers than places, to allow for people picking 2 from 6, missing grades, getting grades when Durham's their insurance etc)

I agree with whoever said they take a cursory glance at grades, then filter based on a skim read of the personal statement, then only really look at applications once they've passed the first two hurdles. I have no evidence that's how they work, but if I had to pick 150 from 2,000 it's how I would do it.

Latest