The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

zoology with foundation year

Hi, has anyone already done the foundation year? Is there anything I should study over the summer to prepare for it? Really not sure what to expect! Also what is the general timetable like for this course, I will be travelling to the uni?
Hello Bethxxox,

I did the foundation year myself before going on to Zoology. I didn't feel I needed to study prior to starting the course as the first semester was a recap of A level science and maths anyway, while the second semester went into greater detail. However, revising in your own time before starting your course will help you know what to expect. There were also modules which helped prepare you for writing essays and reports to the standard required at university.

The foundation year is aimed to cater for anyone who wants to study a relevant science but doesn't necessarily have the required grades/UCAS points - the idea being that everyone, whether they are marginally under the requirement or further off their target, can come out of the foundation year sufficiently prepared to progress onto their degree.

Each module will also have a recommended reading list, so you can do background reading in your own time to aid studying and improve general knowledge - especially helpful in the case that a particular topic is proving difficult. These resources can be purchased from the John Smith shop on campus, or loaned out from Anglia Ruskin's library. I'd advise using the library as much as you can - it's free and often you can hold onto any books until someone else requests it. Of course, some books may be more popular than others or useful for the future too. In such a case, you may want to purchase your own copy.

There are up to four modules per semester and these are usually spread over three or four days per week. Sometimes the timetable varies, where an extra session (such as a practical held in the labs) takes place that doesn't occur on a regular basis. Some days may be full, while others you may only need to be in for the morning or afternoon/evening. The earliest lectures start at 9 am, while the latest I had to attend finished at 6 or 7 in the evening. Depending on how far you're travelling in from it may be advisable to find somewhere to live that's closer to campus, for the early starts or late finishes.

There are also various course trips available to you (these will take place once you've progressed on to Zoology). These are fantastic opportunities which I would recommend going on as many of as you can. I've had the privilege of travelling into Europe and have been even as far as Egypt to learn how to dive in the Red Sea - they have been the highlights of the course for me by far! Of course, with regards to travelling into university, these trips may require you to be on campus even earlier (or later) in the day so I'd advise keeping that mind too.

Hope this helps answer your queries!

Nicholas
Official ARU Representative
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by bethxxox
Hi, has anyone already done the foundation year? Is there anything I should study over the summer to prepare for it? Really not sure what to expect! Also what is the general timetable like for this course, I will be travelling to the uni?

Are you doing foundation law degree at ARU september 2015

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending