The Student Room Group

Zoology

Hi, I am considering zoology at university and would like some advice. I did history, literature and religion at A level but in my gap year realised I didn't want to do any of them at uni and after some volunteering I realised I really like zoology. I would take a foundation year wherever I decide to go but I am worried about the maths/chemistry involved as I haven't done any sciences since gcses. Any advice or guidance is appreciated!
Original post by lemontreess
Hi, I am considering zoology at university and would like some advice. I did history, literature and religion at A level but in my gap year realised I didn't want to do any of them at uni and after some volunteering I realised I really like zoology. I would take a foundation year wherever I decide to go but I am worried about the maths/chemistry involved as I haven't done any sciences since gcses. Any advice or guidance is appreciated!

Hi,

Congratulations on deciding what you are passionate about! I am studying Animal Behaviour and Conservation, so similar to Zoology. I also did the science foundation year and that really helped as I went to uni at 28, so it had been a long time since i had been in education. This is what the foundation year is for, to get you ready and prepared for your first year of uni, theres also lots of support - you just need to ask. In my second year of uni i was really struggling with some of the equations for genetics and I spoke to the tutot about it and got lots of extra help until i understood it. So I think you will be just fine with doing the foundation year and then making sure if you struggle to ask for help. If you are still worried, I would recommend looking into smaller unis, that have smaller intakes, as the lecturer will have more time to dedicate to each student.

I hope this helps, and eases your mind a little.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending