Reply 640
milk?
Original post by TeeEm
milk?

I am tired forgive me

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's time for me to start posting here
Hey!
I'm not actually going to be sitting STEP, but I'm applying for Physical Nat Sci and I thought trying these papers for the next few months will be useful.
How long do you recommend trying a question for before giving up and looking at a solution?
Original post by Windowswind123
Hey!
I'm not actually going to be sitting STEP, but I'm applying for Physical Nat Sci and I thought trying these papers for the next few months will be useful.
How long do you recommend trying a question for before giving up and looking at a solution?

What I normally do if I can't get a question out in an hour so is leave it and come back to it the next day. The ideas have a way of coming after a good night's sleep :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Windowswind123
Hey!

If you've just started, maybe a couple of hours (although certainly less if you can't make any progress)...even then it's far better to look at hints, if they are available.
When you're more practised it can whittle down to an hour I guess.
Original post by Krollo
What I normally do if I can't get a question out in an hour so is leave it and come back to it the next day. The ideas have a way of coming after a good night's sleep :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, thanks!
Not too sure how many people have seen this, or maybe I'm just slow, but this PDF somewhat shows how STEP papers are marked.

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/Images/258632-advanced-problems-in-core-mathematics.pdf

It doesn't look like they 'punish you for partial answers', but the questions are set so the harder parts are at the end anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 648
Original post by Alex:
Not too sure how many people have seen this, or maybe I'm just slow, but this PDF somewhat shows how STEP papers are marked.

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/Images/258632-advanced-problems-in-core-mathematics.pdf

It doesn't look like they 'punish you for partial answers', but the questions are set so the harder parts are at the end anyway.

You're not being slow - they've uploaded the wrong document by accident I think. Nice find!
Original post by shamika
You're not being slow - they've uploaded the wrong document by accident I think. Nice find!

I'm going to quickly save the PDF then, methinks!
Original post by shamika

Nah, it isn't a mistake:

ATS
Thanks for getting in touch.

This mark scheme has been provided to give candidates an insight into how questions are marked, as well as the methods expected to answer questions. This is all based on the 2011 version of the test, which does not include any questions that will be used again in this test, though of course questions of the same type will be.

A similar, though less detailed document is also available in each past paper available on our website.

Best wishes
Reply 651
Original post by Zacken
Nah, it isn't a mistake:

I was going by the link itself (which refers to one of Siklos' booklets), and hadn't looked at the site itself :smile:

I'm going to credit myself for ATS opening up a little :tongue:
Original post by shamika
I was going by the link itself (which refers to one of Siklos' booklets), and hadn't looked at the site itself :smile:

I'm going to credit myself for ATS opening up a little :tongue:

Yeah, I saw the same thing "images/advanced...pdf" and thought it was a mistake as well so I emailed them, that's what they replied with.

Haha, you deserve the credit! :smile:
Reply 653
Is 1,1 in step 2/3 a realistic goal for someone getting borderline 1's in step 1 at this stage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KMan98
Is 1,1 in step 2/3 a realistic goal for someone getting borderline 1's in step 1 at this stage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A 1,1 in STEP 2/3 would be a realistic goal for someone starting prep in January. So, you're ahead of the curve.
How's everyone's STEP prep going? I'm laying off STEP for a while and focusing on my applications and A-Levels (Jan exams) - but I entertain myself with the odd old STEP question every now and then to keep me on my toes. Haven't looked at a STEP III paper yet, though! :ahee:
Could someone explain why in the solution for 2003 STEP II, Q4, d + D = R. I thought that d is just D rather than R - D because in the first example d is the distance from the origin to the segment rather than the height of the segment which is what R - D would be. Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Zacken
How's everyone's STEP prep going? I'm laying off STEP for a while and focusing on my applications and A-Levels (Jan exams) - but I entertain myself with the odd old STEP question every now and then to keep me on my toes. Haven't looked at a STEP III paper yet, though! :ahee:

I've started to look at a few STEP II questions to see the difficulty change, it's interesting. Feels like when I was starting STEP I, can normally do the first part "easily" but the next parts are quite tough.

In year 12 so I don't have as much to do for actual AS work, still have 9 exams though they won't really count :frown:. What unis did you apply for?
Original post by rcmehta
I've started to look at a few STEP II questions to see the difficulty change, it's interesting. Feels like when I was starting STEP I, can normally do the first part "easily" but the next parts are quite tough.

In year 12 so I don't have as much to do for actual AS work, still have 9 exams though they won't really count :frown:. What unis did you apply for?

That's really good! :smile:

I'm applying for Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Durham (in that order of preference)
Original post by Zacken

I haven't really been doing too much to be honest. Im part of the STEP Correspondence Project so I've been doing those assignments which has been quite interesting, and then just trying to do the odd question here and there to see how I'm doing :awesome"

Latest

Trending

Trending