The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by demigawdz
https://3110b3b48cdc993f8fb622042e2ffa4f00a024fe.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYMTZlRm1iQnJPTWs/Papers/2006%20STEP%202.pdf

q11

does northerly direction mean due north (directly north)? or only a bit north (like at an angle theta)? I dont see why they cannot be clear lol.

I would assume only a bit north, since the line after says "at an angle θ\theta to the horizontal. So they are just clarifying that the projectile is shot upwards from the horizontal instead of below the horizontal.
Original post by Jordan\
That's it! Thankyou so much 😆

You're welcome :smile:
Original post by demigawdz
https://3110b3b48cdc993f8fb622042e2ffa4f00a024fe.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYMTZlRm1iQnJPTWs/Papers/2006%20STEP%202.pdf

q11

does northerly direction mean due north (directly north)? or only a bit north (like at an angle theta)? I dont see why they cannot be clear lol.

It means exactly North. This matters because of the wind direction. Think 3D to translate this question. The angle theta is above the horizontal, which is nothing to do with the compass direction.
Original post by tiny hobbit
It means exactly North. This matters because of the wind direction. Think 3D to translate this question. The angle theta is above the horizontal, which is nothing to do with the compass direction.

Either I've gone completely out of my mind or I'm just being thick. How does this question have anything to do with 3D? It's a two dimensional question and Farhan's solution agrees with mine.
Original post by Zacken
Either I've gone completely out of my mind or I'm just being thick. How does this question have anything to do with 3D? It's a two dimensional question and Farhan's solution agrees with mine.

I said this because the conversation seemed to be mixing the angle theta with the compass direction. Your posting talked about the projectile going "a bit north".

The OP needed to realise that the projectile is fired exactly northwards and the wind is blowing north to south.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rcmehta
This?

Thank you!
Original post by tiny hobbit
I said this because the conversation seemed to be mixing the angle theta with the compass direction. Your posting talked about the projectile going "a bit north".

The OP needed to realise that the projectile is fired exactly northwards and the wind is blowing north to south.

yeah thanks bro, they really should of just used plain english really
rofl
STEP I, 1995, Q10, part about showing v2+λx2ml=u02.v^2 + \frac{\lambda x^2}{ml} = u_0^2.

I resolve downwards to get

mx¨=mgT=mgλ(x+e)l=mgλxlλel=mgλxl=mgλxlmg\displaystyle m\ddot{x} = mg - T = mg - \frac{\lambda(x+e)}{l} = mg - \frac{\lambda x}{l} - \frac{\lambda e}{l} = mg - \frac{\lambda x}{l} = mg - \frac{\lambda x}{l} - mg

So, mx¨=λxl    ω2=λxml\displaystyle m\ddot{x} = -\frac{\lambda x}{l} \implies \omega^2 = \frac{\lambda x}{ml} ... which is correct. Wow! Looks like I do maths better on TSR and Latex than on paper. Oh well, just gonna post this now, given that I've taken the time to type it up. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
STEP I, 1995, Q10, part about showing v2+λx2ml=u02.v^2 + \frac{\lambda x^2}{ml} = u_0^2.

I resolve downwards to get

mx¨=mgT=mgλ(x+e)l=mgλxlλel=mgλxl=mgλxlmg\displaystyle m\ddot{x} = mg - T = mg - \frac{\lambda(x+e)}{l} = mg - \frac{\lambda x}{l} - \frac{\lambda e}{l} = mg - \frac{\lambda x}{l} = mg - \frac{\lambda x}{l} - mg

So, mx¨=λxl    ω2=λxml\displaystyle m\ddot{x} = -\frac{\lambda x}{l} \implies \omega^2 = \frac{\lambda x}{ml} ... which is correct. Wow! Looks like I do maths better on TSR and Latex than on paper. Oh well, just gonna post this now, given that I've taken the time to type it up. :tongue:

Multiplying theough the result by 1/2m and rearranging is interesting also. Just an idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Multiplying theough the result by 1/2m and rearranging is interesting also. Just an idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I'll give that a go too. I think I found another way of doing this part without SHM. Just letting x¨=vdvdx\ddot{x} = v \frac{dv}{dx} then solving the resulting differential equation.
For those who did all of this last year for Camb, what would you say was the best interview prep you did?
Original post by Jordan\
For those who did all of this last year for Camb, what would you say was the best interview prep you did?

Probably the questions i put up. Weirdly i think Mat is pretty useful u know. Step I aswell but the problems in step are on the longer side for an interview(bar some ofcourse)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Probably the questions i put up. Weirdly i think Mat is pretty useful u know. Step I aswell but the problems in step are on the longer side for an interview(bar some ofcourse)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What questions did you put up?

How easy is the MAT?
Reply 713
There is this question in the "Advanced problems in mathematics"booklet and the last part asks so show that integrating 1/1+x^2 from 0 to 1 is equal to π/4. The solutions use something called the shell method I believe (not quite sure how you're suppose to know that from the C4 integration but maybe that's just me). What is wanted to ask is, if you see that that is the integral from fp3 of arctanx could you use that?
Original post by 130398
There is this question in the "Advanced problems in mathematics"booklet and the last part asks so show that integrating 1/1+x^2 from 0 to 1 is equal to π/4. The solutions use something called the shell method I believe (not quite sure how you're suppose to know that from the C4 integration but maybe that's just me). What is wanted to ask is, if you see that that is the integral from fp3 of arctanx could you use that?

Normally I would say yes, especially on the pre-2000 papers when you do them as its used quite a bit there. However, in the most recent exams I probably wouldn't, and if the whole point of the question was to integrate that expression then using the formula would make the question trivial, possibly ruining the point off the whole question.

In general, if your own method that is off-syllabus renders the question pointless and trivial, I would use the intended method/ one on syllabus to be safe!
Original post by Zacken
What questions did you put up?

How easy is the MAT?

If you look at his threads there is one on interview questions
Original post by 130398

Have you possibly misunderstood the question? From a quick search online, the shell method is used to find volumes of revolution. I did a STEP problem yesterday where you had to find the volume generated by rotating 1/(1 + x^2) from x=0 to x=1 around the y-axis.
Reply 717
Yes sorry, i forgot to say that the last part was asking for the volume revolution of the function given. In c4 you would use (pi) y^2 but the solutions use the shell method. Excuse me for the cofusion.
Original post by 130398
Yes sorry, i forgot to say that the last part was asking for the volume revolution of the function given. In c4 you would use (pi) y^2 but the solutions use the shell method. Excuse me for the cofusion.

ye, you don't actually have to integrate 1/(x^2+1) in this question, my method involved integrating x/(1+x^2) which gives a natural log.
Siklos releasing another booklet' should be out before. 2016 step!

Latest

Trending

Trending