The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
I remember trying it last year, I hadn't quite grasped M1 properly yet, so that question was wasted on me, let me know how it goes! :biggrin:

Will do. :biggrin:
Original post by Krollo
Then you're miles better than I was last year! :awesome: Without trying to put a dampener on things, the last few papers have got a bit harder, so it may be worth checking out, say, 2011.

Step 2 seems like a good idea if you can hack it, but it is a big step up (no pun intended). Again, it's been getting quite tough over the last few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see you did well in step 1 well done.

Which maths a levels are you giving this year?

I am doing fm+afm+step123.

Step questions are quite different from the a level ones much less regimented. How is your prep for step23 going? And when were you finished on your step 1 prep for last year? As in did you finish all the papers right up to the exam or way before then.
Original post by A Slice of Pi
I get that too. Just a geometric series in the end. What I found odd was that the parts of the question were worth 6 marks, 8 marks and 6 marks (respectively). This seemed strangely high to me. For part (a), did you consider conservation of angular momentum? It's not common to see a problem where the collisions happen in a circle, which I found quite interesting :smile:

Well, it's an A Level question, and it is quite extended, so it deserves the marks, I think.
I didn't use conservation of momentum, just conservation of linear momentum during the collisions. I didn't actually justify my calculations when I did them, but I've thought about it a little and I think it's alright. It's tricky because the speed of separation becomes the speed of approach, and, looking from the side, the direction A approaches changes from one collision to the next.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EricPiphany
Well, it's an A Level question, and it is quite extended, so it deserves the marks, I think.
I didn't use conservation of momentum, just conservation of linear momentum during the collisions. I didn't actually justify my calculations when I did them, but I've thought about it a little and I think it's alright. It's tricky because the speed of separation becomes the speed of approach, and, looking from the side, the direction A approaches changes from one collision to the next.

Yeah I hadn't seen a problem like that before. I was just curious about which momentum to use. Angular momentum factors in the radius, but all the radii cancel out in the end so it gives the same result as linear momentum. Suppose it doesn't matter really. I have loads more of these questions at home.
Original post by Zacken
I remember trying it last year, I hadn't quite grasped M1 properly yet, so that question was wasted on me, let me know how it goes! :biggrin:

Just finished this question. It wasn't too bad; the method was identical to the one needed in the previous question. The sign changes with multiple collisions can be a little tricky, so this was good practice.
Just finished this question. It wasn't too bad; the method was identical to the one needed in the previous question. The sign changes with multiple collisions can be a little tricky, so this was good practice.

Good job! How did you manage to come across those old A-Level questions?
Anyone link me to the A level thread, I can't find it?

In any case, totally lost at:

Coefficient of X^3 in

(1+x+x^2)^5

Without expanding it all, it then goes on to ask for x^5, which I could work out after I know the general method.

I know it's something with the general term but I can't get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by I am Ace

Coefficient of X^3 in

(1+x+x^2)^5

Without expanding it all, it then goes on to ask for x^5, which I could work out after I know the general method.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hint: 1+x+x21+x+x^2 is the sum of the first three terms of a geometric series. :wink:
Original post by Zacken
Good job! How did you manage to come across those old A-Level questions?

I found them online a while ago. I'll post some more up later.
Original post by Zacken
Hint: 1+x+x21+x+x^2 is the sum of the first three terms of a geometric series. :wink:

Textbook hasn't covered them yet, in Binomial Theorem topic

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found them online a while ago. I'll post some more up later.

If you're interested, why don't you try adapting or posting them as it is on The Proof is Trivial?
Textbook hasn't covered them yet, in Binomial Theorem topic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, essentially you can write 1+x+x21+x+x^2 as 1x31x\displaystyle \frac{1-x^3}{1-x} so that you get

(1+x+x2)5=(1x3)5(1x)5\displaystyle (1+x+x^2)^5 = (1-x^3)^5(1-x)^{-5}, can you take it from here? Use the general term of each binomial.
Original post by Zacken
Well, essentially you can write 1+x+x21+x+x^2 as 1x31x\displaystyle \frac{1-x^3}{1-x} so that you get

(1+x+x2)5=(1x3)5(1x)5\displaystyle (1+x+x^2)^5 = (1-x^3)^5(1-x)^{-5}, can you take it from here? Use the general term of each binomial.

I like that, but the book says its to be done by

((X+1)+x^2)^5

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like that, but the book says its to be done by

((X+1)+x^2)^5

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I suppose that could work, but it's a little longer.

You have:

k=05(nk)(x+1)nkx2k\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{5} {n \choose k} (x+1)^{n-k}x^{2k}
Reply 794

Coefficient of X^3 in

(1+x+x^2)^5

Posted from TSR Mobile

One approach

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Coefficient of X^3 in

(1+x+x^2)^5

Posted from TSR Mobile

It may help to write y = x + x^2. This then gives (1+y)^5, which has the well-known series expansion 1 + 5y + 10y^2 + 10y^3 + 5y^4 + y^5. Then look at the different ways you can make up an x^3 term.
Original post by Zacken
Well, I suppose that could work, but it's a little longer.

You have:

k=05(nk)(x+1)nkx2k\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{5} {n \choose k} (x+1)^{n-k}x^{2k}

I got that far,nut didn't know how to solve that to find k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1445623047.809366.jpg

Same hing for the bottom question, totally lost

Posted from TSR Mobile
It may help to write y = x + x^2. This then gives (1+y)^5, which has the well-known series expansion 1 + 5y + 10y^2 + 10y^3 + 5y^4 + y^5. Then look at the different ways you can make up an x^3 term.

That's probably what I should've done but it still looked dodgy from there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hauss
One approach

Spoiler

That makes perfect sense but is definitely not in the book!

I got a bit confused en you applied it to x^5 but I think I get the idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending