The Student Room Group

Should I carry on with four a levels?

I would like some advice as to whether I should stick with all of my 4 A Level subjects next year for A2. I haven't had my AS results yet (results day is the 13th August) but I am predicted A's in all four. I take Government & Politics, Maths, English Literature and Drama, and alongside those I am completing an EPQ (focused on radio because I'm interested in going into political journalism or something along those lines). I hope to study politics with my top choice being LSE (London School of Economics), second Queen Mary (University of London) and then I haven't completely decided on my other choices.

My conflict is that I believe I am stronger at Drama and enjoy it more than English Literature, however Drama is on the non-preferred subject list at LSE and English Lit is generally 'respected' more. I have considered taking on all four subjects, but then appreciate that this isn't an advantage with applications, takes up more time and may sacrifice having three slightly stronger A2 grades. Therefore I'm unsure whether to take Drama over English and risk having a non-preferred subject, continue with English Literature instead of Drama because it is preferred, or to take all four on at A2? Any advice would be very much appreciated, especially regarding how much of a disadvantage it is to have a non-preferred subject!

Thanks!
Drop Drama. Although it sounds like a fun subject, a lot of my friends who took it at A2 said it becomes really boring and time consuming due to all of the coursework etc. Also, if you're considering LSE, it wouldn't hurt to take a Further Maths AS as a fourth subject, seeing as LSE seem to love FM (It was literally the first thing they asked me about when I came in to look around).
Reply 2
Original post by tommyprice5
Drop Drama. Although it sounds like a fun subject, a lot of my friends who took it at A2 said it becomes really boring and time consuming due to all of the coursework etc. Also, if you're considering LSE, it wouldn't hurt to take a Further Maths AS as a fourth subject, seeing as LSE seem to love FM (It was literally the first thing they asked me about when I came in to look around).

Thank you! Obviously results day may impact my decision but hearing that your friends found it that way is really helpful. I considered doing FM but think I'd rather focus on getting a strong A2 grade as it isn't necessary to have maths for Government but I won't rule it out just yet - thanks again :smile:
Reply 3
If all of my grades are A's then I might try all four for a bit but seeing feedback regarding A2 drama I might just drop it straight away - I think I love the practical elements so much that I put aside the theory & coursework which is the dominant aspect in Year 13. Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 4
Drop drama, you're already taking a 'soft' subject in government and politics so shouldn't put yourself at a further disadvantage. Although at least you have two solid A levels in Maths and Lit which will both be invaluable for your choosen field. But as you only have two strong subjects and you are applying for elite Uni's I'd drop the drama
Unfortunately I'd say drop Drama. English and Maths is great preparation for politics, as is politics obviously. LSE take their 'preferred' subjects quite seriously, after all it's one of the best!

Keep drama as an extracurricular activity. It will be good so you can tell them you can help the uni in other ways, such as performing in plays at uni etc.

Quick Reply

Latest