The Student Room Group

Near miss- driving

Hi all,

This evening I was at a four way set of lights, when it was my turn to go.
A person waiting to turn onto the other side of the road whilst I was waiting to turn on his side allowed me a gap to turn.
I edged forward into the gap but didn’t go far as I couldn’t see past him and the traffic the other side of him.
A car the other side of him slammed on his breaks and came to a stop.
We both looked at each other when I held my hand up to say ‘sorry’ from inside my car.
I believe this person then continued to carry on driving forward and carried on as normal. I continued to make my turn as it was clear after this.

My question is, I’m terrified. Have I done something wrong? Should I have gotten out and spoken to them? We were in a busy junction..

I’m so worried and concerned I’ve done something wrong. I’ve never had anything not even a parking ticket in the 10 years I’ve been driving. It’s making me question whether the light was even green for me to go😖
Original post by DexterTDog3
Hi all,

This evening I was at a four way set of lights, when it was my turn to go.
A person waiting to turn onto the other side of the road whilst I was waiting to turn on his side allowed me a gap to turn.
I edged forward into the gap but didn’t go far as I couldn’t see past him and the traffic the other side of him.
A car the other side of him slammed on his breaks and came to a stop.
We both looked at each other when I held my hand up to say ‘sorry’ from inside my car.
I believe this person then continued to carry on driving forward and carried on as normal. I continued to make my turn as it was clear after this.

My question is, I’m terrified. Have I done something wrong? Should I have gotten out and spoken to them? We were in a busy junction..

I’m so worried and concerned I’ve done something wrong. I’ve never had anything not even a parking ticket in the 10 years I’ve been driving. It’s making me question whether the light was even green for me to go😖

You're worrying about nothing. You did nothing wrong.

You "edged forward into the gap", which was exactly the right thing to do given that you couldn't see what traffic might be coming past the car which left the gap.

It was this sensible, cautious approach which avoided an accident. There was no need to stop and talk to the other driver; your "hand up to say ‘sorry’" was sufficient.

The other driver probably forgot about it a few minutes later, even though you're still worrying about it at midnight.
Reply 2
Thank you. That’s made me feel a lot better.

My mind went into over drive, I was worrying dash cam footage from somewhere may be shared with the police and I’d be fined or something for someone else slamming on their breaks as I edged into the gap!

This then also made me worry and made me think if I’d gone through a red light or something.

I hope they have forgotten too! It really shook me up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending