The Student Room Group

What do I need for A*s in Maths and Further Maths?

Hi,

I got these as my AS results (Edexcel):

C1: 95
C2: 89
M1: 98
S1: 99
D1: 82
D2: 85
FP1: 80

What do I need to get next year to get A*s in Maths and Further Maths? I'll be taking C3, C4, FP2, S2 and then probably M2. Is it worth resitting any of the modules I've already completed?

Thanks!
D2 is worth resitting if you think you can get 90% + in it. No other module is worth resitting if you are going for an A*. For maths just get 90% average across c3 and c4. For further maths get 90% average across the three further maths modules (or two and include D2 if you wish).
Original post by Mattematics
Hi,

I got these as my AS results (Edexcel):

C1: 95
C2: 89
M1: 98
S1: 99
D1: 82
D2: 85
FP1: 80

What do I need to get next year to get A*s in Maths and Further Maths? I'll be taking C3, C4, FP2, S2 and then probably M2. Is it worth resitting any of the modules I've already completed?

Thanks!

Resits - no. If you satisfy the 90% at A2 condition, with your AS results you are guaranteed (at a glance) to satisfy the other condition, hence getting A*. (Check this yourself)

For Maths you need at least 180 UMS from C3/C4 and 480+ in total. Same total for FM, but 270+ from 3 A2 units.
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
Resits - no. If you satisfy the 90% at A2 condition, with your AS results you are guaranteed (at a glance) to satisfy the other condition, hence getting A*. (Check this yourself)

For Maths you need at least 180 UMS from C3/C4 and 480+ in total. Same total for FM, but 270+ from 3 A2 units.

Thanks for that. I'm quite happy with Maths, was just Further Maths I was more intrigued by. It appears (from the totals) S1 has been out with C1 and C2, at least for this year. Does normal Maths require an AS and and A2 applied unit, or can it be C1-4 + S1 and D1, for example?
Thanks for that. I'm quite happy with Maths, was just Further Maths I was more intrigued by. It appears (from the totals) S1 has been out with C1 and C2, at least for this year. Does normal Maths require an AS and and A2 applied unit, or can it be C1-4 + S1 and D1, for example?

There are rules that must be followed before maximising your grade for both subjects, all done by the exam board for you.

In normal maths you can have two 1s, or 1 and 2 of the same type, but not one of 1 and 2 of another. So the one you said is fine.

D1 + D2 fine, S1 + M1 fine, D1 + M2 not fine etc. I think the exam board's website has this kind of information, for future reference. :smile:
Reply 5

Yes that combination C1-4, S1, D1 is perfectly fine (it's the one that got me an A* in maths).

Quick Reply

Latest