The Student Room Group

Should I reapply to Oxbridge

I'm sort of confused.

At the start of my A2 year last year I dropped Computing OCR because I hated it, got an A, but I hated it, so I dropped it and was then studying Maths, Physics and Technology.

So during my UCAS applications I had only 3 subjects, I applied to Oxford and didn't even get an interview. Sad.

After that disappointment i decided to take up Further Maths to bring me back up to 4 A levels, which was tough, but it worked, and I got my 4 A*'s last week!!

My question is, should i reapply to Oxbridge now that they know im capable enough? I didn't even get a chance last time and i really think i could do it, and I'm not so sure I want to be in my current firm choice.

Thanks for any help :smile:
It looks like you've made the decision tbh. You want to reapply, you have a shot at getting an interview and offer, and you're doubting your firm because of it.

Unless you'd be put in a tough financial position by going on a gap year, I'd say you can. The only issue is Maths and Further Maths aren't seen as completely separate A levels and Technology is seen as a softer subject.
Yeah I know, the only thing is I would have no idea what to do with a gap year! And would they frown upon taking a gap year and that decrease my chances?

Thanks for your advice! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by CowsWhoStare
I'm sort of confused.

At the start of my A2 year last year I dropped Computing OCR because I hated it, got an A, but I hated it, so I dropped it and was then studying Maths, Physics and Technology.

So during my UCAS applications I had only 3 subjects, I applied to Oxford and didn't even get an interview...

From your posts it looks like you applied for Physics. Are you sure that your PAT score wasn't the problem as far as getting an interview was concerned?
Original post by shoshin
From your posts it looks like you applied for Physics. Are you sure that your PAT score wasn't the problem as far as getting an interview was concerned?

You see I thought my PAT went fine! My friend and I both did it and got similar answers for a lot of it and he's away to do Engineering in Oxford next month!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by CowsWhoStare
You see I thought my PAT went fine! My friend and I both did it and got similar answers for a lot of it and he's away to do Engineering in Oxford next Month!

For Engineering the PAT score is supplementary info in the selection decision , but for Physics it is the main criterion. Might be worth getting your score from your college, if you don't have it already. Good luck :smile:
Original post by shoshin
For Engineering the PAT score is supplementary info in the selection decision , but for Physics it is the main criterion. Might be worth getting your score from your college, if you don't have it already. Good luck :smile:

oh i didn't know that! That's a good idea, I'll do that :smile: Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I reject my place at Durham now and I reapply to Oxford and Durham, is it likely that Durham won't give me another offer out of spite?
Original post by gib_student
If I reject my place at Durham now and I reapply to Oxford and Durham, is it likely that Durham won't give me another offer out of spite?

Why would you assume spite would be the reason? They might want to give an offer to someone else who shows ability, but who hasn't previously let them down.

It's the risk you take to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending