The Student Room Group

Applying for Oxbridge

A personalised thread I know, but I want to know whether there is any point in me applying to Oxbridge.

Just got my AS's back and I got AAAB (the B in economics which I'm dropping anyway) the A's include Politics - 89 ums, English Lit 92 ums and Classics 87 ums. I'm hoping for at least 2 A* predictions. I already have my personal statement completed, ready for the early application process. I also have a strong set of 12 GCSES mostly A*-A (bar Maths, Statistics and Spanish in which I got B's)

My passion is english lit and I think I would be able to convey that well in an interview and am assured by teachers my love of the subject comes through in my personal statement. I have also done a fair amount of reading outside my syllabus.

Two of my teachers have mentioned applying recently, my English teacher who believes I would thrive on the Oxford course and my Economics teacher who said my grades suggest its worth a shot. However neither have really pushed it which made me feel like it wasn't serious.

Anyway, would I be a realistic Oxbridge candidate with A*A*A, a strong personal statement and teacher reviews and a decent set of GCSE grades?

Thanks!!!! :smile: :smile:
I don't know, but as a guy starting his A-Levels soon, good luck my dude
Original post by a.fellows98
X

Yes. Try and prep for the ELAT, as that will also be an important part of your application (providing you apply to study at Oxford).
Reply 3
Original post by Jooooshy
Yes. Try and prep for the ELAT, as that will also be an important part of your application (providing you apply to study at Oxford).

Thanks!
Not sure about Cambridge as your UMS are a little on the low side (although not impossible - some students do get offers with lower UMS, as a rough guide I've heard that 85% tends to be given as a suggested minimum for getting an interview) but with A*A*A predictions Oxford could definitely be worth a shot :smile:

The key thing to think about it whether YOU would really enjoy Oxbridge - don't just apply because they're the top universities in the country, check out the details of the course and teaching methods to decide whether it would really suit you :smile:

This all being said, with A*A*A predictions you're almost guaranteed offers from most universities, so spending one of your five UCAS choices on Oxbridge isn't too much of a risk.
Reply 5
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Not sure about Cambridge as your UMS are a little on the low side (although not impossible - some students do get offers with lower UMS, as a rough guide I've heard that 85% tends to be given as a suggested minimum for getting an interview) but with A*A*A predictions Oxford could definitely be worth a shot :smile:

The key thing to think about it whether YOU would really enjoy Oxbridge - don't just apply because they're the top universities in the country, check out the details of the course and teaching methods to decide whether it would really suit you :smile:

This all being said, with A*A*A predictions you're almost guaranteed offers from most universities, so spending one of your five UCAS choices on Oxbridge isn't too much of a risk.

Thanks! Considering Oxford over Cambridge at the moment :smile:
I definitely agree with the above posts - I know Cambridge are very picky about UMS scores, but since you're considering Oxford more than Cambridge, I think you'd make a competitive application with those predictions, a strong personal statement and a good score on the ELAT. I'm pretty sure you'd get an interview at least, since I got AABB at AS and got an interview there (for modern languages though, not English). I didn't actually get in but your grades and general application sound better than mine so definitely go for it if you love the city and the course!

If you want to ask any questions about the application process/interviews feel free, even though it won't be 100% subject specific :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Dougieowner
I definitely agree with the above posts - I know Cambridge are very picky about UMS scores, but since you're considering Oxford more than Cambridge, I think you'd make a competitive application with those predictions, a strong personal statement and a good score on the ELAT. I'm pretty sure you'd get an interview at least, since I got AABB at AS and got an interview there (for modern languages though, not English). I didn't actually get in but your grades and general application sound better than mine so definitely go for it if you love the city and the course!

If you want to ask any questions about the application process/interviews feel free, even though it won't be 100% subject specific :smile:

Thanks very much for the help! Feeling much more optimistic about applying now, don't feel quite as foolhardy as before at least !
A personalised thread I know, but I want to know whether there is any point in me applying to Oxbridge.

Just got my AS's back and I got AAAB (the B in economics which I'm dropping anyway) the A's include Politics - 89 ums, English Lit 92 ums and Classics 87 ums. I'm hoping for at least 2 A* predictions. I already have my personal statement completed, ready for the early application process. I also have a strong set of 12 GCSES mostly A*-A (bar Maths, Statistics and Spanish in which I got B's)

My passion is english lit and I think I would be able to convey that well in an interview and am assured by teachers my love of the subject comes through in my personal statement. I have also done a fair amount of reading outside my syllabus.

Two of my teachers have mentioned applying recently, my English teacher who believes I would thrive on the Oxford course and my Economics teacher who said my grades suggest its worth a shot. However neither have really pushed it which made me feel like it wasn't serious.

Anyway, would I be a realistic Oxbridge candidate with A*A*A, a strong personal statement and teacher reviews and a decent set of GCSE grades?

Thanks!!!! :smile: :smile:

I got 2 A*s, 7 As, and 2 Bs at GCSE and AABC at AS. I finished with A*A*A. I'm about to start my second year of History at Oxford.

It's definitely worth giving it a go. Remember, AS levels are not really considered as part of the application process, they are considered by tutors as a stepping stone to the full A2 level; hence they're looking for strong A-Level predictions (at least AAA).

There are many aspects to your application, including your PS, submitted work, aptitude tests, GCSEs, A2 predictions, and interviews. If you perform strongly in one area it can make up for slightly weaker performance in another.
Reply 9
Original post by colourtheory
I got 2 A*s, 7 As, and 2 Bs at GCSE and AABC at AS. I finished with A*A*A. I'm about to start my second year of History at Oxford.

It's definitely worth giving it a go. Remember, AS levels are not really considered as part of the application process, they are considered by tutors as a stepping stone to the full A2 level; hence they're looking for strong A-Level predictions (at least AAA).

There are many aspects to your application, including your PS, submitted work, aptitude tests, GCSEs, A2 predictions, and interviews. If you perform strongly in one area it can make up for slightly weaker performance in another.

We got nearly identical GCSES so that is great to hear! I am hoping to leave A2 with at least A*AA but a strong likelihood of 2 A*'s. I completed my personal statement last term and I've had only positive feedback so I am feeling fairly well prepared on that stance. I'll spend some time practicing ELAT papers for if I progress enough in the application process to be required to sit them. Thanks a lot for your help!!
We got nearly identical GCSES so that is great to hear! I am hoping to leave A2 with at least A*AA but a strong likelihood of 2 A*'s. I completed my personal statement last term and I've had only positive feedback so I am feeling fairly well prepared on that stance. I'll spend some time practicing ELAT papers for if I progress enough in the application process to be required to sit them. Thanks a lot for your help!!

Everyone who applies has to sit the ELAT, so you definitely need to practice writing the exam. It's actually one of the elements of your application that can make up for dodgy GCSEs or AS levels etc.

Edit: also, don't think of your PS as completely finished. You have two months to edit it and make sure that it flows well. You might find that you want to change a few things after starting your A2s and I think it's a very good idea to do so.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by colourtheory
Everyone who applies has to sit the ELAT, so you definitely need to practice writing the exam. It's actually one of the elements of your application that can make up for dodgy GCSEs or AS levels etc.

Edit: also, don't think of your PS as completely finished. You have two months to edit it and make sure that it flows well. You might find that you want to change a few things after starting your A2s and I think it's a very good idea to do so.

Okay thanks for your advice its been extremely helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending