The Student Room Group

Can low tier unis reject you because they think you're applying for Oxbridge?

Because the Oxbridge deadline is so early and the rest of your unis receive your application, can non russell group/russell group unis reject you for this reason to "save" places for other candidates even though you're qualified?
They can't assume anything. My school had us all submit our applications as early as possible regardless of university choices, so it's probably not going to be a dead giveaway anyway, since they can't actually see your choices? Also, there's every chance you won't get into Oxbridge, and so they can't really remove your safety net. I got offers from all of my other choices as well as Oxford.
Reply 2
Nice what did you apply for? I kind of like the early deadline because it does mean I get my offers quicker and I have fewer things to worry about; was this the same for you?
Reply 3
'Other Unis' don't care - they have far more important things to do than second-guessing if random 17 year olds have applied to Oxbridge.

And - since most of those applying to Oxbridge wont get an interview, never mind an offer, they will end up at 'other Unis' so it would be pretty silly if they rejected them on this casual basis wouldn't it.
This isn't necessarily true - many unis wait until after the January deadline before they start making offers.

Also, you don't have to submit all your choices at the same time. You could just apply to Oxford first and then add your other choices later when you have had more time to think about them.
As above, unis don’t care where else you’ve applied and can’t make assumptions based on your application date.
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
This isn't necessarily true - many unis wait until after the January deadline before they start making offers.

Also, you don't have to submit all your choices at the same time. You could just apply to Oxford first and then add your other choices later when you have had more time to think about them.

My application is submitted on the 22nd of September so why would most unis (other than Oxbridge) wait until after the January deadline? I thought they give out offers shortly after the interviews because then they would read later candidates applications.
Original post by ThatKid777
My application is submitted on the 22nd of September so why would most unis (other than Oxbridge) wait until after the January deadline? I thought they give out offers shortly after the interviews because then they would read later candidates applications.

It really does depend on the uni. They have until May to respond to applicants who apply by the January deadline. Have a read of this:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/when-will-you-hear-back-from-the-universities-youve-applied-to

They have to give equal consideration to all applicants who apply before the January deadline. Some wait until after that for that reason. Most applicants are not called for interview. It tends to be Oxbridge and where students have applied for Medicine or Pharmacy where there is a requirement to interview.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
why would most unis (other than Oxbridge) wait until after the January deadline? .

Its called a 'gathered field' - if its a course where offer numbers are very tight or its a small intake, some Unis wait to have all applications so they can be assessed and ranked together and then offers made, rather than offers being made gradually as applications arrive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending