The Student Room Group

prediction A2 grades? BBC ~> AAA

I got BBC and could be predicted AAA.

The first B grade: if my teacher writes on my reference that i'm very hardworking (i am) and comitted, will Unis frown upon prediction from B to A* ?

The second B grade: prediction one grade higher is fine. + resitting

The C grade: i'm resitting the practical got U in it and B in exams. Will unis unerstand?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump

How will unis view this?
You have the kindest teachers in the world, they could believe you. I spoke to an admissions tutor at Durham who said that they also use GCSE grade to check the validity of your predicted grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SCAR H
I got BBC and could be predicted A*AA.

The first B grade: if my teacher writes on my reference that i'm very hardworking (i am) and comitted, will Unis frown upon prediction from B to A* ?

The second B grade: prediction one grade higher is fine. + resitting

The C grade: i'm resitting the practical got U in it and B in exams. Will unis unerstand?

An A* prediction is unlikely, unless you got an A of 90% or over at AS.
How high is your B? You may be predicted an A if your B is mid/high
I don't think teachers will predict from a C to an A as it is very risky.
Your predicted grades do not have to match the requirements perfectly as an A* grade can be a hit or miss and uni's know this.
As long as your predicted grades are close (i.e. AAB/AAA) you should be fine in getting an offer from that.

Of course you could have very generous teachers who could predict you very high if they really believe in you...
lol teachers predicting B grade students an A* is the reason teacher predictions are wrong 50% of the time.
Original post by ForgottenApple
lol teachers predicting B grade students an A* is the reason teacher predictions are wrong 50% of the time.

I have to say, this. I know it sounds harsh in the context of this thread but I think it'd be fairer if predicted grades were done by the exam board based solely on UMS scores (e.g. 90+ = A*). Otherwise it just leaves the students with the fairer teachers (those who aren't going to throw out A*s willy nilly) at a disadvantage when it comes to applications.
Original post by Pro Crastination
I have to say, this. I know it sounds harsh in the context of this thread but I think it'd be fairer if predicted grades were done by the exam board based solely on UMS scores (e.g. 90+ = A*). Otherwise it just leaves the students with the fairer teachers (those who aren't going to throw out A*s willy nilly) at a disadvantage when it comes to applications.

I agree. I got 89% at AS and didn't get an A* prediction. I only got one after saying it was for cambridge and I was under assessment for the first weeks of A2 to ensure I was operating at 90%+
Achieved that A* too so my teacher doesn't look dumb either.
I agree. I got 89% at AS and didn't get an A* prediction. I only got one after saying it was for cambridge and I was under assessment for the first weeks of A2 to ensure I was operating at 90%+
Achieved that A* too so my teacher doesn't look dumb either.

Can confirm this also - saying you're applying to Cambridge speeds up the "can you predict me an A* please" process. (Which I think just goes to show the nonsense of it all, really.)

Your school/college sounds pretty strict though, I was accidentally predicted one too many A*s because the teachers were so nice!
Can confirm this also - saying you're applying to Cambridge speeds up the "can you predict me an A* please" process. (Which I think just goes to show the nonsense of it all, really.)

Your school/college sounds pretty strict though, I was accidentally predicted one too many A*s because the teachers were so nice!

yea the have a within 15 UMS policy for any predicted grade but for an A* you need to have 90% or you don't get it. (Unless you have your work reviewed for a couple months)

Other subjects weren't a bother as they were above 90 :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

And the reason why clearing is always a shambles. :lol:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
And the reason why clearing is always a shambles. :lol:

I think my colleges within 15 UMS was a reasonable policy -> Just don't get why they wouldn't predict an 89% an A* lol
yea the have a within 15 UMS policy for any predicted grade but for an A* you need to have 90% or you don't get it. (Unless you have your work reviewed for a couple months)

Sounds pretty reasonable, to be fair, although the A* policy will really screw people over (but arguably fair enough). I know my college's maths department didn't predict a single A* for those who didn't score something stupid like a 95 UMS average during AS because they thought the step up between AS and A2 was too large. That messed up a lot of applications for no good reason.
I think my colleges within 15 UMS was a reasonable policy -> Just don't get why they wouldn't predict an 89% an A* lol

To be honest,anything is possible. My friend achieved a B in her AS, got predicted a B for A2 and came out with a golden A* on the 13th.
To be honest,anything is possible. My friend achieved a B in her AS, got predicted a B for A2 and came out with a golden A* on the 13th.

Is a 'golden A*' like 100 UMS or is it some sort of rare ticket to tour the exam board's offices and see the oompa loompas grading papers?

Yea obviously it's possible; but what sense does it make if one person has A predictions because their college is lenient and another person an A* because theirs isn't. (Same grade).

Not fair to be honest. I say make them be realistic and if you get an A* adjust or apply next year. - your own fault for screwing AS up.
Is a 'golden A*' like 100 UMS or is it some sort of rare ticket to tour the exam board's offices and see the oompa loompas grading papers?

Humour on a late Wednesday night, just what I need. :lol:

I'm pretty sure it would have been full UMS, since she didn't take any re-sits. 'Golden' as in when she saw the grade she was like :eek3: :eek3: tears and everything.

But I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to see the oompa loompas :rofl:
Reply 16
AAA would be much more plausible :smile:
Being 2-5 marks from the next grade is realistic.
Anything more and it's a punt for the teachers.
You'd be lucky to get AAB tbh. ABB sounds realistic.
Yea obviously it's possible; but what sense does it make if one person has A predictions because their college is lenient and another person an A* because theirs isn't. (Same grade).

Not fair to be honest. I say make them be realistic and if you get an A* adjust or apply next year. - your own fault for screwing AS up.

My sixth form is also dodgy like that. A girl got CCD and she was predicted BBB (which bagged her an offer from Manchester) but she declined it because she knew her predictions were too good to be true :lol:

I've so many stories about my silly sixth form but I'll probably fall asleep telling them :laugh:

The system is pathetic really, it's all based on different teachers' subjective opinions and whether they like you or not could also heavily influence the direction of your prediction.
My sixth form is also dodgy like that. A girl got CCD and she was predicted BBB (which bagged her an offer from Manchester) but she declined it because she knew her predictions were too good to be true :lol:

I've so many stories about my silly sixth form but I'll probably fall asleep telling them :laugh:

The system is pathetic really, it's all based on different teachers' subjective opinions and whether they like you or not could also heavily influence the direction of your prediction.

Needs a standardized system to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest