The Student Room Group

Non graduate scheme jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ybsy75
Are non graduate scheme jobs as good as grad schemes? What are the pros and cons of each?

Hi Ybsy75,
Choosing between graduateschemes and non-grad jobs can often be a little bit of a headscratcherand it’s not always simple to decide.
Along with some of the otherreply’s you have received, I agree that both routes have their benefits and youshould see what options are on offer from the employers you are interested in.
Some employers will offergraduate development programmes that come with various benefits and developmentopportunities. These schemes are usually well established and provide astructured way of developing your career within the company.
However non-grad jobs can alsooffer a great opportunities that lead to long term careers, or as way ofgrowing your experience before applying to your dream job.
All experience is goodexperience and can help you narrow down what suits you best.
Atkins EC Team
Reply 21
Original post by Daniellecorni5h
Yes there are loads of opportunities aside from the fast stream. Here's the careers page for my role https://gss.civilservice.gov.uk/people-and-careers-2/statistical-officer/ I'm a stats officer working in the Office For National Statistics (ONS) so I'm afraid I can only really tell you about a very small part of the civil service. I applied during my final year of uni (I did psychology) and started 2 months ago straight after graduating.

I work in Administrative data, which is basically data that wasn't collected for the purpose of statistics, so I do a lot of liaising with other departments such as HMRC and DWP to see if we can share their data to save money/time and get better quality stats for the government to base their decisions on.

I'm not sure how many graduate, but not grad scheme, jobs come up outside of the stats departments but definitely keep an eye out here https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi

Let me know if you have any further questions :smile:

Hi, I am going to apply for this role, final year psychology student, any tips? :smile: I am going to tailor my cv to show off the stats and data entry side, what was the whole process like and where did you work?
Reply 22
Original post by iamux
Hi, I am going to apply for this role, final year psychology student, any tips? :smile: I am going to tailor my cv to show off the stats and data entry side, what was the whole process like and where did you work?

Given a CV isn't used for selection, tayloring yours for applying would be a waste of time.

Quick Reply

Latest