The Student Room Group

Prom... And awkwardness

First of all I'm new on the site so if I've posted this in the wrong category I just had no idea which one would suit talking about prom... XD
Anyway I'm starting year 11 next week (ugh) and prom will be coming up like next year, and my mum and friends are already bugging me about it. I have already decided in my mind I definitely don't want to go for many reasons, such as I know for a fact no one would ask me to prom as I am not attractive in any way or even slightly popular, and I also feel sick at the thought of wearing a dress as I have a flat chest and eczema all on my arms and back and would probably mortify my whole yeae group.
How can I tell my mum I don't want to go without hurting her feelings? She loves (trying) to dress me up and hates when I tell her I don't like revealing my skin..
If anyone actually took time to read this, thankyou <3
Does it matter if you have a prom date? Just hang out with your mates, it's better. You still have a whole year to worry about going to prom, worry about your exams first, then prom.

I'm gonna start year 11 next week too haha :frown:

Why not consult a GP? Maybe they can offer you a good cream? I recommend E45 cream, it's amazing. I had a less severe case of eczema on the back of my arms as well but as soon as I applied the cream, they were almost gone the next day.
Hi! I didn't go to my prom either for reasons similar to yours. Perhaps you can suggest doing something else on prom night, like going to a restaurant for a nice meal instead? You could dress up a little bit to please your mum, maybe wear some makeup if you're not comfortable with clothing which shows your skin, and this way you also get out of going to prom :smile:
I was like that too at first, I didn't want a fancy dress, I felt uncomfortable with my arms and have a flat chest too! In the end I had such a nice group of friends by the time it came around I bought a knee length dress from miss selfridge for £40, a sequin jacket and went with my best friend :smile: . I'm really glad I went even though I was the only person wearing a knee length dress that cost under £100, the only one with long sleeves but no one cared because they were so worried whether they looked nice!
Original post by Barde2199
First of all I'm new on the site so if I've posted this in the wrong category I just had no idea which one would suit talking about prom... XD
Anyway I'm starting year 11 next week (ugh) and prom will be coming up like next year, and my mum and friends are already bugging me about it. I have already decided in my mind I definitely don't want to go for many reasons, such as I know for a fact no one would ask me to prom as I am not attractive in any way or even slightly popular, and I also feel sick at the thought of wearing a dress as I have a flat chest and eczema all on my arms and back and would probably mortify my whole yeae group.
How can I tell my mum I don't want to go without hurting her feelings? She loves (trying) to dress me up and hates when I tell her I don't like revealing my skin..

I've just finished year 11 and I highly recommend that you go to your prom. It's an event you'll never forget and I had such a great time. In terms of your dress you can wear one with sleeves and that covers your chest, but maybe has a slit to show your legs. I have eczema on my arms so I wore a long sleeve dress, but I got mine made so I could choose how I wanted it.
Original post by Barde2199

Don't bother going I didn't go & other ppl didn't go either we were the smart ones. The ones who did popped themselves in crap (expensive) dresses which they will never wear again ( big tacky things) and they looked ridiculous and awkward in their photos. Lets be honest the majority of people would rather not be there with people they don't know or like and with teachers as well uhh. Anyways after 1 hour of the event my friend rang me crying that she hated it and wanted to go home its basically a glorified disco and a lot of ppl commented on how boring it was.

Then in Y13 we were meant to have one but it got cancelled because it the last one was so bad!

Just tell your mum the dress is a waste of time and its a ridiculous notion why be in a room with people who I don't like & wont see again and use said reasons above. Btw don't mention your image etc to her unless its a last resort cause she might push you to go to get over skin issues ( I used to have eczema on my hands it does go away over time :smile:

I'm sure your far more beautiful than those 'popular girls' (who lets be honest aren't really poplar if the majority don't like them) least your face has probably met the sun unlike theirs covered in make up and trust me once they take off that make up uck(shudders their skin is so bad like the living dead)

Need anymore excuses to give your mum I can come up with plenty (prom is that bad) Remember be confident in the way you speak and point out its your life your the one who has been invited to prom party not your mum to me when parents force children to do things like this they are trying to relive themselves through you remember your life is your own :smile:

Instead of prom go watch telly / cinema go on holiday(one guy did that) and I grantee you will have more fun than them!
Original post by Hevachan
I was like that too at first, I didn't want a fancy dress, I felt uncomfortable with my arms and have a flat chest too! In the end I had such a nice group of friends by the time it came around I bought a knee length dress from miss selfridge for £40, a sequin jacket and went with my best friend :smile: . I'm really glad I went even though I was the only person wearing a knee length dress that cost under £100, the only one with long sleeves but no one cared because they were so worried whether they looked nice!

Lol @ the no cared because they were so worried whether they looked nice part
I don't even get a prom because I'm homeschooled.

Yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoenixsilver
I don't even get a prom because I'm homeschooled.

Yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should totally have a prom at home xD
Original post by Hevachan
You should totally have a prom at home xD

Ew.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know how you feel! I have a flat chest too! Just choose a dress that makes you feel comfortable and I promise you,with a good group of friends,you'll forget all of your worries when you're with them on prom night😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I think all the problem you are worrying are easy to solve:
flat chest: choose a dress with strapless neckline, jewel neckline and jewel neckline.
eczema all on my arms: choose the dress with half or long sleeves to cover it.
Anyway there are tons of prom dresses styles for you online or on store. There will be one waiting for you.
About the partner, now you can go to prom with your friends together, not just the BF.
So don't bother yourself now, try to enjoy the coming prom party, it will be very important memory.
I went to my school prom and found it crap. Getting all dressed up just to sit about at the sides drinking (yeah you can tell how "popular" I was!). I actually think some of the ideas in this thread are pretty good - go out to a restaurant with your family rather than spend god only knows how much on a dress you'll wear once.

Quick Reply

Latest