The Student Room Group

I swear "men prefer curves" is such a lie!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
So I used to be STICK thin, at 5ft7 I weighed about 7 and a half stone. I didn't look ill but I was just very... Fragile looking. I had no issues with food I was just naturally lanky. I was mega self conscious and always desperate to gain weight. I hated my boyish figure and was constantly bombarded with the message that "real women have curves".

So fast forward a few years and I'm now in my twenties and have inevitably gained some weight (about 2 stone altogether). I also do a lot more exercise and lift weights so generally have more muscle. I'm still slim, a size 10 but I've got more of a 'womanly' figure with a bum, hips and thighs. I'm quite happy with my figure now, I'm strong and I'm not poorly all the time like I was when I was skinny... And clothes actually fit me.

Thing is... I got WAY more male attention when I was stick thin. Even boyfriends I've had since I've put on weight have seen photos of the skinny-me and I thought their reaction would be "ew gross"... But instead they've said I used to look hot and wasn't too skinny at all!

Last year i went travelling and ended up losing about half a stone, and I wasn't happy with my body as I felt I lost some curves.. But my boyfriend said he preferred it and didn't understand why I wanted to gain the weight back again.

I don't get it! Why all the hype around men liking a woman with " meat on her bones"!

It's not a lie, just because you individually do not experience anyone being attracted to you at your most voluptuous does not mean guys are not attracted to voluptuous women.

Edit: I have no idea why people mention bmi stats I really don't give a crap. Also curvy and voluptuous does not mean fat. Of course a curvy and voluptuous woman will indeed have fat on her body but she will not be fat and instead have an attractive figure.
(edited 8 years ago)
I hate the "men prefer curves" crap. Yes, men have preferences but they're not all the same. Some men do love curves,some men don't. Usually there's a combination of factors they'll take into account with attractiveness, just like every other human on this planet. I got more attention when I was thinner (small size 6) because I had a thinner face but still had a relatively large for my size bottom. My friend gets more attention when she is a size 12-14 because her boobs look huge and perky compared to the rest of her. It's not just all down to what size you are, people suit different sizes because of different reasons and then also different guys like different things too.
I don't have rolls upon rolls...

I have a 27inch waist and 39inch hips!

And you're a size 10?! I don't fit into a 10 any more and I'm 36-25-37 :frown:

Also how do you weigh so little with those measurements??? I'm 5ft 8, with smaller hips and waist, and over 11 stone...
Reply 23
mens do prefer curves, i know i do, love curvy women more,
Reply 24
I prefer skinny girls with curves.
you think size matters, omfg how shallow are you, there's always someone looking for you to be what he/she wants through the way you - talk-walk-sound-state-smell these are attributes that we all have to put forward in order to score that someone for whom we want to share life's luxuries with
I don't have rolls upon rolls...

I have a 27inch waist and 39inch hips!

be happy in who YOU are, not what you think other people want you to be.

If you like your curves, then keep em, if you dont lose them.

But do it for YOU not for others
I'm reading a book at the moment called 'A Billion Wicked Thoughts'. In it, it describes some of the sexual cues that men have typically used in selecting female partners. Youth is one of the big ones, and then the collections of fat around particular areas like the breasts, hips, thighs, and butt; these fat collections are correlated with higher estrogen levels, so usually correspond with youth - and higher fertility, long-term offspring survival, health. The author also mentions some research that has found a certain hip-to-waist ratio most arousing amongst men.

BUT, there's a huge cultural influence to consider and also plenty of opportunity for men to develop tastes for different things that you might not conclude from the first paragraph - like small breasts, butts, particularly muscly women, etc.

The overall point is - you can't make generalisations about people's tastes. We all get off on different things, especially in an age where we don't necessarily think so much about offspring or fertility and have a lot of societal influences which can alter our tastes.

When it comes to your own weight; keep within a healthy BMI range (which you are, based on what you've said) and where you're most comfortable, and if you're unsure about that, see a dietitian.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by redferry

Also how do you weigh so little with those measurements??? I'm 5ft 8, with smaller hips and waist, and over 11 stone...

Thanks for the subtle insult.

You should be a 10...pretty sure measurements for a 10 are something like 34-28-36 (correct me if I'm wrong but I know at least topshop jeans are a size 10 when they are waist 28 so god knows how you could be a size 12 with a 25 inch waist)

I'm a size 10, sometimes an 8, rarely a 12.

Everyone's built differently. Even when I was skinny I still had wide hips it's just my bone structure. I've still got a thigh gap now, and my ribs stick out. I weigh 9 stone 8lbs. I don't have big boobs, maybe that's where your weight is. You're an inch and a half taller than me too (I'm about 5ft6.5 but I generally round up).
You can be skinny and have curves

Spoiler

Or you can be skinny and have very little curves

Spoiler

Weight is not what gives you curves, you're either born with a curvy figure or you're not.
If you want to be bigger and have curves, then I suggest you look into corset training, which is what women used back in the good ol' days to get the 'perfect' hourglass figure.

Spoiler

Thanks for the subtle insult.

How was that an insult? I was just confused as to how someone with those measurements is seemingly so much smaller/lighter than me!

You should be a 10...pretty sure measurements for a 10 are something like 34-28-36 (correct me if I'm wrong but I know at least topshop jeans are a size 10 when they are waist 28 so god knows how you could be a size 12 with a 25 inch waist)

Size 10 trousers do not fit over my thighs and bum. Even 12s can be too small - especially from topshop. Can't wear anything from topshop, they don't seem to understand that people aren't straight up and down when they manufacture their clothes.

Jeans don't sit on your waist they sit on your hips. My hips are 37 inches. As for high waisted jeans they're always too loose on the waist if they go over my hips.

I'm a 10 on top of I don't mind it being a little tight on my chest. It's either tight on the chest or baggy on the waist I find.

I'm a size 10, sometimes an 8, rarely a 12.

I couldn't squeeze into an 8 if I greased myself in butter first XD

Everyone's built differently. Even when I was skinny I still had wide hips it's just my bone structure. I've still got a thigh gap now, and my ribs stick out. I weigh 9 stone 8lbs. I don't have big boobs, maybe that's where your weight is. You're an inch and a half taller than me too (I'm about 5ft6.5 but I generally round up).

Yeah I do have a fairly large chest (30FF)

Thigh gap, don't think I've had one of those since birth :tongue:

Sounds like I just have much more muscular legs than you tbh!
Reply 31
So I used to be STICK thin, at 5ft7 I weighed about 7 and a half stone. I didn't look ill but I was just very... Fragile looking. I had no issues with food I was just naturally lanky. I was mega self conscious and always desperate to gain weight. I hated my boyish figure and was constantly bombarded with the message that "real women have curves".

So fast forward a few years and I'm now in my twenties and have inevitably gained some weight (about 2 stone altogether). I also do a lot more exercise and lift weights so generally have more muscle. I'm still slim, a size 10 but I've got more of a 'womanly' figure with a bum, hips and thighs. I'm quite happy with my figure now, I'm strong and I'm not poorly all the time like I was when I was skinny... And clothes actually fit me.

Thing is... I got WAY more male attention when I was stick thin. Even boyfriends I've had since I've put on weight have seen photos of the skinny-me and I thought their reaction would be "ew gross"... But instead they've said I used to look hot and wasn't too skinny at all!

Last year i went travelling and ended up losing about half a stone, and I wasn't happy with my body as I felt I lost some curves.. But my boyfriend said he preferred it and didn't understand why I wanted to gain the weight back again.

I don't get it! Why all the hype around men liking a woman with " meat on her bones"!

Curves as in big breasts and posterior.
How was that an insult? I was just confused as to how someone with those measurements is seemingly so much smaller/lighter than me!

Size 10 trousers do not fit over my thighs and bum. Even 12s can be too small - especially from topshop. Can't wear anything from topshop, they don't seem to understand that people aren't straight up and down when they manufacture their clothes.

Jeans don't sit on your waist they sit on your hips. My hips are 37 inches. As for high waisted jeans they're always too loose on the waist if they go over my hips.

I'm a 10 on top of I don't mind it being a little tight on my chest. It's either tight on the chest or baggy on the waist I find.

I couldn't squeeze into an 8 if I greased myself in butter first XD

Yeah I do have a fairly large chest (30FF)

Thigh gap, don't think I've had one of those since birth :tongue:

Sounds like I just have much more muscular legs than you tbh!

Oh come on, you know it was a bitchy comment. "Oh you're so much bigger than me how can you possibly be a smaller size? How can you weigh so much less?" I forgive you though.

Yeah my legs are quite slim, my thighs are pretty muscly but still slimmer than most girls I see (if that makes sense). I guess I don't buy many things that sit on the hips ...I know that high waisted stuff I generally have to wear a belt because a size 10 is always too big on the waist (no idea why because it shouldn't be... Guess vanity sizing).

I still don't see how even a size 12 could be too small on you though. Unless your legs are MASSIVE. Or maybe you have a bigger bum but aren't measuring your hips in the right place? Mine is 39 but that's around the widest part where you're supposed to measure... If I measure where my hip bones are its 35.

It's possible that some of those guys think you're a bit out of their league now. :wink:

But anyway stop trying to look like what "most guys" seem to like. I mean, think about it, if you try to model your appearance and perhaps even your personality on that then who would the guy be dating, you or the persona you've adopted? If you like the way look and feel then don't change at all. Even if a guy who likes curvy women is uncommon (I don't think that's the case, but just for argument's sake), eventually you'll find one and he'll like you just the way you are. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

I have the same measurements as you, am 5'3, a size 6/8 and weigh 50.2 kg :/

The world makes no sense.
maybe since you gained weight you got hotter to the point some men are too intimidated to approach you

maybe its because you are older, also it could be you have gone from a boyish figure to a manly figure how bulky are you exactly
I think it's all perception to be honest.

I've always been thin, I'm 5 foot 5, and 8 stone, I used to be 7 and a half stone too. However, I feel that, I was perceived to be a lot more attractive a few years ago. I used to get a lot more attention when clubbing, but nowadays I get a lot less.

In the past 3 years, there has been quite a big shift in beauty perceptions, up until a few years ago, slim physiques were mostly appreciated, but recently it's all about big bums. So I feel a lot less attractive now than I used to, and I get less attention.

So like you, but the reverse :tongue: I wonder whether we're attributing our lack of attention to our bodies, when it's something else though....
Original post by josh75
maybe its because you are older, also it could be you have gone from a boyish figure to a manly figure how bulky are you exactly

LOL.
Original post by josh75

Not bulky at all, I've got quite muscular thighs but it's not blatantly obvious unless I tense. The rest of me is quite slender, I don't look big or manly at all... Aside from being quite tall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending