The Student Room Group

First Car

Hi!

I am 18 years old, passed my test almost a year ago, and I am now looking for my first car (manual).

I have narrowed down my choices to in order of preference: Hyundai i20, Mazda 2 and Peugeot 208

I would like to get anyone’s opinion, who knows cars a lot better than I do, on which they think is best.

I have received an insurance quote for a 2019 1.2L Hyundai i20 (I haven’t checked others yet) which came out as 1.1k.

I am looking to get a car based on its reliability and overall functioning. Cost isn’t really an issue (6.5k is the most id spend) because I have been working for over 2 years and saving up for this car (which will be bought completely by myself inc. 80% of the insurance). I am also investing quite a lot of money into this car as I am looking to keep it for at least 5 years as I need it for uni and work. I understand that some of you may think this is unrealistic but as I am putting my own money into this car, I am going to drive safely and protect it with my life😭

*Also I have looked at other popular first cars (vw polo/golf, corsa, yaris, fiesta etc) and to be honest, I’m not really a fan of them and have narrowed it down to these three only, but if anyone does have strong alternative suggestions I’ll be happy to hear them out.

Any opinions appreciated :smile:
I used to have a hyundai i20. Mine was a 2010 (60 plate though). It was a great car and i never had any trouble with it. I loved it. I also had another hyundai before that (a hyundai getz).
Mazdas are deffo worth looking into. They are good cars. A friend of mine swears by mazdas and wont have anything else.
Reply 2
I'd look at the Hyundai and Mazda as favourite options. Hyundais are built very cheaply so will feel rattly and plasticy but are reliable otherwise. Mazdas are a lot more solid, but older models can rust so bring someone with you who can have a look underneath for you (unless you are confident doing this)

Other options I'd look at (excluding the ones you said you didnt want...):

Volkswagen UP! / Seat Mii / Skoda Citigo

Vauxhall Adam

Fiat Panda

Honda Jazz

Skoda Fabia

Seat Ibiza

If it were me in your situation I'd pick Skoda Fabia / Seat Ibiza / VW Polo but of course a lot of it is personal preference. Those VW based cars will drive the best and feel the most solid however
Original post by Emma:-)
I used to have a hyundai i20. Mine was a 2010 (60 plate though). It was a great car and i never had any trouble with it. I loved it. I also had another hyundai before that (a hyundai getz).
Mazdas are deffo worth looking into. They are good cars. A friend of mine swears by mazdas and wont have anything else.
Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by oligti
I'd look at the Hyundai and Mazda as favourite options. Hyundais are built very cheaply so will feel rattly and plasticy but are reliable otherwise. Mazdas are a lot more solid, but older models can rust so bring someone with you who can have a look underneath for you (unless you are confident doing this)
Other options I'd look at (excluding the ones you said you didnt want...):

Volkswagen UP! / Seat Mii / Skoda Citigo

Vauxhall Adam

Fiat Panda

Honda Jazz

Skoda Fabia

Seat Ibiza

If it were me in your situation I'd pick Skoda Fabia / Seat Ibiza / VW Polo but of course a lot of it is personal preference. Those VW based cars will drive the best and feel the most solid however
Thank you so much for your advice, really appreciate it :smile: Would love a polo or ibiza but insurance is so high

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending