The Student Room Group

Why do refugees specifically have to come to the UK?

Scroll to see replies

At least on this thread no emotional leftie has said something along the lines of 'we're all human'. So what.
Original post by sdotd
free housing
free money
free healthcare
no need to work

Majority come from Europe from poorer European states.
Original post by Wellzi
An ageing population should only ever be countered with a higher birth rate, it's our own fault that it's happening, and becoming a multicultural failure of a nation by a quick fix with immigration will prove disastrous.

Most multicultural parts of the country are the most prosperous?

so LOL
Original post by Fango_Jett
To claim benefits of course. Why bother going to countries like the UAE, Qatar, Saudi where they actually have to work for a living when they could get a free ride for them and their families.

Wow.

Do you know that the Gulf countries AREN'T accepting Syrian refugees.

Get educated before you speak up.
Original post by tehforum
Wow.

Do you know that the Gulf countries AREN'T accepting Syrian refugees.

Get educated before you speak up.

We're hardly accepting any either, same for a lot of European countries, but yet they come here anyway.
Original post by Fango_Jett
We're hardly accepting any either, same for a lot of European countries, but yet they come here anyway.

That's not true if you look at the stats.

Yes, UK currently has taken in 200 or so Syrians (IIRC), though I've seen 2000 bandied about somewhere.

Cameron has introduced a plan to take refugees from refugees camps, and not those who have risked their lives and spent hundreds or thousands of pounds in an attempt to get to the UK which is admirable.
(edited 8 years ago)
I can't speak in a general sense for everyone that wants to come, but I recently transcribed an interview with someone who fled to the UK for my friends film project. He may not be from Syria but maybe it will give some small insight into some thoughts that bring people here.

Brief background, he fled from Eritrea. The way he described the media's portrayal of Europe was amazing and wonderful. The way he described his government made me think of North Korea. The president there has been in charge for 27 years, there's 1 political party and they apparently don't care about their people. Given the tensions with Ethiopia after a past war, everyone in Eritrea is forced into national service. If you refuse, he said they'd lock you up for up to 5 years before telling you once more to join. The quality of life and lack of freedom lead to his decision to flee, and given how he said you'd be shot if you got caught you can tell this doesn't come lightly. Even when he got to Sudan and Libya, he couldn't go outside because their governments would find refugees and imprison or take them back. When he eventually got to Europe after a journey that I can only describe as hell, he felt free for the first time. But Europe is a big place, so in Italy they had to decide where to go next. Having family in France, he decided to go there and stay with a relative. Before eventually making the journey to the UK.

Why the UK? He listed 3 reasons. Language, education, work. English being a language so universal even he had managed to learn enough to communicate, he knew the UK was somewhere he could talk to anyone if he needed to. The chance at an education that wasn't "just enough to be a competent soldier" gave him the idea that he could train in any field. The UK being shown as a good, industrious nation made him think he would always be able to find a job. This in mind, he came to the UK and told them of his journey when he arrived which granted him Asylum.

Even if there is not an outright war, it doesn't mean things are ok or even acceptable. With a place like how he described Eritrea, I know fine well I would run away at my first opportunity, war or not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Bill_Gates
Most multicultural parts of the country are the most prosperous?

so LOL

Is that so? Where are your statistics?
Original post by Wellzi
Is that so? Where are your statistics?

London accounts for 22% of GDP

very multicultural
Reply 29
Original post by Bill_Gates
Majority come from Europe from poorer European states.

most people from the middle east claim asylum i another eu country then make it to the UK
Original post by sdotd
most people from the middle east claim asylum i another eu country then make it to the UK

Most people from the middle east LOL what are you on. They are stupid rich hence why the UK want's to invade every other day.

It's indigenous population cannot work or knows what hard work is. Falling behind every day as super powers RISE!
They don't. Only the countries nearest to them are legally obliged to accept them, unless they bought expensive plane tickets so as to make Britain the first place that they arrived at.
Original post by The Angry Stoic
I have a question for any one concerned about the refugee crisis, which I hope is everone! As the picture tries to convey, the refugees are fleeing the war in Syria and many wish to come to the UK or other western European states. However there isn't war in the surrounding Arab or Turkish nations or in the Balkans.

Unlike many people who have shared this picture I am in favour of the UK doing its part to help the refugees but I don't see why it has to be by allowing them to come here. Why can't the UK pay for the housing, support and potentially settlement of refugees in the nations surrounding Syria?

This would remove many problems and concerns people raise concerning refugees. It removes the need to transport refugees hundreds of miles, it allows them to far more easily return home when the war is over, they would be in countries with far more similar cultures to them allowing much easier integration etc. They could even be allowed to work in those countries to stimulate their economies, which those countries need much more than the UK, and to provide for themselves.

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

It's very simple (and your outrage facile), it's because there is another route that can be taken: due east into the Mediterranean, after which France, Italy or Greece (or a few little ones) could be the first country.
Original post by Skyy9432
I can't speak in a general sense for everyone that wants to come, but I recently transcribed an interview with someone who fled to the UK for my friends film project. He may not be from Syria but maybe it will give some small insight into some thoughts that bring people here.

Brief background, he fled from Eritrea. The way he described the media's portrayal of Europe was amazing and wonderful. The way he described his government made me think of North Korea. The president there has been in charge for 27 years, there's 1 political party and they apparently don't care about their people. Given the tensions with Ethiopia after a past war, everyone in Eritrea is forced into national service. If you refuse, he said they'd lock you up for up to 5 years before telling you once more to join. The quality of life and lack of freedom lead to his decision to flee, and given how he said you'd be shot if you got caught you can tell this doesn't come lightly. Even when he got to Sudan and Libya, he couldn't go outside because their governments would find refugees and imprison or take them back. When he eventually got to Europe after a journey that I can only describe as hell, he felt free for the first time. But Europe is a big place, so in Italy they had to decide where to go next. Having family in France, he decided to go there and stay with a relative. Before eventually making the journey to the UK.

Why the UK? He listed 3 reasons. Language, education, work. English being a language so universal even he had managed to learn enough to communicate, he knew the UK was somewhere he could talk to anyone if he needed to. The chance at an education that wasn't "just enough to be a competent soldier" gave him the idea that he could train in any field. The UK being shown as a good, industrious nation made him think he would always be able to find a job. This in mind, he came to the UK and told them of his journey when he arrived which granted him Asylum.

Even if there is not an outright war, it doesn't mean things are ok or even acceptable. With a place like how he described Eritrea, I know fine well I would run away at my first opportunity, war or not.

Please describe the journey.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Why did you put "come to the UK" in your title and then admit in your first paragraph that their target is W. Europe? Trying to get an audience for the thread or do you choose to ignore that overwhelmingly they are trying to reach Germany? For pretty obvious reasons in that it offers the potential to earn a decent living and so far has made welcoming gestures unlike the UK, where the Tory shires and UKIP trolls rule the roost via their tame poodles in the lying and distorting mass media..

So you are suggesting that they are economic migrants? A refugee does not have that mentality - by definition and by law.
Please describe the journey.

I don't know how much detail I can go into, given that this is a story he trusted us with on the grounds that it's going into this short film, but I'll try and give you an overview with hopefully enough detail.

The Eritrean people are forced into national service at 18, "We are to live for them, but they don't care about us". The government can't really pay them but they have to do it. If they find you trying to flee, they can make the call to shoot or imprison you there and then.

He and some others fled to Sudan on foot for 4 hours. Some Sudanese people found them and took them to a camp. There wasn't much food at the camp, but you could contact smugglers. They take 800 SDG and they transported them to Khartoum. It wasn't safe there as they rounded up whoever they found, but he stayed for 6 months and didn't manage to get enough money for the journey, but "good people" helped him.

These new smugglers were "crazy" Libyan men, they got high on drugs and abused the people they smuggled, but you had to take it or die/be handed in. They took them in land-rovers for a weeks journey across the Sahara, the hardest trip he has ever experienced. 8 cars, 30 people in each, all sharing a scarce food/water supply with no chance of getting more on the way. Being the desert, at night it was freezing, and during the day it was painfully hot. They ran out of food on the last day but just about made it. One car had it's tyre burst, injuring the passengers as it flipped and killing 2 of them. The smugglers hid the bodies to not be caught while stashing the people away in whatever hole they could. He said the refugee's looked after each other, they had to.

Finally in Libya, they journeyed to the capital, 60 to a truck, covered in washing powder. He never saw Tripoli because he had to hide 24/7 in 3 rooms he shared with 100 people. There, they waited for the Mediterranean to have clear weather so they could pass. A small, damaged wooden boat tried to carry 300 people across the sea, and they were terrified. Partially of capsizing/drowning, but also because the Libyan government patrolled the waters.

An Italian ship rescued them and helped them get to land, from where they traveled 2 hours to a hostel. Despite feeling "relieved" and "free" being in Europe, they went on the run again before their fingerprints could be taken. They made their way to Rome and then France, then changed trains for a journey to Paris, taking them about 6 hours. Paris was beautiful, but he'd decided to go the the UK because he actually spoke the language, as well as the chance at education and work.

Surviving Calais for 3 weeks on charity, he learned to spot which trucks were going to the UK (licence plate). Him and some others climbed in one at night and they crossed over. They'd check the weight of the trucks, use cameras and dogs, but this guy wasn't found. In the UK, he banged on the door to be let out and the startled driver called the police. They knew this would happen so they were calm. The police took them to prison before releasing them to a hostel. There they stayed for a few days before the screen interview, which got them sent to a bigger hostel in Wakefield. 3 weeks later they got moved to Barnsley, had their (successful) asylum application after 3 months and were granted the right to stay in the UK.
Most of the refugees actually don't want to specifically come to the UK. Places like Germany and Sweden are preferred destinations for lots of refugees.

That's not true if you look at the stats.

Yes, UK currently has taken in 200 or so Syrians (IIRC), though I've seen 2000 bandied about somewhere.

Cameron has introduced a plan to take refugees from refugees camps, and not those who have risked their lives and spent hundreds or thousands of pounds in an attempt to get to the UK which is admirable.

We've taken in a few hundred based on a UN scheme (Germany about 35000, Canada 10000, Australia around 6000, from the same scheme) but a few thousand overall from Syria (still not loads compared to some other countries). However we've contributed the most money to refugees from Syria, or something like that. I was reading about it earlier, I'll try to find a link.
Original post by CheetahCurtis
Most of the refugees actually don't want to specifically come to the UK. Places like Germany and Sweden are preferred destinations for lots of refugees.

We've taken in a few hundred based on a UN scheme (Germany about 35000, Canada 10000, Australia around 6000, from the same scheme) but a few thousand overall from Syria (still not loads compared to some other countries). However we've contributed the most money to refugees from Syria, or something like that. I was reading about it earlier, I'll try to find a link.

900million, most in the EU, second after the US in the world. which has gone towards funding refugee camps
900million, most in the EU, second after the US in the world. which has gone towards funding refugee camps

Most in EU, that's what I meant :smile:
Original post by sdotd
free housing
free money
free healthcare
no need to work

Where do I apply for all these 'free' things? Nothing is ever free. Anyway,the UK offers them a lot of opportunities. I would welcome them into my house,it's big enough and most likely give them free money

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending