The Student Room Group

Why do refugees specifically have to come to the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skyy9432
I don't know how much detail I can go into, given that this is a story he trusted us with on the grounds that it's going into this short film, but I'll try and give you an overview with hopefully enough detail.

The Eritrean people are forced into national service at 18, "We are to live for them, but they don't care about us". The government can't really pay them but they have to do it. If they find you trying to flee, they can make the call to shoot or imprison you there and then.

He and some others fled to Sudan on foot for 4 hours. Some Sudanese people found them and took them to a camp. There wasn't much food at the camp, but you could contact smugglers. They take 800 SDG and they transported them to Khartoum. It wasn't safe there as they rounded up whoever they found, but he stayed for 6 months and didn't manage to get enough money for the journey, but "good people" helped him.

These new smugglers were "crazy" Libyan men, they got high on drugs and abused the people they smuggled, but you had to take it or die/be handed in. They took them in land-rovers for a weeks journey across the Sahara, the hardest trip he has ever experienced. 8 cars, 30 people in each, all sharing a scarce food/water supply with no chance of getting more on the way. Being the desert, at night it was freezing, and during the day it was painfully hot. They ran out of food on the last day but just about made it. One car had it's tyre burst, injuring the passengers as it flipped and killing 2 of them. The smugglers hid the bodies to not be caught while stashing the people away in whatever hole they could. He said the refugee's looked after each other, they had to.

Finally in Libya, they journeyed to the capital, 60 to a truck, covered in washing powder. He never saw Tripoli because he had to hide 24/7 in 3 rooms he shared with 100 people. There, they waited for the Mediterranean to have clear weather so they could pass. A small, damaged wooden boat tried to carry 300 people across the sea, and they were terrified. Partially of capsizing/drowning, but also because the Libyan government patrolled the waters.

An Italian ship rescued them and helped them get to land, from where they traveled 2 hours to a hostel. Despite feeling "relieved" and "free" being in Europe, they went on the run again before their fingerprints could be taken. They made their way to Rome and then France, then changed trains for a journey to Paris, taking them about 6 hours. Paris was beautiful, but he'd decided to go the the UK because he actually spoke the language, as well as the chance at education and work.

Surviving Calais for 3 weeks on charity, he learned to spot which trucks were going to the UK (licence plate). Him and some others climbed in one at night and they crossed over. They'd check the weight of the trucks, use cameras and dogs, but this guy wasn't found. In the UK, he banged on the door to be let out and the startled driver called the police. They knew this would happen so they were calm. The police took them to prison before releasing them to a hostel. There they stayed for a few days before the screen interview, which got them sent to a bigger hostel in Wakefield. 3 weeks later they got moved to Barnsley, had their (successful) asylum application after 3 months and were granted the right to stay in the UK.

Wow, he went through a lot. I can't imagine what he must had gone through. His journey was truly commendable and I am happy he got an asylum at the end. No human being should be made to go through what he went through. :sad:
In Hungary /Turkey /Jordan and the other safer countries they house refugees in refugee camps, there is no benefits/no hospitals and no education/opportunities for the kids.

This is a photo of a camp in Turkey

Another camp in Jordan

Once in the "Richer European countries" they are immediately given a house, their children are sent to school with other kids, they get benefits and they can bring their family over.

Just watch the thousands that will risk their life's in the coming months to get to Germany
(edited 8 years ago)
Saudi and other arab states should be ashamed
Original post by The Angry Stoic
I have a question for any one concerned about the refugee crisis, which I hope is everone! As the picture tries to convey, the refugees are fleeing the war in Syria and many wish to come to the UK or other western European states. However there isn't war in the surrounding Arab or Turkish nations or in the Balkans.

Unlike many people who have shared this picture I am in favour of the UK doing its part to help the refugees but I don't see why it has to be by allowing them to come here. Why can't the UK pay for the housing, support and potentially settlement of refugees in the nations surrounding Syria?

This would remove many problems and concerns people raise concerning refugees. It removes the need to transport refugees hundreds of miles, it allows them to far more easily return home when the war is over, they would be in countries with far more similar cultures to them allowing much easier integration etc. They could even be allowed to work in those countries to stimulate their economies, which those countries need much more than the UK, and to provide for themselves.

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

You're presumably aware that Turkey - the closest country to Syria on the Western side - has taken 1.7m Syrian refugees? Meanwhile, we're quibbling over tens of thousands.
Original post by queen-bee
Where do I apply for all these 'free' things? Nothing is ever free. Anyway,the UK offers them a lot of opportunities. I would welcome them into my house,it's big enough and most likely give them free money

The gulf states have accepted ZERO refugees yet they fund many militant groups in Syria.How does that make you feel ?
Original post by Vanny17
Wow, he went through a lot. I can't imagine what he must had gone through. His journey was truly commendable and I am happy he got an asylum at the end. No human being should be made to go through what he went through. :sad:

Indeed, really gives you perspective. If he'd go through that to live in England then he's worked harder than half the people that want him gone.
Original post by sdotd
benefits

You're delusional if you actually think this is why they want to come here. And people be talking like millions of refugees/migrants are trying to force their way into the UK...there are 4000 at Calais...compare that to the 1.7 million in Turkey.
because the rich arab countries are smart enough not to take them
Reply 48
It's because they all want me to marry their daughters.
Original post by Skyy9432
Indeed, really gives you perspective. If he'd go through that to live in England then he's worked harder than half the people that want him gone.

Exactly, I agree with you absolutely!
Be human, not not British. Be humane.
[video="youtube;a-fpErJhHDk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fpErJhHDk[/video]
Reply 52
To be fair, the UK, France and US lead the charge and supported the "Arab Spring". Now it didn't turned out to be a spring, more like a nightmare ...ISIS in Syria, Iraq ... Libya, Tunisia. Egypt nearly going to Muslim Brotherhood.The UK, France, US and the West effectively created these refugees, we have a moral duty to correct this.
Reply 53
Original post by Bill_Gates
London accounts for 22% of GDP

very multicultural

Correlation does not imply causation. Londons wealth is due to the financial sector, which is dominated by white British, mostlly men.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Hey Stoic, long time no see :hi:

It's because the UK is rich and has the resources to deal with a large number of them.

lel
Original post by Wellzi
Correlation does not imply causation. Londons wealth is due to the financial sector, which is dominated by white British, mostlly men.

LOL sorry clearly you have not worked in the financial sector. It is even more multicultural than London itself.
Because they are ADELE fanatics and they have learned the great news that she's releasing an album this November.
Original post by _icecream
In Hungary /Turkey /Jordan and the other safer countries they house refugees in refugee camps, there is no benefits/no hospitals and no education/opportunities for the kids.

This is a photo of a camp in Turkey

Another camp in Jordan

Once in the "Richer European countries" they are immediately given a house, their children are sent to school with other kids, they get benefits and they can bring their family over.

Just watch the thousands that will risk their life's in the coming months to get to Germany

Yeah and this will be the same scene across Europe very soon if they dont start controlling the numbers coming in.
This might very well be the end of Europe as we know it. At the very least the "generous" welfare system is gonna collapse all across the continent and then the real chaos will ensue!
(edited 8 years ago)
That is the plan. White genocide
Original post by The Angry Stoic
I have a question for any one concerned about the refugee crisis, which I hope is everone! As the picture tries to convey, the refugees are fleeing the war in Syria and many wish to come to the UK or other western European states. However there isn't war in the surrounding Arab or Turkish nations or in the Balkans.

Unlike many people who have shared this picture I am in favour of the UK doing its part to help the refugees but I don't see why it has to be by allowing them to come here. Why can't the UK pay for the housing, support and potentially settlement of refugees in the nations surrounding Syria?

This would remove many problems and concerns people raise concerning refugees. It removes the need to transport refugees hundreds of miles, it allows them to far more easily return home when the war is over, they would be in countries with far more similar cultures to them allowing much easier integration etc. They could even be allowed to work in those countries to stimulate their economies, which those countries need much more than the UK, and to provide for themselves.

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

They don't need to come here as soon as they pass one safe country they become an economic migrant and should be subject to the same rules for intake as any normal migrant.

The solution is simple don't let them in!

If we want to be generous and send aid (which we already do) then we can.

Even then I have a problem with it when budgets are being slashed here and the tax payer is just giving money away rather than to the poor/disabled here

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending