The Student Room Group

Why do refugees specifically have to come to the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bill_Gates
London accounts for 22% of GDP

very multicultural

Yea and it didn't before we started mass importing people? Oh right it did lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Northamger Abbey
That is the plan. White genocide

Oh no! Save your complexion before it is tainted by these impure people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
The gulf states have accepted ZERO refugees yet they fund many militant groups in Syria.How does that make you feel ?

I feel angry. As Arabs,we share a common language and most common religion/culture. We should be united but our leaders are bastards.
Reply 63
Because Britain is also responsible for the crisis so Britain should take in atleast 30,000.
Why do people say that free healthcare is the big draw to the UK?

I would have thought it was the flexible labour market and the jobs miracle that the Conservative government has overseen.

When the government finally gets to grips with Communist healthcare and privatises it thats when the immigrants will flood in to enjoy the improved standards of healthcare that come from the efficiency drives of privatisation.
Original post by Mrs X
what about other rich countries as UAE? they are Muslims countries too and much richer than we are.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3222405/How-six-wealthiest-Gulf-Nations-refused-single-Syrian-refugee.html

Because they are oil extracting rentier monarchies whose states and rulers are moral vacuums. They can never be of any assistance to anybody but themselves.

P.S: Unless its helping Saudi Arabia fight illegal wars in the Yemen. Then they are on board.

11934998_927724713966857_8428981617736288280_n.jpg
They're greedy as ****.
Original post by paul514
Yea and it didn't before we started mass importing people? Oh right it did lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? Not 22% or anywhere near. Before the era of globalisation. Even Birmingham (Another multicultural city mind you) played an enormous role in development of the UK, largely thanks to new migrants.
Original post by thepizzabiscuit
There is SO much more opportunity for refugees in Western countries, but they may be coming to the UK because:
1) We provide free healthcare/education.
2) They may be more informed about the immigration process (asylum seeking, visa applications) because information is more readily available.
3) There is more opportunity to claim benefits

But anyway, what are your views on the crisis and should we let more people in? Be honest

My views, in short, our aid should be focused in providing the financial means to house refugees in the states surrounding Syria and we should put more pressure on the Gulf states to do something. We should take a limited number of refugees, directly from refugees camps in Syria or on the border, and should focus primarily on the most persecuted minorities, gays, Christians, atheists. I'd say Jews too but I don't think there are any left!
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Why did you put "come to the UK" in your title and then admit in your first paragraph that their target is W. Europe? Trying to get an audience for the thread or do you choose to ignore that overwhelmingly they are trying to reach Germany? For pretty obvious reasons in that it offers the potential to earn a decent living and so far has made welcoming gestures unlike the UK, where the Tory shires and UKIP trolls rule the roost via their tame poodles in the lying and distorting mass media..

I was going for the more catchy title. Do we have any data on where people leaving Syria claim their prefered destinations are?
Every country should take an equal burden. UK has played a large role in overseas conflicts and plays a large role in military arms sales.

What's right is right. Dave wanted to arm the FSA and directly intervene in Syria at one point. We should welcome the refugees with open arms.

Is financially supporting the refugees in the locality of Syria not taking our share in a more effective way considerong the pounts I made and and others?
Original post by The Angry Stoic
Is financially supporting the refugees in the locality of Syria not taking our share in a more effective way considerong the pounts I made and and others?

Problem is you can't set up an effective long term community. Can you really build adequate hospitals, schools, infrastructure and meet the needs of the people in a camp?
Original post by richpanda
At least on this thread no emotional leftie has said something along the lines of 'we're all human'. So what.

Don't get me wrong I want to help the refugees, just in an effective and sustainable way.
Problem is you can't set up an effective long term community. Can you really build adequate hospitals, schools, infrastructure and meet the needs of the people in a camp?

True, no. But we could pay for the refugees to be integrated into the infrastructure of surrounding nations. This cash flow could actually do the nations a lot of good too!
True, no. But we could pay for the refugees to be integrated into the infrastructure of surrounding nations. This cash flow could actually do the nations a lot of good too!

Which surrounding nations do you suggest? France, Germany?

Having them in camps simply won't work.
Which surrounding nations do you suggest? France, Germany?

Having them in camps simply won't work.

Turkey, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, Jordan, Lebbanon, Arabia, Kuwait, Egypt, Hungary, Crete? Why not literally appropriate an island like the Egyptian billionaire suggested?
Original post by tehforum
That's not true if you look at the stats.

Yes, UK currently has taken in 200 or so Syrians (IIRC), though I've seen 2000 bandied about somewhere.

Cameron has introduced a plan to take refugees from refugees camps, and not those who have risked their lives and spent hundreds or thousands of pounds in an attempt to get to the UK which is admirable.

Why is it admirable?

The people in Calais are already in France. They are safe there. We should be taking people who are in direct danger from ISIS.
Original post by ShadowHawks000
Yeah and this will be the same scene across Europe very soon if they dont start controlling the numbers coming in.
This might very well be the end of Europe as we know it. At the very least the "generous" welfare system is gonna collapse all across the continent and then the real chaos will ensue!

Wait for 10,000 people arriving in Germany every week they don't know what exactly they are putting themselves into, although I have nothing against the Syrian refugees I would help these people by getting to the root causes of the problem. I'm sure once the issues are sorted out in their own country then they have no reason to flee.
Why is it admirable?

The people in Calais are already in France. They are safe there. We should be taking people who are in direct danger from ISIS.

I was referring to those in refugee camps.
Original post by _icecream
Wait for 10,000 people arriving in Germany every week they don't know what exactly they are putting themselves into, although I have nothing against the Syrian refugees I would help these people by getting to the root causes of the problem. I'm sure once the issues are sorted out in their own country then they have no reason to flee.

They get more than 15,000 a week

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending