The Student Room Group

AS maths

For my As maths I got a B with a total UMS of 225 OF C1, C2 AND D1. I wanted to know if theoretically it is possible for me to get an A or an A* next year if I DON'T resit any modules. Will I be able to achieve an a*/A if i work really hard, or is it impossible for me to get that in year 13?
please give me details of how much extra UMS i need,as much details as possible will be good.My exam board is edexcel.

I need to know this to decide if i need to resit any modules. thank you so much.
Reply 1
In order to get an A* in A-Level Maths, you have to achieve 480 ums overall including an average of 90 ums between C3 and C4. To get an A, you just have to get 480 ums. If you got a B in AS Maths, truth be told, it's unlikely you'll get an A* in A-Level as C3 and C4 are significantly harder than C1 and C2. However, it would be possible for you to get the A* without retaking any modules if you get an average of 90 between C3 and C4 and get 75 in your applied module.

To get an A, you would need 255 overall in the 3 modules which averages 85 per module. This is certainly achievable but I would recommend resitting one or two of your modules in order to take pressure off C3 and C4
Just do a past paper for c1 and c2 each fortnight and do the soloman papers, and just resit c1 and c2 and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by tebr
In order to get an A* in A-Level Maths, you have to achieve 480 ums overall including an average of 90 ums between C3 and C4. To get an A, you just have to get 480 ums. If you got a B in AS Maths, truth be told, it's unlikely you'll get an A* in A-Level as C3 and C4 are significantly harder than C1 and C2. However, it would be possible for you to get the A* without retaking any modules if you get an average of 90 between C3 and C4 and get 75 in your applied module.

To get an A, you would need 255 overall in the 3 modules which averages 85 per module. This is certainly achievable but I would recommend resitting one or two of your modules in order to take pressure off C3 and C4

Thank you so much. I just want to confirm, that even if someone got an A in AS and exceeded the 480 Ums but they didn't get 180 ums between C3 and C4, would they only get an A overall?
Reply 4
Original post by Jelin jose
Thank you so much. I just want to confirm, that even if someone got an A in AS and exceeded the 480 Ums but they didn't get 180 ums between C3 and C4, would they only get an A overall?

Yes you must average 90% in C3 and C4 otherwise it's an A only
Reply 5
Original post by RonnieRJ

Ohh right thank you.

Did you get an A* at maths, just curious.
Reply 7
Original post by Conservationofmass
Did you get an A* at maths, just curious.

A level?
Doing A2 this year but got an A at AS.
A level?
Doing A2 this year but got an A at AS.

Oh right, yeah I just wondered if you had got that at A2, I'm in the same position :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest