The Student Room Group

Ask Peterhouse!

Hi all,

The Peterhouse Admissions Team are back for another two-week thread leading up to our open day on the 19th. Ask us anything about applying, studying and living at Peterhouse. If we can't answer it, we'll find someone (academic, lecturer, current student) who can!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi all,

The Peterhouse Admissions Team are back for another two-week thread leading up to out open day on the 19th. Ask us anything about applying, studying and living at Peterhouse. If we can't answer it, we'll find someone (academic, lecturer, current student) who can!

Is it true that Peterhouse is haunted?
(Probably not the type of question you were thinking of, but I've been wondering for a while!)
Reply 2
I asked somewhere else but I will ask again here.

How do you interview candidates signing up for the maths+physics option? Is there a seperate physics interview? Or do you talk about physics in one of the maths interviews? It says the entry requirements are the same but I expect you'd want proof of some physics ability/knowledge?
Original post by Banana00
Is it true that Peterhouse is haunted?
(Probably not the type of question you were thinking of, but I've been wondering for a while!)

Is there a College which isn't? Can't say I've ever seen a ghost here though.
Original post by to4ka
I asked somewhere else but I will ask again here.

How do you interview candidates signing up for the maths+physics option? Is there a seperate physics interview? Or do you talk about physics in one of the maths interviews? It says the entry requirements are the same but I expect you'd want proof of some physics ability/knowledge?

Hi, at Peterhouse, candidates for maths with physics have an extra physics interview in addition to the interviews/tests sat by maths applicants. Other Colleges might do things differently.
For Economics, is Maths UMS more important than Economics UMS as I have 100% in Maths but only (by Cambridge standards) 94% in Economics. Will this disadvantage my application? And furthermore, is it okay if I have done the whole of A-Level Maths in year 12 and am doing the whole of A-Level F.Maths in year 13?
Reply 6
Original post by J.M.Keynes
For Economics, is Maths UMS more important than Economics UMS as I have 100% in Maths but only (by Cambridge standards) 94% in Economics. Will this disadvantage my application? And furthermore, is it okay if I have done the whole of A-Level Maths in year 12 and am doing the whole of A-Level F.Maths in year 13?

You've already asked an AT...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517571&page=43&highlight=&p=58867965#post58867965
Original post by J.M.Keynes

I'm happy if people want to ask Peterhouse something they've already asked Christ's - Colleges do sometimes differ in their views.

I think Peterhouse would have a similar view to Christ's on this. Maths is more important but you have strong scores (94% is NOT weak). We can see the modules you have sat and any offer will be set taking these into account.
Reply 8
I'm happy if people want to ask Peterhouse something they've already asked Christ's - Colleges do sometimes differ in their views.

Noted :smile:
Reply 9
Do you have any preferences about which maths modules people take? I'm thinking of taking some extra modules (since if I get a STEP offer for CompSci with Maths from Cambridge or elsewhere I'd have to learn the content anyway), but I don't know whether to take extra mechanics or statistics. I got the impression that Christ's preferred mechanics, but I don't know if that's a university wide opinion, or just them.
Reply 10
I want to apply for Physical NatSci (going down the physics route) and have just started my AS-levels today. Currently doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. The cambridge website says that AS or A Level Further Maths would be 'useful'. I plan to take an AS in Further Maths next year, after I've dropped Biology. Would doing AS Further Maths in Year 13 make my application weaker than someone doing a full A-level in Further Maths? And would taking AS FM in Year 13 be okay, since there wouldn't be any UMS marks to show for it until after I've made my application?
Reply 11
I have noticed that many colleges encourage engineering applicants to take a gap year and work in industry or similar. I have no intentions of taking a gap year, will this affect my engineering application to Peterhouse and if so then to what extent?
Hello, I am a student who came from China two years ago. I want to study Chemical Engineering in Cambridge and I have taken Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths in my A level. As English is not my first language and I started GCSE English coursework as soon as I came here, I have a C in GCSE English and A* in IGCSE English. I believe that the C in GCSE English cannot represent my actual English grade. However, do I need to reset the GCSE English test to meet the language requirement or shall I take IELTS as an additional evidence for my application?
Hi all,

The Peterhouse Admissions Team are back for another two-week thread leading up to out open day on the 19th. Ask us anything about applying, studying and living at Peterhouse. If we can't answer it, we'll find someone (academic, lecturer, current student) who can!

Hello Peterhouse Admissions,

I have a number of queries, if that's okay. :smile:

Firstly, as far as (post-A2) resit applicants for science subjects go, is it a safe bet that a UMS average below 85 percent is likely to receive an automatic rejection?

Secondly, if I were to take up an additional A-level in my gap year to make for the lack of one A*, would that count as a resit? I've completed my A-levels this year and am on a gap year but only got A*AAB in chemistry, biology, physics and maths, respectively. I didn't think I'd want to apply to Cambridge but I've been toying with the idea of doing a further maths A-level in my gap year (just for the fun of it) and I wonder if Peterhouse sees that as a third year of A-levels?

Lastly, is the policy regarding post-A2 resits and/or doing a fifth A-level in my gap year particularly strict when it comes to applying for a highly competitive course like medicine?

Sorry for rambling - I just don't want to have to ask too many follow-up question! :colondollar: Thanks in advance for any advice. :smile:
Regarding AS UMS I am a bit confused as to how you compare students. More specifically, for Computer Science (w/Maths).

So, to my understanding something called "Best 3 UMS" is used, consisting of the best 3 relevant UMS average correct? My question is, do they consider what subjects end up being part of that Best 3 UMS as well? For example, say we have two applicants with very similar "Best 3 UMS", however one of theirs is their Maths, Further Maths and Physics scores used, and the other uses Maths, Physics, Chemistry - who would be considered the applicant with the best exam results (just assuming they both did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and got 3 A's and a B each just for example)?

Additionally, what has screwed over me and 100% of my friends doing Further Maths AS is that we had to do M2 instead of D1, is this something considered? Only two people in my year got an A in the M2 exam, yet 5 people in my year managed to get an A overall in Further Maths. We all dreaded M2 because it was so much harder than every other exam we took, and although I personally still achieved a high score, I worry that this one exam has ruined a lot of my friends chances :/

Thank you for making this thread, it's always lovely to see you putting in the time to help us! :smile:
Hi all,

Will you take this person and give them the offer they deserve

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3573431
Original post by CalumW
I want to apply for Physical NatSci (going down the physics route) and have just started my AS-levels today. Currently doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. The cambridge website says that AS or A Level Further Maths would be 'useful'. I plan to take an AS in Further Maths next year, after I've dropped Biology. Would doing AS Further Maths in Year 13 make my application weaker than someone doing a full A-level in Further Maths? And would taking AS FM in Year 13 be okay, since there wouldn't be any UMS marks to show for it until after I've made my application?

The more maths the better! Doing more maths and being happier with it will set you up to do well with the more mathematical courses within Natural Sciences. The extent to which your A level choices affect your application depend on your subject choices within the first year of natural sciences. Maths, Physics and Chemistry is great preparation for Natural Sciences and we'd rather you excel in 3 subjects than do less well in 4.
Original post by Gwenuin
I have noticed that many colleges encourage engineering applicants to take a gap year and work in industry or similar. I have no intentions of taking a gap year, will this affect my engineering application to Peterhouse and if so then to what extent?

We're happy to consider gap year applicants if they have something worthwhile planned but there's no expectation that you would have one and we don't require Engineering applicants to have done any work experience. The majority of Engineering applicants don't take gap years.
Original post by wuhuapple001
Hello, I am a student who came from China two years ago. I want to study Chemical Engineering in Cambridge and I have taken Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths in my A level. As English is not my first language and I started GCSE English coursework as soon as I came here, I have a C in GCSE English and A* in IGCSE English. I believe that the C in GCSE English cannot represent my actual English grade. However, do I need to reset the GCSE English test to meet the language requirement or shall I take IELTS as an additional evidence for my application?

We like to see some evidence of English language ability before interview, but being taught and examined in English for two years is probably enough. Your English language ability will be tested as part of any interview and if there are concerns an IELTS condition would be added to any conditional offer made.
Original post by Hydeman
Hello Peterhouse Admissions,

I have a number of queries, if that's okay. :smile:

Firstly, as far as (post-A2) resit applicants for science subjects go, is it a safe bet that a UMS average below 85 percent is likely to receive an automatic rejection?

Secondly, if I were to take up an additional A-level in my gap year to make for the lack of one A*, would that count as a resit? I've completed my A-levels this year and am on a gap year but only got A*AAB in chemistry, biology, physics and maths, respectively. I didn't think I'd want to apply to Cambridge but I've been toying with the idea of doing a further maths A-level in my gap year (just for the fun of it) and I wonder if Peterhouse sees that as a third year of A-levels?

Lastly, is the policy regarding post-A2 resits and/or doing a fifth A-level in my gap year particularly strict when it comes to applying for a highly competitive course like medicine?

Sorry for rambling - I just don't want to have to ask too many follow-up question! :colondollar: Thanks in advance for any advice. :smile:

Thanks for posting, we're happy to help.

For post-qualification applicants, the first thing we look at is if you have achieved the typical offer (A*A*A for sciences). If you haven't achieved at this level then, unless there are compelling extenuating circumstances, you are unlikely to be invited to interview. I'm afraid that I think with A*AAB you are unlikely to be considered as a competitive applicant for Medicine. Taking new subjects in your gap year would be see as an additional year of A levels - we like applicants to achieve A*A*A in 3 subjects taken alongside one another. Whilst some resitting is ok and understandable, lots of papers in lots of subject is likely to cause concern.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending