The Student Room Group

Cambridge Engineering

SS
(edited 6 months ago)
Yes (like most people asking this question) your grades are fine. But if you only have grades, it’s a lot hsrder to get in. You need passion & ambition in other areas, alongside good grades, to get into Oxbridge.
Reply 2
Original post by I.Abbz
Hello,Just some backround.
Im a year 12 student going into year 13 with predicted grades A*A*A*
in maths, further maths and physics.
My gcse grades were 9888888766
im have a part time job and doing a 2 week engineering summer school this summer.
To cut to the chase, i was wondering if it is worth applying to Cambridge with these acheivements. i dont wanna waste a choice thats my main concern but ive always wanted to go cambridge.

Thanks

Cambridge doesn't offer a year in industry ....
Original post by I.Abbz
Hello,Just some backround.
Im a year 12 student going into year 13 with predicted grades A*A*A*
in maths, further maths and physics.
My gcse grades were 9888888766
im have a part time job and doing a 2 week engineering summer school this summer.
To cut to the chase, i was wondering if it is worth applying to Cambridge with these acheivements. i dont wanna waste a choice thats my main concern but ive always wanted to go cambridge.

Thanks

Cambridge is always going to be competitive but your track record is strong.

I believe Cambridge has an admissions test (engaa) so id take a look at that first & make sure you feel you can perform competently on that (as I imagine they will use that as a yard stick to evaluate candidates pre-interview) but i see no reason not to apply, your academic background is stellar.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Cambridge is always going to be competitive but your track record is strong.

I believe Cambridge has an admissions test (engaa) so id take a look at that first & make sure you feel you can perform competently on that (as I imagine they will use that as a yard stick to evaluate candidates pre-interview) but i see no reason not to apply, your academic background is stellar.

Not really - Cambridge say this:
"Fourth A Levels
There is no requirement to offer more than three A Levels, and it is recognised that not all schools are able to accommodate students taking four A Levels. Excelling in three A Levels relevant to Engineering is almost always preferable to performing well but not as highly in more than three A Levels.
It is worth noting, however, that there is a high level of synergy between Maths, Further Maths and Physics. This means that, for students who are taking this combination, offering a fourth A Level allows an applicant to demonstrate both high achievement in Maths and the ability to cope with a demanding workload."
So the OP is not as strong as others with 4
Original post by Muttley79
Not really - Cambridge say this:
"Fourth A Levels
There is no requirement to offer more than three A Levels, and it is recognised that not all schools are able to accommodate students taking four A Levels. Excelling in three A Levels relevant to Engineering is almost always preferable to performing well but not as highly in more than three A Levels.
It is worth noting, however, that there is a high level of synergy between Maths, Further Maths and Physics. This means that, for students who are taking this combination, offering a fourth A Level allows an applicant to demonstrate both high achievement in Maths and the ability to cope with a demanding workload."
So the OP is not as strong as others with 4

True but their predictions are A*A*A* coupled to strong GCSEs, and they’d aim for a decent Engaa. A strong fourth A-level would probably slightly enhance there academic resume but everything they have is stellar and I think they could push the boat out with an Oxbridge application. With Oxbridge as with all competitive programs you have to accept you may well be rejected but the only way to guarantee no acceptance is not applying.

@Peterhouse Admissions
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
True but their predictions are A*A*A* coupled to strong GCSEs, and they’d aim for a decent Engaa. A strong fourth A-level would probably slightly enhance there academic resume but everything they have is stellar and I think they could push the boat out with an Oxbridge application. With Oxbridge as with all competitive programs you have to accept you may well be rejected but the only way to guarantee no acceptance is not applying.

@Peterhouse Admissions

We have no idea how realistic those prediction are ... application looks thin to me. What stuff has been done outisde the curriculum to show passion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending