The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream- Summer Diversity Internship 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, I'm starting tomorrow, a little later than most. Any tips for the first day?
What department? Also the first 2 weeks will be slow compared to the rest!
Original post by BankOfPigs
Hi guys, I'm starting tomorrow, a little later than most. Any tips for the first day?
Hey guys,

I have only just started looking at going into the civil service and so came across the summer internship. I do not have much knowledge on the civil service and the way the application works, would it be possible for someone to steer me in the right direction? I want to know more about how I can prepare for the application process for the summer internship.
Also, for those of you who have already attended the summer internship, how did it go?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by curiouslycurious
Hey guys,

I have only just started looking at going into the civil service and so came across the summer internship. I do not have much knowledge on the civil service and the way the application works, would it be possible for someone to steer me in the right direction? I want to know more about how I can prepare for the application process for the summer internship.
Also, for those of you who have already attended the summer internship, how did it go?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

The Civil Service website (just google civil service fast stream) has a lot of quite in depth and useful information. The internship assessment will be a lot shorter than that for the fast stream - I just did online tests, and application form, and a phone interview, compared to 5+ stages and an assessment day for the fast stream. Applying is basically all about the civil service competencies - google them, learn them well, and plan strong answers in which you're showing each one. The application form and interview questions will indirectly relate to one competency or another, and being able to identify which one they're trying to get at will help you a lot in structuring your answers in a way that relates to the competency. The questions asked are generic skills-based ones, you can find loads of examples online and play for them. It can be quite strategic really... Good luck!
Original post by roflcakes1
The Civil Service website (just google civil service fast stream) has a lot of quite in depth and useful information. The internship assessment will be a lot shorter than that for the fast stream - I just did online tests, and application form, and a phone interview, compared to 5+ stages and an assessment day for the fast stream. Applying is basically all about the civil service competencies - google them, learn them well, and plan strong answers in which you're showing each one. The application form and interview questions will indirectly relate to one competency or another, and being able to identify which one they're trying to get at will help you a lot in structuring your answers in a way that relates to the competency. The questions asked are generic skills-based ones, you can find loads of examples online and play for them. It can be quite strategic really... Good luck!

Thank you so much! I will look into all of that. Another question...what is the difference between the civil service fast stream and the summer diversity internship?
Thank you so much! I will look into all of that. Another question...what is the difference between the civil service fast stream and the summer diversity internship?

The fast stream is essentially the Civil Services flagship graduate course. It is extremely competitive and allows for very fast career progression within the Civil Service.

Essentially, the Civil Service have identified that the fast stream intake is not particularly representative of society. For the record, it's less 'diverse' than oxbridge according to a recent report. So they have introduced the summer diversity internship which targets specific underrepresented groups in order to encourage them to apply for the Fast stream. You can think of SDIP as the insight scheme for the fast stream.

You won't get a fast stream job out of it, but you can get fast forwarded to the assessment centre depending on your end up internship evaluation.
Hi, I'm thinking of applying for this for summer 2017. Does anyone have any tips, as to where to practice for the aptitude tests?

Also, I have heard that despite the application window being open for a few months, that it is first come first serve? Is there any truth to this?
Anyone from any other dept heard back about the fast pass result? I don't think anyone at DECC has.
Also what score did you guys get in your evaluation?
Original post by arnoob
Hi, I'm thinking of applying for this for summer 2017. Does anyone have any tips, as to where to practice for the aptitude tests?

Also, I have heard that despite the application window being open for a few months, that it is first come first serve? Is there any truth to this?

Do you know when the application date opens?
Do you know when the application date opens?

3rd November apparently. There is a thread for the 2017 summer intake. :h:
Could you send me the link please?
Original post by queenofswords
Anyone from any other dept heard back about the fast pass result? I don't think anyone at DECC has.
Also what score did you guys get in your evaluation?

DECC doesn't exist anymore :wink: And nope, haven't heard back yet but I got 17. Wbu? :P
Reply 552
Is the SDIP open to graduates or only those who are currently at university?

On the website it says that you must be in your final two years of study but it also says you need at least a 2:1, expected or obtained.
Original post by anonymous8273
"At this time we need to take up references to cover the last three years. Please ensure that you contact your referees in order to confirm that their details are still current and to let them know that a request to complete a reference will be sent to them shortly. If you do not wish us to contact your current employer at this stage, then please let us know."

- Has anyone else not given any references or can remember when they gave them? I can't find if / where I did...

Hi,

I thought the same thing then I logged into my fast stream portal thingy, clicked on the 'view results' part of the form and then it had further instructions there about references and stuff :smile:
Hi is anyone using their Fast Pass for this year's Fast Stream application process? Its just that on the form, its only when you click that you were part of the 2017 SDIP that they ask for your Fast Pass, but we were definitely told it was valid for 2 years?
Hi everyone, I just have a quick question about the SDIP. Are the expenses paid similar to that of the EDIP? I live quite a while away from London, so worry about finding appropriate accommodation. The cost of transport is very expensive too - it would be £850 per month for a season ticket for me.

Is the SDIP conducted exclusively in London and are expenses covered?
Original post by Tomm98
Hi everyone, I just have a quick question about the SDIP. Are the expenses paid similar to that of the EDIP? I live quite a while away from London, so worry about finding appropriate accommodation. The cost of transport is very expensive too - it would be £850 per month for a season ticket for me.

Is the SDIP conducted exclusively in London and are expenses covered?

I am pretty sure you get paid (as in the internship itself is paid - £300-350 per week), so I'd imagine they aren't going to pay anymore for travel/accommodation expenses, but I am not sure!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending