The Student Room Group
mikesgt2
I thought people may be interested in this: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/06/040609070717.htm.

It'll be interesting to see if the 'proof' holds up to close scrutiny or if it fundamentally flawed. If it is a genuine proof this is quite a momentus occasion - bigger than fermats last theorem
Reply 2
I don't get zeta functions?! :confused:
Reply 3
shiny
I don't get zeta functions?! :confused:

but think how many people have claimed to prove reemann in the past....
Reply 4
Katie Heskins
but think how many people have claimed to prove reemann in the past....

lol I just read the article...
anyone ever read dr riemanns zeros? Louis de branges features in half the book! He's said he's proved it before.
Reply 5
There are a number of unsuccessful proofs listed here: http://www.maths.ex.ac.uk/~mwatkins/zeta/RHproofs.htm.

Clearly I know nothing about the validity of this proposed proof, but it does seem that at the current time there is no independant scrutiny to suggest that this is indeed a correct proof.

Also, I really don't understand the zeta function. It is defined as

zeta(s) = SUM{n=1 -> infinity} 1/n^s

and I know some of the famous results: zeta(2) = pi^2/6, zeta(4) = pi^4/90, ... However, it apparantly has trivial zeros at negative even numbers. This does not make sense to me since we have for example

zeta(-4) = 0
SUM{n=1 -> infinity} 1/n^(-4) = 0
SUM{n=1 -> infinity} n^4 = 0
1^4 + 2^4 + 3^4 + 4^4 + ... = 0

but surely the left hand side is infinity. It just seems to me to be absurd, am I missing somthing?
Imagine if it's wrong. twenty oddd years work down the drain.

MB
Reply 7
It'sPhil...
It'll be interesting to see if the 'proof' holds up to close scrutiny or if it fundamentally flawed. If it is a genuine proof this is quite a momentus occasion - bigger than fermats last theorem

I don't think this is bigger than FLT. For me, FLT is a lot more compelling problem, it is easy to understand rather than an abstract area of number theory. But, I certainly agree that it is a momentus occasion if it is indeed proven.
who judges whether the proof is correct? when does he get his $1000000? If he's proved wrong does he have to give the money back?

MB
Reply 9
musicboy
who judges whether the proof is correct? when does he get his $1000000? If he's proved wrong does he have to give the money back?

I am not entirely sure. However, I heard that the $1,000,000 is not given out until the proof has been rigorously checked over a period of 2 years. In other words, they do not give out the money easily.
Reply 10
Why has he called it "Apology for the proof of the Reimann Hypothesis"?
Reply 11
chrisbphd
Why has he called it "Apology for the proof of the Reimann Hypothesis"?

That's what I thought. He's got ideas about what to spend the money on as well, right at the end.

Latest

Trending

Trending