The Student Room Group

Racism in the UK?Applying for computer science, need help with deciding universities.

Hey everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I'm from Egypt. Will i be facing issues with racism or discrimination?

I've decided to apply for the following universities (listed in order of priority)

St Andrews

Southampton

Bathe

Birmingham

But I need a fifth university to apply for. What are your suggestions ?
Also, what are your opinions regarding those 4 unis (specially St Andrews, people seem to disagree about how good it is).My grades (for reference) are 8 (A*)s IG, 4 AS level (A)s. My A level components are high enough to allow me to get 3 A*s, but i think Ill get 2.

Thank you again
(edited 8 years ago)
None of the places you've listed have a particular problem with racism, can't think of another university you should apply for in that subject but most unis have good support structures for facing those kind of issues anyway
You also have imperial which is a fantastic well renowned university so could be a great fit for your grades. Alternatively maybe consider Edinburgh, UCL and Bristol. (I'm assuming you have ruled out oxford and Cambridge?)
Imperial and oxford are too expensive for me. :frown:

I dont know much about cambridge other than the fact that it's highly regarded as a top university. Is it a good place to be in ? Would I be right to assume it is a small-ish university-based city, kind of like St Andrews?
British people are quite cool to be honest.I am black (Nigerian descent)...I have never faced any sort of discrimination ever since I have moved here from Germany.Of course racism exists like it exists everywhere else, but you should be fine.

I could help you if you gave me an indication of what you are aiming to study at University.
Nottingham, York, Warwick are good.
I don't know much about racism at uni. I'd assume all the top unis have very little or none . Since they have so many international students , therefore diversity is inevitable.
It's Computer Science, sorry :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by Sobadatusernames
Imperial and oxford are too expensive for me. :frown:

I dont know much about cambridge other than the fact that it's highly regarded as a top university. Is it a good place to be in ? Would I be right to assume it is a small-ish university-based city, kind of like St Andrews?

Why is Oxford too expensive? Academic Fees are similar to Cambridge for Internationals. And living costs at Oxford and Cambridge are relatively low. Also many Cambridge colleges guarantee college accomodation for the duration of your degree so you don't need to worry about paying higher private rents.

Some would say Cambridge is THE top uni :wink:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=computer%20science

Yes the city is smaller than the city of Oxford (the unis are a similar size), but much bigger than St Andrews which is a small uni in a very small town in the middle of nowhere...

CompSci at Cambridge is a much larger department than Oxford. 100 students accepted per year, compared with 20 or so at Oxford.

Cambridge info for applicants from Egypt
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/egypt

Oh, what are your A-levels? Further Maths is preferred at Cambridge.
(edited 8 years ago)
I just looked at their websites again, how come Oxford and Cambridge are the only universities that require a college fee in addition to the university fee ? I thought only Oxford needed that, but you're right, they're both about the same. My A levels are : Maths, Physics and Chemistry. My school doesn't offer further mathematics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hudamh
Hey I'm a British Egyptian and I'm also applying to Birmingham. None of the Universities are in particularly racist areas.
Your grades are very good, you should consider UCL.
What course are you applying for?

He dude ! Cool to see that there are other people like me out there. I'm applying for Computer science and software engineering or just computer science, depending on which courses the university offer.
Reply 10
I just looked at their websites again, how come Oxford and Cambridge are the only universities that require a college fee in addition to the university fee ? I thought only Oxford needed that, but you're right, they're both about the same.

Because the colleges are a significant part of the academic environment. The College Fee covers the costs of college-provided tutorials/supervisions (amongst other things). It's a unique and important aspect of the Oxbridge system.

You have very small group supervisions - typically 2 students to 1 supervisor. And the supervisors can be leading academics in their fields.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/how-will-i-be-taught
Reply 11
Educated people are not racists. I've never faced racism from anyone who was educated to degree level.
Reply 12
Id be very surprised if you even encountered a single bit of discrimination. On the small chance you do it would be from drunk old people and not students.
Original post by jneill
Because the colleges are a significant part of the academic environment. The College Fee covers the costs of college-provided tutorials/supervisions (amongst other things). It's a unique and important aspect of the Oxbridge system.

You have very small group supervisions - typically 2 students to 1 supervisor. And the supervisors can be leading academics in their fields.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/how-will-i-be-taught

That sounds very beneficial. Thank you very much for elaborating. I'll look more into it.
Reply 14
That sounds very beneficial. Thank you very much for elaborating. I'll look more into it.

:reel:

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending