The Student Room Group

Law work experience?

I'm currently in Year 13 and I'm applying to do Law in university. I'm trying to find some work experience in a law firm, unpaid/shadowing but I can't find anything and I don't have any Law contacts. I saw the PRIME scheme online but I'm not eligible for the criteria..

How would I go about finding work exp?

Thanks.
Original post by kayrx
I'm currently in Year 13 and I'm applying to do Law in university. I'm trying to find some work experience in a law firm, unpaid/shadowing but I can't find anything and I don't have any Law contacts. I saw the PRIME scheme online but I'm not eligible for the criteria..

How would I go about finding work exp?

Thanks.

My mum works in the legal department at a local authority - she says they take a lot of people in for work experience - may be a place to start?
Reply 2
Original post by AmyPilot
My mum works in the legal department at a local authority - she says they take a lot of people in for work experience - may be a place to start?

Oh great! How would I go about applying for that?
Reply 3
Because of your age there maybe a problem with confidentiality. I would put on a suit (or a jacket and tie) and pop into a local solicitors (or better still phone them, ask to speak to a solicitor) they will probably say no but you MUST ask for advice on how to go about getting some work, don't be shy, they were all students once. The secretary will be of no use. If you do manage it, I guess there must be a lot of photocopying.
Original post by kayrx
Oh great! How would I go about applying for that?

Probably best to contact the head of legal or maybe the human resources dept at your local council - you can often find actual contact names if you fish around on their website. Your local councillor might even be able to help direct you or if you know someone who works at the council (even if in another dept).

Good luck.
Reply 5
Try looking at some firms that are in your local area, you'll often be able to shadow them, even if you can't handle actual cases. They're not as 'serious' as the city firms and are often happy to have you for at least a day. Also, even if it's just one day, you don't have to say that, just look at the skills you gained. Although, even if you can't find anything, it's not the end of the world, law applicants don't require work experience!

Good luck nevertheless :smile:
Reply 6
My brother studied law and went to a solicitor's office for his work experience. My dad phoned a local solictor's office that he was familiar with and asked could my brother come in for a few days, and they were happy to let him. You could phone them or go in yourself and ask would it be possible and I'm sure they'll allow you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest