The Student Room Group

Law work experience

iv applied to study law in university however cannot get any work experience, any help or advice
I had some legal work experience lined up over summer, which has now fallen through. Pretty gutted tbh.

Another option is visiting a local law court for a few days to spectate. Or maybe doing an online law course over summer. I did one called Springpod Law which was quite useful.

I’ve been to 2 Uni open days so far & both admissions tutors said law work experience is not necessary at this stage. They understand it’s hard to get when younger & one also said they find those that do, usually get it through contacts of parents/family rather than from their own initiative. Hth
Reply 2
Original post by BarryScott2022
I had some legal work experience lined up over summer, which has now fallen through. Pretty gutted tbh.

Another option is visiting a local law court for a few days to spectate. Or maybe doing an online law course over summer. I did one called Springpod Law which was quite useful.

I’ve been to 2 Uni open days so far & both admissions tutors said law work experience is not necessary at this stage. They understand it’s hard to get when younger & one also said they find those that do, usually get it through contacts of parents/family rather than from their own initiative. Hth

Thanks that useful
Original post by kh2021
iv applied to study law in university however cannot get any work experience, any help or advice

Hi there @kh2021

As the other person said, usually unis don't require legal work experience- this is true for Durham at least. In your personal statement, you could write about what made you want to study law, if you've read any books which might have had a legal backdrop to them, and how your study of your A-level subjects might help you excel in the law course. Eg: you will need to read a lot while studying law and will also have to conduct in-depth research for essays- you could explain that a particular subject in your a-levels also required the same skills from you and that these would come very handy at uni.

If you want to do something for your personal development or interest, online legal work experience is available on Forage or Springpod- they are free and can be completed at your own pace. Some law firms also offer work experience for Y10-13 students like Clifford Chance, Eversheds Sutherland etc, to name a few. You could also try participating in mooting competitions or volunteer with citizens advice (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/support-us/volunteering/about-volunteering-with-citizens-advice/volunteer_roles/)

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Original post by kh2021

Hi there,

I hope you're well :smile:

I agree with the above comments; often at this stage, universities don't require you to have (if any) work experience because you're so early on in your legal journey. However, having some sort of experience is of course beneficial. Have you tried going to any of your local firms and asking for unpaid work experience? I did this, and I got a weeks worth of work experience which was really interesting! Alternatively, if you have LinkedIn, it might be worth seeing if there are any experience opportunities advertised on there, and/or reaching out to solicitors on the platform to ask if you could shadow for a few days :biggrin: Legal work experience is really difficult to gain, so don't be too disheartened if you get a few rejections - keep persevering!

Ana :smile:
UoL Ambassador
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

I hope you're well :smile:

I agree with the above comments; often at this stage, universities don't require you to have (if any) work experience because you're so early on in your legal journey. However, having some sort of experience is of course beneficial. Have you tried going to any of your local firms and asking for unpaid work experience? I did this, and I got a weeks worth of work experience which was really interesting! Alternatively, if you have LinkedIn, it might be worth seeing if there are any experience opportunities advertised on there, and/or reaching out to solicitors on the platform to ask if you could shadow for a few days :biggrin: Legal work experience is really difficult to gain, so don't be too disheartened if you get a few rejections - keep persevering!

Ana :smile:
UoL Ambassador

Hi I am a year12 student looking for law work experience as well but no where offer that may I know which law firm did you go to ? Thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending