The Student Room Group

Film: AUB, UCA or NUA?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rose-98
Oh yeah NUA is an old uni, I just think that the course itself is pretty modern!

Travelling into London easily is a massive pro of being at UCA! Plus, you get to work with actual film on one of the modules which I think is really cool! The reputation is great! Similarly, so is the reputation for NUA, and Falmouth!

Both are amazing! We'll see what happens! I'm so indecisive so I probably won't choose for a while!

Oh well, me neither ahaha
Just have to understand which are my priorities, and is not that easy ahahah

Good luck and let me know how it goes :smile:
Hi I've also applied for film at the UCA and Falmouth. I really loved the UCA but I feel that Farnham is maybe a little too small with not very much there to do (it doesn't even have a cinema) and it's also pretty expensive. I'm kinda stuck between it and Falmouth so it's interesting to hear your thoughts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katieloughrin
Hi I've also applied for film at the UCA and Falmouth. I really loved the UCA but I feel that Farnham is maybe a little too small with not very much there to do (it doesn't even have a cinema) and it's also pretty expensive. I'm kinda stuck between it and Falmouth so it's interesting to hear your thoughts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it's so hard to choose, they're both great but different :/ I think it all depends on what kind of experience you want to make, and that's my problem ahahah
I could go for a city like Norwich (or even Farnham since is close to London) but also live in a small town like Falmouth.
Arrrgh, I'll never decide ahahah
Yea I just feel that the only thing really to do in Farnham is go to cafes which is expensive, at least in Falmouth you're surrounded by beauty so you can do many free things like the beach etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I ended up choosing UCA as my first choice!
I'm quite used to living in a small town so Farnham doesn't seem too bad to me, in fact I liked how peaceful it was!
In regard to a cinema, it kind of sucks that they don't have one, but there is one close by in Aldershot and I guess with the train you can get anywhere fairly easily!
Original post by rose-98
I ended up choosing UCA as my first choice!
I'm quite used to living in a small town so Farnham doesn't seem too bad to me, in fact I liked how peaceful it was!
In regard to a cinema, it kind of sucks that they don't have one, but there is one close by in Aldershot and I guess with the train you can get anywhere fairly easily!

Well, probably UCA itself has a cinema, since the film course is so famous and quoted!
And I'm used to small towns too, but that's exactly the problem: should I risk it by going to a bigger place?
The thing that makes me feel pretty excited is that NUA, UCA and Fal are all good choices and I couldn't be happier about that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katieloughrin
Yea I just feel that the only thing really to do in Farnham is go to cafes which is expensive, at least in Falmouth you're surrounded by beauty so you can do many free things like the beach etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, they have this thing for barbeque and beach parties ahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
The university does have a cinema for film students to screen their films, and I believe they have general film screenings in there also - which is one of the reasons that I really liked it!
Original post by rose-98
The university does have a cinema for film students to screen their films, and I believe they have general film screenings in there also - which is one of the reasons that I really liked it!

Yea Falmouth has that too. I hear the SU at the UCA is very small so events aren't as frequent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Oh I wasn't aware! The students at my applicant day said there were weekly events I believe, live music, theme nights etc', I could be wrong though!
Compared to my other choice, UCA had lots to offer, especially in regards to societies and events!
Original post by rose-98
Oh I wasn't aware! The students at my applicant day said there were weekly events I believe, live music, theme nights etc', I could be wrong though!
Compared to my other choice, UCA had lots to offer, especially in regards to societies and events!

and contacts, don't forget that ahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Farnham isn't great for nightlife, however, the SU offers themed nights which often turn out better than expected. University wise they offer many trips and work experience. It's what you make of it, in my opinion it's alright and it saves you a lot of money as you don't have to travel far to clubs as theres only the SU or the mulberry which is a student pub.
Original post by rose-98

When you went to the UCA open day, did you see any students that live at home with their parents (either in Farnham or a place close by) and drive in? I only live like an hours drive from Farnham so if I choose that uni I don't want to waste money living in halls if it's cheaper to stay living at home and drive to lectures... I can also keep my part time job that way too. Hopefully...
Reply 33
Not that I could see, but it was at the very end of their term that I went, so there were hardly any students there! I don't doubt though that there are students who do that - seems like a good option to save money!
Original post by johannarebecca7
When you went to the UCA open day, did you see any students that live at home with their parents (either in Farnham or a place close by) and drive in? I only live like an hours drive from Farnham so if I choose that uni I don't want to waste money living in halls if it's cheaper to stay living at home and drive to lectures... I can also keep my part time job that way too. Hopefully...

I'm going to Farnham too and I live about a 40 minute drive away, although I don't drive yet so if I were to stay at home it's a 1 hour train journey plus 20 minute walk from station to uni so I decided to apply for accommodation.
Apparently the accommodation can't accept everyone though and it's based on who lives further away so there's a chance they might not offer me a place to stay, but I would prefer to stay on campus because then you don't have to worry about catching the train or missing the last one, also means you can meet new people easier I guess if you live in the same building as them
Not sure if anyone here would reply me but I'll try anyway

So which school did you all ended up in? Is it good?

Thanks!
Original post by EunJae97
Not sure if anyone here would reply me but I'll try anyway

So which school did you all ended up in? Is it good?

Thanks!

I chose Falmouth, it got better in the rankings and I had this feeling it was the right choice. I love it, amazing facilities (best library I have ever been to), interesting people and, obviously, great course.
I don't know about NUA and UCA, but falmouth is getting famous in the industry: I'm a first year but I had the chance to film a feature with Jamie Adams, starring that actress who acts as Robin in How I met your mother.

I still think these are three amazing universities for the arts and that, at the end of the day, is more about how much effort you're gonna put in these three years more than where you end up since, as i already said, they're all pretty valid

Hope it helper!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ameliak12
I'm going to Farnham too and I live about a 40 minute drive away, although I don't drive yet so if I were to stay at home it's a 1 hour train journey plus 20 minute walk from station to uni so I decided to apply for accommodation.
Apparently the accommodation can't accept everyone though and it's based on who lives further away so there's a chance they might not offer me a place to stay, but I would prefer to stay on campus because then you don't have to worry about catching the train or missing the last one, also means you can meet new people easier I guess if you live in the same building as them

I got told this too. Most 2nd year students apparently end up living in Aldershot or Alton and commuting in, which doesn't sound cheap. I'm starting to think it's a bit too out of my affordability now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending