The Student Room Group

Medicine at Birmingham..?

Hi there, I'm holding a conditional offer for medicine at Birmingham. When I went for the interview it all looked so fantastic and nice and everyhtin but ive been lookin at league tables and its always at the bottom for medicine...

Did i see the same university?! Does anyone know anythin about the med school there? Im i jus worrying for no reason? I dont wanna think Ive picked the wrong place to go and its starting to get me worried.

Cheers for any words of encouragment.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unregistered
Hi there, I'm holding a conditional offer for medicine at Birmingham. When I went for the interview it all looked so fantastic and nice and everyhtin but ive been lookin at league tables and its always at the bottom for medicine...

Did i see the same university?! Does anyone know anythin about the med school there? Im i jus worrying for no reason? I dont wanna think Ive picked the wrong place to go and its starting to get me worried.

I aint a medic, but have considered it as a course.
A medicine degree at one uni is the same as a medic degree in any other uni. Birmingham iz a very good university overall joint ranking with Manchester, so i wouldnt doubt for a second its facilities course iz crap. Hey b happy you got an offer, most got rejected who applied. At uni itz all about the student with respect to how well you do.
So Good luck!
Unregistered
I aint a medic, but have considered it as a course.
A medicine degree at one uni is the same as a medic degree in any other uni.

FALSE !

Any degree at one Uni should be in no way considered to be on a par with the "same" (eg BSc Maths at Durham, and BSc Maths at Derby) degree at a different Uni, they make up their own criterium for assessment - there is no exam board which specify core content.

Given the example above, we all know the degree from which University will be considered higher rated by future employers, and it aint the one from the Sheep-worrying county.
Reply 3
Expression
FALSE !

Any degree at one Uni should be in no way considered to be on a par with the "same" (eg BSc Maths at Durham, and BSc Maths at Derby) degree at a different Uni, they make up their own criterium for assessment - there is no exam board which specify core content.

Given the example above, we all know the degree from which University will be considered higher rated by future employers, and it aint the one from the Sheep-worrying county.

Employers employ you based on the REPUTATION of the university.....which makes up a mixture of things and not only the course itself. i feel that only plays a small part to the reputation, at the end of the day you have to be able to do the job more or less the same as others so their has to be certain aspects which are the same. pretty much most of the degree, just certain areas universities will be flexible perhaps they feel its in the best interests of those studying the course thats why.
Unregistered
Employers employ you based on the REPUTATION of the university.....which makes up a mixture of things and not only the course itself. i feel that only plays a small part to the reputation, at the end of the day you have to be able to do the job more or less the same as others so their has to be certain aspects which are the same. pretty much most of the degree, just certain areas universities will be flexible perhaps they feel its in the best interests of those studying the course thats why.

Fair point, reputation, and past employees from specific universities also goes some way towards a decision.

I should have stopped at the end of the first paragraph, there were no quibbles with that ! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Don't worry too much about league tables - it all depends on what environment YOU would like to spend the next 5-6 years studying in, not other people.

In general, you can compare medical degrees from different universities more confidentally than other degrees, say maths for example (as mentioned already). I think this is because the degree content adheres to guidlines set out by the general medical council, whereas a maths degree's content is set out by the university itself....
Reply 6
I know a lot of american students who are currently studying in this field and travel to the uk to complete there final year so that their degree has london on it, apparantly in the states to say you finalised in london is really good and pay is much better.

:smile:
Reply 7
Unregistered
I know a lot of american students who are currently studying in this field and travel to the uk to complete there final year so that their degree has london on it, apparantly in the states to say you finalised in london is really good and pay is much better.

:smile:

hi

i have just done my first yr at bham med school...

it is a good place to do medicine, but there are a hell of a lot exams which isnt good...but at the same time it is because it means u dont have the chance to leave it all till the end of the year and forget everything!!!
only thing bout med in bham is that u dont get the chance to do disection which most medics want to do.

be sure u are chosing the right course before u commit urself because i think as much as people tell u how hard it is, u wont actually beleive it till u get there. be sure to make lots of medic friends because it is so off putting if all ur mates are non medic...they do 8 hours a week wen urs is more like 38!
only thing i find a prob at bham is that there is a lack of support...left to ur ownn devices and not at all pushed which i think can be a big prob for some. however that is how uni is, not at all like college.

good luck with it all anyway hope it all works out...unfortunately it didnt for me as now due to financial difficulty and lack of motivation for the subject i am leaving..

if want to know anything else about bham med school life feel free to email me at [email protected]
Reply 8
Expression
FALSE !

What youre saying is true in general but not quite true in this particular case. Birmingham is a very prestigious university, and even if th medical degree is not so highly rated as some, you are comparing it to medical courses at other very highly rated unis (places like derby dont even offer medicine). Also a medical degree is likely to be more similar wherever you go than a degree in something like history or computer science, because it is vocational and there are things that all doctors have to know. There is such a shortage of doctors anyway that there is no way anyone is going to have trouble finding a job.
Reply 9
Unregistered

League table are irreleveant for Medicine - though I wouldn't go for one of the new medical schools
Reply 10
medical schools are all of the same standard since theyve all been approved my the GMC. Finding employment is usually ok for medics cos some (or maybe all, im not sure) provide a placement scheme.
Reply 11
Unregistered

I have heard that Birmingham med graduates are very highly regarded amongst the medical profession. My family has members of the medical profession and when I asked them that was their response.
Reply 12
Unregistered
League table are irreleveant for Medicine - though I wouldn't go for one of the new medical schools

Why Not? I'm not being confrontational, I'm just interested in your reasons for that opinion about new medical schools.
P.
Because there are so few Medical Schools in the UK if you get a degree in Medicine from any of them, you're not going to find it difficult to get a job! A Medicine degree is a medicine degree. True, some are more prestigious than others, but that doesn't matter. If you wanted to do a degree in maths for example, and the Uni you wanted to go to was 25th out of 200, you'd think that your Uni was AMAZING! Thats the same for medicine, because there is only about 25 medicine degrees to get. Going to the 25th best medical school is no bad thing!

I have applied to 2 new medical schools and 2 older ones. I think the new ones offer more in the way of patient contact than some of the older ones, and obviously they have lots of BRAND new equipment etc. I LOVE new stuff, so new med schools appeal 2 me!
Reply 14
Unregistered
Why Not? I'm not being confrontational, I'm just interested in your reasons for that opinion about new medical schools.
P.

No experience of running a medical school. . Brighton for instance doesn't even have a campus. I certainly would hold judgement until they had been up and running for twenty years or so.
Doesn't the Brighton & Sussex Med school have buildings on both the Brighton and on the Sussex campuses? That was the idea I got from them when I went to the open day. They were building a whole new array of buildings and facilities on the Brighton Uni campus, and there already was a good range of facilities on the Sussex Uni campus. It all looked really fantastic. The Sussex campus is fantastic. I love campuses that have lots of open spaces.
Unregistered
No experience of running a medical school. . Brighton for instance doesn't even have a campus. I certainly would hold judgement until they had been up and running for twenty years or so.

at one of the new medical schools, anatomy will be taught purely with computer images, to save costs. This is totally ridiculous, the best way is to learn anatomy is through dissections backed up with prosections, like a few medical schools have. Some med schools don't allow students to dissect, and some just have prosections, which isn't ideal. But to then go the whole way and just have computer images, so you're not even seeing stuff in real life is just ridiculous. I'm not sure how much confidence I would put into students trained at these new medical school when they are working alongside me in medical practice.
Reply 17
Unregistered

You're talking about 2003 or 2004 entry?
If it's 2003...did u take the offer?
I got a conditional offer for Med 2004 entry at Brum...
Reply 18
Unregistered

Hey, I'm just completing the 1st year at Bham Medschool. It is a good Medical School with a good reputation.
However, you really do have to be 100% sure this is the career you want to go in. I don't want to put you off or anything but it really is hard work. I know everyone says this but you do have to be well motivated.
If you want to come to a good medschool at a nice campus and city with lots going for it, then come to bham. Really, with Medicine you have to imagine yourself in the city in which you'll be living for AT LEAST 5 years and probably a lot longer. That's just as important as looking at the structure of the course.
Hope that helps and well done for getting a place. Just be prepared for lots of hard work and exams/tests. Because I wasn't really sure I wanted to do Medicine I am now consdering transferring to a completely different course. I'm really not trying to put you off, just telling you what I think's important!!!
Reply 19
clarey84
Hey, I'm just completing the 1st year at Bham Medschool. It is a good Medical School with a good reputation.
However, you really do have to be 100% sure this is the career you want to go in. I don't want to put you off or anything but it really is hard work. I know everyone says this but you do have to be well motivated.
If you want to come to a good medschool at a nice campus and city with lots going for it, then come to bham. Really, with Medicine you have to imagine yourself in the city in which you'll be living for AT LEAST 5 years and probably a lot longer. That's just as important as looking at the structure of the course.
Hope that helps and well done for getting a place. Just be prepared for lots of hard work and exams/tests. Because I wasn't really sure I wanted to do Medicine I am now consdering transferring to a completely different course. I'm really not trying to put you off, just telling you what I think's important!!!

Heh, another person at Bham on the forum :smile:. Welcome!

Latest

Trending

Trending