The Student Room Group

Where are the nice looking universities for maths?

Scroll to see replies

I would probably say, birmingham and bath
Reply 41
Original post by alexthomas
I am applying to study mathematics as a degree in 2016. I cannot apply for unis like Oxford of Cambridge. I would like to know universities which have nice cities/buildings such as Bristol and Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bath, Glasgow, Queens Belfast, Aberdeen

For nice modern buildings: Nottingham, Southampton (very nice facilities for Maths students) and Manchester.

Most universities with a strong Maths department (apart from the ones mentioned above) have ugly or average buildings so don't apply just because of this one factor.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by tsukurutazaki
St Andrews, Durham, Royal Holloway.

St Andrews Maths department looks quite ugly, compared to the rest of the university.
The Scottish unis look amazinggg
First rank:

Greenwich
Stirling
Durham (University College)
Nottingham

Second rank
Oxford
Cambridge
Royal Holloway
Reading
Exeter

Third rank

Bristol
Birmingham
Glasgow
Edinburgh
King's College London
Original post by TeeEm
My first choice will be UCL
my second choice would be UCL
and if you need a third choice put UCL

Since the OP says he cannot apply for Oxbridge, UCL might not be a useful suggestion given that it is very nearly as competitive as Oxbridge for many subjects.
Cardiff

(my love, my life, my all)

Keele

Please, please don't pick a university based on appearance. You'll spend at least three years there studying, and it'll be on your CV for the rest of your working life, so you might want to consider factors like the course, ranking, optional modules, accommodation, the nearby city etc.

Though Durham is the nicest looking university I've seen in person. King's College, Cambridge also looks great, while Edinburgh seems quite picturesque and I've heard quite a bit about Nottingham (which looks quite nice based on a quick Google search).
Reply 48
Original post by dontargue
Since the OP says he cannot apply for Oxbridge, UCL might not be a useful suggestion given that it is very nearly as competitive as Oxbridge for many subjects.

... so we shall let the OP to be the judge of that ...
Original post by Sam.B57

Bristol uni is a bit of an odd one, the area of city it is in i wouldnt say is the nicest

Huh? Clifton not the nicest area of Bristol? Where would you recommend - St Paul's? Eastville? Bedminster?

Quick Reply

Latest