The Student Room Group

Chemistry or Chemical Engineering?

I know I want to study one of the two at uni, and currently have 6 courses I am interested in, 4 to chemistry and 2 to chemical engineering. I'm doing national 5 (SG) physics this year as well as AH maths and chemistry, the nat 5 physics is because I couldn't take higher this year. But now I'm starting to have doubts as to whether chemical engineering is right for me, and whether I should only apply to one chemical engineering and the rest chemistry? Has anyone done either course and have any advice, especially about what studying chemical engineering is like and whether I would enjoy it, or whether I should go for something I know better ie chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I'm in my fourth year of chem eng at the moment so I'll try and give you some info about it.

The difference is basically this: chemistry is science and chemical engineering is engineering. It sounds obvious, but really it means a lot in practice.

Chemistry is very scientific. You will probably spend a lot of time in the lab. You usually have a lot of contact hours, and the work tends to be very mathematical/computational.

In chemical engineering, there is usually a small chemistry component but its very "shallow" i.e. it doesn't delve too deeply. Theres a lot more emphasis on classical mechanics (not quantum) e.g. heat, reactions, diffusion. Engineering is heavily project based too, so expect a lot of group work, not a pile of labs, some business-y/finance bits, and probably heavy use of computers. Chem eng is based on "processes" i.e. the equipment/equations/maths used to create a product, so there's a lot more focus on the large scale.

Quick Reply

Latest