The Student Room Group

student reviews of UCL for chemical engineering

i've heard so many negative student reviews from UCL specifically from their engineering department and I'm just hoping they are all outdated; I'm not allowed to leave London for uni and I dont have the grades for imperial (i have A* in bio and AA for maths and chem and these wont change to my knowledge).

Can anyone share their own personal experience of learning there? and if it truly isn't up to par what university would best benefit my career?
I know someone who recently did a BSc in Chemical Engineering at UCL. He had a 1st class division result. He didn't know that chemical engineering is 80% physics and 20% chemistry until he enrolled. He joined an IT company immediately after graduation because he never wanted to be a chemical engineer who had nothing to do with chemistry.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by anonebony
i've heard so many negative student reviews from UCL specifically from their engineering department and I'm just hoping they are all outdated; I'm not allowed to leave London for uni and I dont have the grades for imperial (i have A* in bio and AA for maths and chem and these wont change to my knowledge).

Can anyone share their own personal experience of learning there? and if it truly isn't up to par what university would best benefit my career?

I have the grades AAB in maths bio and chemistry. do u think I can get into UCL chemical engineering. I think im eligible for the contextual offer aswell.
Reply 3
Original post by rfkwfnn
I have the grades AAB in maths bio and chemistry. do u think I can get into UCL chemical engineering. I think im eligible for the contextual offer aswell.

ucl is obviously very prestige so there will probably be competition especially with international students cuz a lot of them go ucl but have you tried calling through clearing? also congratulations on your results you worked very hard and i hope you are proud of yourself
Reply 4
Thanks, just got unlucky with grade boundaries. Do you think going Queen Mary’s for chemical engineering is big difference than UCL?
Reply 5
Original post by rfkwfnn
Thanks, just got unlucky with grade boundaries. Do you think going Queen Mary’s for chemical engineering is big difference than UCL?

im going into yr13 so honestly i have no clue ive been trying to find out myself haha but theres barely anything

do you also have to stay in london for uni? maybe you can try consider transferring to another uni if you dont like qmul after a year or so im not sure how it works but ive heard a story or two about ppl who have done that
Negative reviews are usually from students who were hoping to get high grades with little work.
The number of international students does not affect the number of UK students admitted, because universites keep a number of places for international students and only offer them places intended for home students if they cannot fill those places.

UCL has the Integrated Engineering Programme, which is a project based programme. Read more about it and see what you think of it.
All engineering is Maths and Physics based, so if anyone wanted to do more chemistry the should have done a degree in chemistry and not engineering. Chemical Engineers work mainly on industrial processes.
Chemica Engineering at UCL was until a few years' ago a recruiting department (they had fewer applications than other departments, and therefore had to actively recruit students). This has changed in the past couple of years, as Chemical Engineering has become more trendy and they receive more applications than they used to.
If QMUL will accept you, go there. If you still want a degree from UCL, apply for a master's degree afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest