The Student Room Group

Cannot decide between Chemistry and Engineering

Good afternoon everybody, I’m seeking advice and information regarding Chemistry education within the UK and the subsequent job opportunities available after completion. A couple of minutes or your time and advice could go a long way to helping me and I’d be extremely grateful.

A bit of backstory, I’ve just completed my A-Levels in which I took Chemistry, Maths and Physics, with an expectation to achieve A’s and B’s with a small chance of an A*. Throughout my time at college I wrested with the decision on what to do at university; Chemistry or Engineering. Ultimately, my final decision was to apply for a Masters in Chemistry at Manchester, as it is the subject I’m most passionate about but I also have a great love for all things science and engineering. However, since completing my exams and scouring the internet my problem has arose once more. My aspirations in life are to make a real positive influence in some way, whilst also having the opportunity to become wealthy and I was under the impression Chemistry allowed for that.

To put it simply, whilst reading its become increasingly more apparent that Chemistry, although offering many career paths, doesn’t seem to be very expansive and offer much in terms of wealth in comparison to engineering. On top of this, I’m under the impression many affluent jobs related to Chemistry require PhD’s, which I question my capabilities to achieve. As well as this, I’ve also seen a heavy demand for coding and computer skills which I’m debating learning. However, my sources are inconclusive and I’m looking for more personal experience and opinions from people who have lived my scenario. If you believe Engineering is the correct option, what field would you suggest for someone very broadly minded like myself?
Generally speaking, it’s best to pick the course you feel you’d be more interested in.

I wouldn’t yet question your capability to do a PhD in chemistry after you graduate. That’s several years down the line and by that point, you may become so invested in a particular area of chemistry that taking a relevant PhD might actually be something you decide is perfectly achievable.

Surprisingly, it does appear that a lot of chemistry graduates actually go into other areas (including the finance sector) because they pick up a lot of transferrable skills- this makes them very employable. Given that the finance sector is accessible to chemistry graduates, it is perfectly possible to land an affluent job with a chemistry degree but without having done a PhD.
Reply 2
Or to put it another way, it's no good doing a degree in a subject just because you think it'll get you a high paying job, if the degree and the subsequent job will make you miserable.
Do chemical engineering lol
Reply 4
Go to some University Open Days - listen to the subject presentations for both subjects, and ask questions.
Talk to current students about what they intend to do once they graduate, look at the facilities available, get a feel for what each subject involves and what it coud lead to.
Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/undergraduate-open-days/
Birmingham - https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/open-days
Newcastle - https://www.ncl.ac.uk/study/meet/undergraduate-open-day/
etc etc.
Reply 5
Original post by humandizaster000
Do chemical engineering lol

My understanding is that Chemical engineering is a career and education in effectively health and safety and designing how to upscale another chemists work. This doesn’t appeal to me as your not in my eyes a creator or actually invoked in the chemistry. However my understanding comes completely from a single undergraduate talk about chemical engineering so may be wrong, any information or connections would be appreciated?
Original post by mxles04
My understanding is that Chemical engineering is a career and education in effectively health and safety and designing how to upscale another chemists work. This doesn’t appeal to me as your not in my eyes a creator or actually invoked in the chemistry. However my understanding comes completely from a single undergraduate talk about chemical engineering so may be wrong, any information or connections would be appreciated?

Yes you're largely correct. Chemical engineering is essentially about designing and operating industrial process plants that convert materials into other materials. This is probably most commonly thought of as petrochemicals, where crude oil is split into constituent parts to into other raw materials, but applies to a lot more than that - wastewater treatment, food and beverages, etc.

To answer your original question, neither chemistry or engineering will get you particularly wealthy unless you move into something else - like finance or tech, for example - after graduation. Both options are doable with either chemistry or engineering, providing you put the work in to gain more relevant skills to those sectors during your time at university. If planning to switch after graduation, it'd probably be better to study whichever you would enjoy the most, so it's less of a chore and you're more likely to achieve a good grade.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by mxles04

I've never actually been to university myself because I got DEU at A level so am now retaking year 13 at the age of 20. online, ofc.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending