The Student Room Group

Do you believe in ghosts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
Reread what they said

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Ivy.98 did not say that subatomic particles don't exist.

Right so shouldnt it follow that the possibility exists and is more likely now than unlikely?
(I never said Ivy.98 did or did not say either)
I was doing my work one time and I had my calculator in front of me. I looked up from my work for it and it wasn't there. I went upstairs to ask my brother if he took it (mind, we were the only ones in the house). He got annoyed at me because he didn't take it and so I went back downstairs, rummaged around the table and gave up looking for it. I was using my phone calculator and I looked to the left and the calculator was THERE. I was really spooked :s-smilie:

I am usually down to earth and don't really believe in ghosts but that event made me slightly uncertain which was what made me hesitate and vote 'Maybe' in the poll. I know I probably overlooked it in my search because I was too focused on searching for it but it was still scary for me to suddenly see it!

Spoiler

Original post by ZZTop1
Don't get angry. That is a totally different story to my knowledge anyone sane has not saw that but I will not rule it out. Where has many people have reported sightings of ghosts. I never said anything about them being real but you still decided there was a need to throw your toys out of the pram

Somebody claiming to see something is not necessarily proof, if somebody under anaesthesia or having a psychotic episode, or is otherwise not compos mentis, would you trust a word they say? As I said, as far as I am aware there are no sightings where the sighting was by multiple people who were compos mentis, which is generally an important thing because you need to try to establish that they were sane at the time and not lying. The events not covered by the above are generally covered by other medical conditions. Pretty sure medical conditions would provide a more sound explanation than ghosts existing for the vast majority of the population of the developed world

Posted from TSR Mobile
If all my Dad's experiences are true, then yes, but i haven't experienced anything concrete myself.
Original post by Tailored_Suit
I'm not entirely decided if I'm being blunt. My rational faculties tell me there's no way they could exist, but at the same time I have seen what can only be described as ghosts..

With no rational explanation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by Jammy Duel
Somebody claiming to see something is not necessarily proof, if somebody under anaesthesia or having a psychotic episode, or is otherwise not compos mentis, would you trust a word they say? As I said, as far as I am aware there are no sightings where the sighting was by multiple people who were compos mentis, which is generally an important thing because you need to try to establish that they were sane at the time and not lying. The events not covered by the above are generally covered by other medical conditions. Pretty sure medical conditions would provide a more sound explanation than ghosts existing for the vast majority of the population of the developed world

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said it was all I was saying is it is best not to rule out what someone has saw, I know a lot of people are billy bull****ters who want to attention seek through this but I would not discount it 100%. Like I said If i was told to get of the fence i would sway towards saying they are not real i put uncertain due to a lack of evidence disproving a theory. I personally have not seen one but my Brother has claimed to see one. That was years ago and he always has been a bit of a clown so this is not concrete. It depends in what you believe
Maybe...
Reply 67
Original post by ZZTop1
Where is the evidence to them not existing. It can not be proved but there is absolutely nothing to disprove it evidence wise.
When someone makes a fantastic claim, the onus is on them to provide evidence, not on others to disprove it.

Original post by ZZTop1
Find me some evidence they do not exist.
The lack of reliable, testable, repeatable experiments to prove they do exist.

Original post by ZZTop1
Where has many people have reported sightings of ghosts.
People claim all sorts of nonsense and get disproved. They can be genuinely mistaken, they can be wrong, they can be misled, they can be lying. Hence, the onus is on the witness to provide proof it happened. "I saw something I did not understand" is not proof.

Original post by ZZTop1
I know a lot of people are billy bull****ters who want to attention seek through this
That sounds like you have evidence they do not exist.

Original post by ZZTop1
I put uncertain due to a lack of evidence disproving a theory.
The onus is on those claiming a theory there are ghosts.

Original post by ZZTop1
my Brother has claimed to see one. That was years ago and he always has been a bit of a clown so this is not concrete.
That sounds like you have evidence people who say they have seen ghosts are liars.

Original post by ZZTop1
It depends in what you believe
Facts are different from belief systems. You can believe whatever you want, that does not make it true. Evidence and repeatable experiments make it true.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What if you believe in some kind of Lovecraftian cosmic terror :afraid:

Whilst atheists do tend to side with science and rationality there is no reason why someone who does not believe in the Christian God, heaven and hell and all that goes along with it can not believe in or be agnostic about the supernatural. A lot of supernatural mythology goes with the themes of humanity being insignificant which does fit with the atheist mindset.

Atheism is not the specific rejection of the Christian God, you do realise?
Original post by ZZTop1
Find me some evidence they do not exist.

That's not how it works - if you make the extraordinary claim that the paranormal exists, it's on you to prove it, not on those who doubt to provide evidence that it doesn't.
Hmmm I believe in something
Only on Halloween.
Original post by Skeptique
What are ...
Whatever force/s keeping you alive (including electromagnetic energy in the brain which you did not account for) conspire to force life over death so they comprise 'life-forces'. Please read (Original post by pizzad0gs) for a better understanding of what I meant.
As for ..
How do you know all life forms have to be material?

I already spoke earlier about how the synaptic signals in the brain stop when you die, because your brain is dead.

I already read that persons comment and commented on how much they are misinterpreting science.

Also, how can something be by definition alive if it is not composed of matter?

Everyone here who is talking about 'energy' as a proof of ghosts is scientifically illiterate. We are talking about natural phenomena, so we have to use terminology properly. Unless you consider ghosts as unnatural, in which case they are outside the realm of science and any discussion is pointless.
Any man that say ghosts exist needs to be winked on sight cus. straps should just pop out screens and gat them silly cuz.
It astounds me that only 55% are sure enough to say they don't believe in ghosts :eek:, then again I guess it's a similar number that believe in a deity that believe in ghosts :erm:
This is gonna sound weird but...

I believe in ghosts, I just don't believe you can see them.

I'm a christian so I haven't told any of my christian friends.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ghosts: Yes I think so
Vampires: Neither a believer nor a skeptic, I'm open-minded
No I do not.

Quick Reply

Latest