The Student Room Group

Should I do anything?

Met a girl at uni club just under 2 weeks ago. Kissed, danced etc and got on unusually well so went on a date a few days later; date went really well and we both got on really well. I was seeing someone the month before and have been in a long term relationship but hadn't experienced this level of chemistry with anyone before. The date was approaching its end but we were having so much fun we decided to walk around the city at like 1-2am to stay with each other and try get into venues that were still open. Eventually ended buying some rather pricy tickets to a club we both hated just so we could be together aha but we drunkedly bought the wrong ones.

Anyway, she confirmed she wanted to see me again a few times on the date and then on text after the date; we'd text maybe once a day or so over a period of like 3-4 days and she referenced her very slow reply time once but I just joked it off. After she replied to a conversation we had about setting up another date, I asked her when she's free the next week and got no response. I assumed I was being ghosted after 2 days of no contact, I was definitely confused given how well the date went but I understand people can change their minds, I went to the club again the following week, she knew I would be there and I saw her there speaking to a girl I know. I went to dance on the main floor and was really surprised to find her and her friend end up dancing *right* next to, and behind, me and my friends for like an hour straight.

I eventually switched spaces with my friend so I was back to back with her and her friend but so I could no longer see them - my friend then mentioned that she's looking over and he thinks she wants me to interact with her. I wasn't sure though and ended up kissing another girl for a little while. The girl I went on a date with and her friend left shortly after. I basically made no attempt to engage with her because I didn't want her to feel awkward speaking to someone that she has ghosted.

I eventually bumped into the girl I know who spoke to her before she came onto the dance floor a few days ago; apparently they spoke for a while despite not knowing each other and the topic of boys came up. She mentioned she was really hung up over her male flatmate that she hooked up with who hasn't spoken to her in weeks but went on a date with someone (me) and really enjoyed it - she showed her my socials and mentioned I'm funny and good looking which her friend echoed; apparently her friend really wanted her to pursue things with me but she was unsure because she didn't know if it would go anywhere and doesn't want to lead me on.

She then showed the girl I know the last text I sent asking when she's free and then sorta bent down and held her head in her hands claiming she doesn't know what to do. She didn't say a bad word about me - nothing like I was too "nice" or that she was uninterested either just that she doesn't know what to do. Seems like she got hurt a few weeks ago and is now unsure but given she then spent a good amount of time next to me right after I feel she was hoping something would happen between us organically like when we first met since it would be pretty awkward for her to initiate things given she's ghosted me.

I liked her, I can overlook the ghosting and would like to get to know her a bit better but I feel I may have given off a vibe of being uninterested/annoyed at being ghosted since I didn't interact with her at the club and kissed someone else. Wasn't my intention. Wondering if I should do anything and if so, what should I do? Just texting her after being ghosted seems like a non-starter...

N.B: the flatemate thing is probably a red flag, but i'd deal with that if it ever got to the stage of serious dating, just wondering if there's anything I could even do to continue getting to know her.

Scroll to see replies

It doesn't sound to me like you've done anything wrong. The ball was in her court, and from what you've heard she is genuinely conflicted as to whether to go back to you. From your perspective her inaction is making the decision for her, and whilst it's entirely understandable for you to feel that way, that may well not be her intention. It sounds like she's just really struggling to decide.

You obviously like her, and it sounds like for good reason. As you say, the flatmate thing may be an issue, but it isn't yet. If I were you I would message her again. She may not be thrilled that it's got round to you that she is struggling to choose, so it's up to you to what extent you tell her that you're aware of that, but the one thing that you may want to mention is her fear of leading you on, which is the thing that seems to be stopping her going on another date with you. So perhaps a quick message just saying that the offer is still open to go on another date if she wants to, that you had a great time last time and would like to see her again, and then maybe something about hearing that she doesn't want to lead you on, and that she doesn't need to worry about that and you're happy to take things one step at a time. Something along those lines. Then you can leave it her one way or the other.
I wouldn't say this girl ghosted you. It seems to me like she was still thinking about how she wanted to reply. That uncertainty doesn't translate well, admittedly.

I'd say go for it. Also, let her know her friend approached you with information about her. She may get angry if she finds that out from one of you further down the line.
Reply 3
Original post by Crazy Jamie
It doesn't sound to me like you've done anything wrong. The ball was in her court, and from what you've heard she is genuinely conflicted as to whether to go back to you. From your perspective her inaction is making the decision for her, and whilst it's entirely understandable for you to feel that way, that may well not be her intention. It sounds like she's just really struggling to decide.

You obviously like her, and it sounds like for good reason. As you say, the flatmate thing may be an issue, but it isn't yet. If I were you I would message her again. She may not be thrilled that it's got round to you that she is struggling to choose, so it's up to you to what extent you tell her that you're aware of that, but the one thing that you may want to mention is her fear of leading you on, which is the thing that seems to be stopping her going on another date with you. So perhaps a quick message just saying that the offer is still open to go on another date if she wants to, that you had a great time last time and would like to see her again, and then maybe something about hearing that she doesn't want to lead you on, and that she doesn't need to worry about that and you're happy to take things one step at a time. Something along those lines. Then you can leave it her one way or the other.

Thank you for your response to a long post. I just wanted to add a couple of things to see if it would impact your advice. I texted her on a Sunday/Monday, we were at the club on Wednesday and its now the following Monday with no response so she isn't still deciding. Could also be that leaving it so long has made it too awkward for her to respond. I fear my lack of doing anything when she was right next to me or kissing someone else further cements that - not to say it annoyed her but rather suggested that I no longer want anything to do with her which is untrue.

Just wanted to reframe it from her "deciding what to do" to now having fully ghosted. I mean its been a week lol. I'll take texting her into account though, I'm not sure it'll come across as anything other than clingy as we're quite young and not the most mature of people though.
Reply 4
Original post by 1582
I wouldn't say this girl ghosted you. It seems to me like she was still thinking about how she wanted to reply. That uncertainty doesn't translate well, admittedly.

I'd say go for it. Also, let her know her friend approached you with information about her. She may get angry if she finds that out from one of you further down the line.

As I said in my response to Jamie, its been a week since i texted and 4/5 days since we were at the club so it seems the decision has been made. I'm just a bit worried that some of it was made because she thinks I'm no longer interested as I didn't make a move when she was next to me and basically ignored her - could also be that she has concluded that it's not right for her which is fair. Just wanted to see if you'd still say go for it given the time frames. Really not a fan of making people feel uncomfortable...

It wasn't her friend, just some girl I know I think they met that night. But yes, I'd have to bring that up in some way if I reach out.
Original post by JamieJacks
Thank you for your response to a long post. I just wanted to add a couple of things to see if it would impact your advice. I texted her on a Sunday/Monday, we were at the club on Wednesday and its now the following Monday with no response so she isn't still deciding. Could also be that leaving it so long has made it too awkward for her to respond. I fear my lack of doing anything when she was right next to me or kissing someone else further cements that - not to say it annoyed her but rather suggested that I no longer want anything to do with her which is untrue.

Just wanted to reframe it from her "deciding what to do" to now having fully ghosted. I mean its been a week lol. I'll take texting her into account though, I'm not sure it'll come across as anything other than clingy as we're quite young and not the most mature of people though.

Doesn't change my advice. The fact that it's been a few days since the club may well mean that she's made a decision, but as you say, it may also be that she's got into her own head and thinks it would be too awkward now. The reality is that most people worry about how people are interpreting their actions, which ironically means that most people's fears in that regard are unfounded because most people are thinking about themselves. Your post is a great example of that, because you're worrying about what she thought about your actions when you know that she was talking to a friend the same night and was conflicted about the decision she is making, not wanting to lead you on and so on. There's a good chance that you're both worried about what the other is thinking, and a message from you could just be what's needed to get things going again. Even if it isn't, at least you'll know one way or the other.

On a side note, I just thought it was worth saying that some of the things you've written here show quite a lot of insight, maturity and empathy for someone who is (relatively) young. It's in stark contrast to a lot of people who make threads on here. Whether it's with this girl or not, that does bode really well going forwards as and when you do get into a long term relationship again.
Reply 6
Doesn't change my advice. The fact that it's been a few days since the club may well mean that she's made a decision, but as you say, it may also be that she's got into her own head and thinks it would be too awkward now. The reality is that most people worry about how people are interpreting their actions, which ironically means that most people's fears in that regard are unfounded because most people are thinking about themselves. Your post is a great example of that, because you're worrying about what she thought about your actions when you know that she was talking to a friend the same night and was conflicted about the decision she is making, not wanting to lead you on and so on. There's a good chance that you're both worried about what the other is thinking, and a message from you could just be what's needed to get things going again. Even if it isn't, at least you'll know one way or the other.

On a side note, I just thought it was worth saying that some of the things you've written here show quite a lot of insight, maturity and empathy for someone who is (relatively) young. It's in stark contrast to a lot of people who make threads on here. Whether it's with this girl or not, that does bode really well going forwards as and when you do get into a long term relationship again.

That makes sense thank you. I was thinking of speaking to her if I ever saw her around; maybe at a club or something - felt texting after my last text was literally "when are you free this week" would be extremely inorganic/the juxtaposition would probably make them feel guilty. That being said, if I'm thinking too much into that and texting is fine then do let me know. The girl I know that spoke to her was planning on messaging her at some point to check in and ask if she's ok as she got a bit emotional when they spoke and wanted to ask her if she's made a decision/how she feels in general.

I don't know the girl well but I'm friends with her bf hence why I'm aware of what was said. I'd probably find out somehow what is going to be said but I feel like that is quite backhanded and undermines their private messages. Well i suppose it is if info is being relayed back to me without her knowing but at least then I will know where she stands without putting my neck out so to speak. Frustrating that the least risk method also comprimises the integrity the most ahaha. You've solidified my resolve to speak to her and find out where she stands anyway, I'm just a bit stuck on how to do that. Text vs bumping into them at a club or something vs hearing what she says to the girl I know.

Re the side note: that's very kind of you to say thank you. That being said, I'm aware I'm offering balanced viewpoints and I'm trying to be insightful on what is causing her actions (dancefloor antics and lackof texting I guess) but its difficult to say if this is genuine maturity or wishful thinking. For example, I had met a girl under almost identical circumstances last month and saw her for the month; we didn't really get on and couldn't really have many conversations but liked each other a lot.

We called it off twice during the month and each time I was trying to find rhyme/reason as to why she still likes me and what we could do to make it work...ultimately I accepted a week or two after the second time that we just don't work and left it. I had caught feelings so it was actually quite hard to do so but I met this girl very soon after and whilst I hadn't caught feelings (feel like the past encounter mellowed me out) I had genuine interest and chemistry with her. As a result, its difficult to say if I'm suggesting she hasn't texted me because its awkard or she danced next to me for an hour because she wanted me to do something because its a likely possibility or because I just want to hold onto a viewpoint which suggests something could be fixed. I will say that in this instance since I have heard her speak about her time with me and her difficulty deciding that my ideas are more grounded and realisitic than the notions I was crafting last month with this other girl. I actually remember that girl's friend mention that she wasn't even sure if she liked me because she never talks about me or mentions me which I guess is different to this girl bringing me up to a stranger lol.

Sorry for the lite trauma dump. Appreciate your help a lot.
, I went to the club again the following week, she knew I would be there and I saw her there speaking to a girl I know. I went to dance on the main floor and was really surprised to find her and her friend end up dancing *right* next to, and behind, me and my friends for like an hour straight.

Did your parents teach you no manners?

You had a great time with this girl. And the first time you saw her after that you didn't go up to her with an enthusiastic "Cressiddaaaaaa!" (or whatever her name is)?

How rude was that? To blank her.

Regardless of any lack of phone messaging, the polite and proper thing to do was to greet her as soon as you saw her again.

It sounds like you're both at the same uni. And you both go to the same sort of social events. So you don't need to arrange a date with her. A simple "See you at (name of venue) some time" is good enough. And then you look to incorporate her and her friends into your social circle. Whilst taking the lead in escalating things with her in a calibrated way. If she becomes your sexual partner: fine. If she just becomes a part of your social circle: fine. If she's in your social circle and then drops out of it: that's fine too.
Reply 8
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Did your parents teach you no manners?

You had a great time with this girl. And the first time you saw her after that you didn't go up to her with an enthusiastic "Cressiddaaaaaa!" (or whatever her name is)?

How rude was that? To blank her.

Regardless of any lack of phone messaging, the polite and proper thing to do was to greet her as soon as you saw her again.

It sounds like you're both at the same uni. And you both go to the same sort of social events. So you don't need to arrange a date with her. A simple "See you at (name of venue) some time" is good enough. And then you look to incorporate her and her friends into your social circle. Whilst taking the lead in escalating things with her in a calibrated way. If she becomes your sexual partner: fine. If she just becomes a part of your social circle: fine. If she's in your social circle and then drops out of it: that's fine too.

Thanks for the response. I'm not entirely sure I was wrong for not interacting with her; she didn't exactly say anything to me either...my main issue was that I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable.

We go to the same uni but there isn't really a guaranteed we'll be at the same social events, she's only been to that club twice afaik.
A big friendly positive spotaneious greeting as soon as you saw her again would have left her feeling comfortable. Followed by a "Hi" to all the friends she was with.

Blanking her and pretending that you didn't know her was rude on your part and will have left her with a less good impression of you.

In these situations, never let someone else's lack of manners be an excuse for a lack of good manners from you.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
A big friendly positive spotaneious greeting as soon as you saw her again would have left her feeling comfortable. Followed by a "Hi" to all the friends she was with.

Blanking her and pretending that you didn't know her was rude on your part and will have left her with a less good impression of you.

In these situations, never let someone else's lack of manners be an excuse for a lack of good manners from you.

okay, going forward if I see her and we make eye contact I will do so. We didn't make eye contact on that night and I didn't feel like just going up to her and saying hi given she's ghosted me. I didn't really blank her, I was just aware she was around me and didn't try to engage conversation or look at her.
Just leave her alone now cos Uv ruined ur chances now by kissing another girl in front of her and ignoring her so u can't have liked her that much and ur the one that ghosted her by the looks of it
okay, going forward if I see her and we make eye contact I will do so. We didn't make eye contact on that night and I didn't feel like just going up to her and saying hi given she's ghosted me. I didn't really blank her, I was just aware she was around me and didn't try to engage conversation or look at her.

As soon as you see her go up to her and say her name in a really happy to see her kind of way.

Forget about it being conditional on making eye contact.
Put your feelings about being ghosted to one side.
Focus on doing the right thing. Focus on elevating her mood.

You can put whatever label you want on your behaviour when you saw her for a second time and didn't immediately go up to her in a positive way.
I'd call it lacking in manners. One of those social mistakes to be learnt from.

Original post by cherlloydfan1
Just leave her alone now cos Uv ruined ur chances now by kissing another girl in front of her and ignoring her so u can't have liked her that much and ur the one that ghosted her by the looks of it

The kissing another girl in front of her was fine. As it shows status. It's the equivalent of a testimonial in a sales situation.
The ignoring her was poor social form. The situation may be retrievable. And regardless of whether he's blown his chances of a romantic relationship with her, he should still make friendly contact with her the next time he sees her. The two of them becoming part of each other's social circle would be a fine outcome.
Original post by cherlloydfan1

I asked her when she's free and got no response. She didn't try speak to me at the club, she was just in my vicinity but we didn't even look at each other. i don't think i've done anything bad here.
You kisses another girl in front of her? Damn
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Wild uni g
You kisses another girl in front of her? Damn

Not right in front, maybe near.
Not right in front, maybe near.

So you're never getting her back after that
Original post by Wild uni g
So you're never getting her back after that

I don't see how it's an issue personally; I'd been ghosted at that point so had no reason to believe she was still interested. I didn't know she was struggling with the decision until a few days after
Reply 18

Random update because i randomly remembered about this post; we bumped into each other a few weeks later on my birthday and have been together ever since lol
Random update because i randomly remembered about this post; we bumped into each other a few weeks later on my birthday and have been together ever since lol

Happy days :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending