Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A particle P of mass m is free to move inside a sphere with centre O and radius r.The particle starts from the lowest point, directly below O, with a speed v. As longas the particle stays on the inner surface of the sphere, its position can be described in terms of the angle Ɵ between the line OP and the vertical.

(a) Find the particle speed as a function of Ɵ.
    (b) Find the normal reaction between the particle and the surface of the sphere.
    (c) Show that the particle remains in contact with the sphere through a complete revolution as long as v ≤ sqrt(5*gr)
    (d) Show that if sqrt(2rg) < v < sqrt(5rg) then the particle will lose contact with the sphere. What happens when v < sqrt(2rg)?

Question above. I am stuck on part (d). My thoughts are that I need to show that the resultant = mg alone (ie it is now a projectile and thus must have lost contact). But how do I account for Ɵ?

ReputationRep:
    bump

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.