The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
happysunshine
*shrugs*, I could barely make sense of it?

So not a particularly good joke. Ah well - *wanders off, meditating on the failings of his fellow men/women/hermaphrodites/others*
Reply 41
Having worked with lots of babies with horrible genetic diseases, the majority of them had parents who were first or second cousins. If the relationship was any more incestuous, then genetic diseases would become widespread. It is indeed a corruption of genetic diversity.
parvati
Having worked with lots of babies with horrible genetic diseases, the majority of them had parents who were first or second cousins. If the relationship was any more incestuous, then genetic diseases would become widespread. It is indeed a corruption of genetic diversity.

And thus entire genetic lines could be destroyed within 2 or 3 generations of incestuous reproduction.
Reply 43
Only if you and your family member were the last people alive and had to preserve the human race.
Adhsur
Only if you and your family member were the last people alive and had to preserve the human race.

but then the human race would be doomed, because the genetic purity would be degraded from the first new generation.
This thread is sick (and not in a good way). How can it ever be justified?
If I ever heard of anyone in my family or anyone else's family doing stuff like that, I'd rip their head off.
Reply 46
celia
I read an article that said there was probably a psychological reason for siblings not finding each other attractive, as shown by children who were brought up together on a kibbutz, whose parents would be quite happy for each other to marry, grow up but only feel sibling-type feelings for one another.

If this is true, then maybe the real problems could happen when children who have been separated whilst still very tiny meet up again in the future- without the effects of being brought up with one another they may find each other attractive. I guess with egg and sperm donation becoming more common, and divorced people going on to have second families who may have no contact with their first, this might happen more and more frequently.

I aggree, it is entirely likely that evolutionary psychology would provide us with a disgust in incest.

People on this thread have claimed it is a cultural taboo, yet I have never been tought about it in school, nor in the media have I been led to feel incest is abhorrent. Also children of parents who are disgusted by incest would be more likely to survive, in terms of evolution, due to the small chance that people who aren't disgusted by incest would copulate with their siblings.

Obviously however this view is going to be controversiol, as extrapolation of this argument could be used to claim that evolutionary psychology is also responsible for a disgust of homosexuality. Why not though? Since birth children are told that homosexuality is normal and perfectly natural, in fact it is a cultural taboo to be 'homophobic'. Yet 'homophobia' is largely prevalent in our society - as OutRage! would hasten to remind you.
Reply 47
benm
I aggree, it is entirely likely that evolutionary psychology would provide us with a disgust in incest.

Yeah, I think pheromones are involved to a certain extent. They started some research into it a few years ago - it's entirely plausible.

benm
People on this thread have claimed it is a cultural taboo, yet I have never been tought about it in school,

That wouldn't be surprising then. Why don't you think it's culturally taboo? I think it fits quite comfortably the very definition.

benm
Also children of parents who are disgusted by incest would be more likely to survive, in terms of evolution, due to the small chance that people who aren't disgusted by incest would copulate with their siblings.

Fair point, but then you're assuming incestuous lust is swayed towards environmental factors - but by saying 'more likely' I dare say that's indeed true.

benm
Why not though? Since birth children are told that homosexuality is normal and perfectly natural,

I disagree. That only skims the surface, the official PC line and what parents tell their children are often completely different.
Reply 48
timeofyourlife
That wouldn't be surprising then. Why don't you think it's culturally taboo? I think it fits quite comfortably the very definition.

Because I haven't been indoctrinated into feeling negatively about incest in the same way I have about racism and homophobia.

timeofyourlife
I disagree. That only skims the surface, the official PC line and what parents tell their children are often completely different.

Hmmmm, I guess there is the possibility that a large amount of parents are stealth homophobes. :biggrin:
Reply 49
benm
Because I haven't been indoctrinated into feeling negatively about incest in the same way I have about racism and homophobia.

But surely the fact you haven't been preached about the wrongs of incest only proves to amplify the taboo-ness?

benm
Hmmmm, I guess there is the possibility that a large amount of parents are stealth homophobes. :biggrin:

I believe most 'modern parents' take the mentality that it's okay for other people's children to be gay, but they pray to god that it won't happen to them. It's also very hard to dislodge the beliefs formed a couple of generations ago; homosexuality will not be considered 'the norm' for quite a while yet.
Reply 50
piginapoke
I think you're right here actually. I've struggled to think of some influences I might have had, but can't really think of any solid ones. So I would go along with it being part of our genetic makeup.

Hopefully we'll find out about the genetic incest theory pretty soon. Saying that, we'll probably be dead before anyone gets around to writing the opening paragraph.
Reply 51
timeofyourlife
But surely the fact you haven't been preached about the wrongs of incest only proves to amplify the taboo-ness?

I don't think so. If we haven't been preached about the wrongs of incest, why do we find it disgusting? Our disgust must be generated from somewhere. I don't think disgust can result from not talking about something.

timeofyourlife
I believe most 'modern parents' take the mentality that it's okay for other people's children to be gay, but they pray to god that it won't happen to them. It's also very hard to dislodge the beliefs formed a couple of generations ago; homosexuality will not be considered 'the norm' for quite a while yet.

Hmmm, why would they pray that their children - their genetic line, their immortality - would not be gay?
It wouldn't bring shame upon them, they wouldn't be rejected by society.
Reply 52
benm
I don't think so. If we haven't been preached about the wrongs of incest, why do we find it disgusting? Our disgust must be generated from somewhere. I don't think disgust can result from not talking about something.

I just don't think the two are mutually exclusive. The disgust wouldn't be arising from the talking, it would be from the perception of what society would think of such an act. It all ultimately stems down to genetics, but doesn't everything?

benm
Hmmm, why would they pray that their children - their genetic line, their immortality - would not be gay?

The thought of not having grandchildren? hehe.

benm
It wouldn't bring shame upon them, they wouldn't be rejected by society.

That depends, sub-urbian middle class society maybe not - inner city thinking has yet to come around to accepting ways. Nor has that of older generations. The word 'gay' is still used as an offensive term, especially in schools.
Reply 53
hmm... incest.... the cases i often hear about tend to be sister-bro type relationships.... I read somewhere that its to do with some extreme psychological disorder especially when the two have been separated for a long time or something.... I cant say i agree with it... but people choose how they live their lives, i suppose. Eek.
Reply 54
I have no idea how this topic came to be. But fine freedom of speech.

I don't know who are christians in here or even have remote knowledge of the content of the bible.

The story of Lot and his daughters - does that ring any bells? OK well the Book of Genesis, Chapter 19, Verses 30-38 has some disturbing content but does that mean incest is permitted in Christianity?

30. And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters.
31. And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:

32. Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

33. And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

34. And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

35. And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

36. Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.

37. And the firstborn bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day.

38. And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Ben-ammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day.

Incest is inbred and it can never be ok. Its sick and perverted. If you are religious, then by all means you probably believe incest would have had to taken place in order for the world to be as populated as it is today. I can offer little explanation of this. But that sure does not mean keep on doing it. What about the possibility of handicaps and syndromes like Dawns syndrome? But then again I am still in shock over this topic.
Reply 55
Outrageous
35. And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

Interesting use of language, maybe this is where the term 'getting laid' comes from
Reply 56
kimoni
Interesting use of language, maybe this is where the term 'getting laid' comes from

*L*Well umm that is the way the bible was translated so I guess that wording was found suitable. Interesting observation but I am not sure this was intended.
Reply 57
wiwarin_mir
but then the human race would be doomed, because the genetic purity would be degraded from the first new generation.
Well how did Adam and Eve reproduce...their children must have mated?

Regardless of the biblical tale, eventually the deformity may be wiped out...
Don't the Mormons believe in this? If so isn't this the reason why they do it? j/w
Reply 59
NDGAARONDI
Don't the Mormons believe in this? If so isn't this the reason why they do it? j/w

The mormons do not believe in incest. They believe in polygamy. Huge difference. And no they don't marry their own children/siblings either.

Latest

Trending

Trending