The Student Room Group

Cambridge DP/PAO Rejection

Hiii, I applied for Mphil Education for 24fall, and my status changed to DP on 3.15. It was processed by PAO ever since and I just got rejected. It may because they think my GPA didn't reach their bar for internatinoal students. Just wondering anybody has known any cases similiar? Rejected by PAO or Sth.? What should I do now
:frown: How could I argue with the university?
Reply 1
First and foremost, I'm truly sorry to hear about the news. I understand how disappointing and disheartening it must be to receive this outcome, especially after all the effort and anticipation you've put into the application process. Please know that your feelings of frustration and sadness are completely valid.

Now, Cambridge does mention the minimum required GPA for their courses which you can find here: https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/ededmpegd/requirements

You have to understand DP means either your application was with Degree Committee or PAO. If the rejection came from the Degree Committee, it means you never got a green light on admission and cannot do anything about it. But if it was PAO then you can always reach out to them for a reason. In either case, I don't think you could argue with the University over their final decision.

As for whether PAO rejections happened before? Yes, despite being uncommon and rare, they aren't unheard of. They might deny the admission, if Cambridge fails to verify/authenticate the university/college(which is extremely rare and has a good reason).

Whatever it may be, remember that this rejection does not define your worth or potential. Take some time to process your emotions, but don't let this rejection deter you from pursuing your dreams.
Original post by Icoaixhek
Hiii, I applied for Mphil Education for 24fall, and my status changed to DP on 3.15. It was processed by PAO ever since and I just got rejected. It may because they think my GPA didn't reach their bar for internatinoal students. Just wondering anybody has known any cases similiar? Rejected by PAO or Sth.? What should I do now
:frown: How could I argue with the university?

Assuming you know you got to the PAO (as DP covers both PAO and Degree Committee stages) and you know your degree grade doesn't reach their course minima, then there is nothing you can do this year.

Your application will have been passed by your Dept and the degree committee and passed to PAO with a recommendation to offer. The PAO do not make academic decisions, but they do ensure the rules are upheld consistently. They will have noted that your grade is below the minimum, and will have sent your application beck to the Dept asking them to review their decision in light of pre-session agreements about grades and other decisions across the cohort. The Dept would be required to fill in a justification document. The Dept obviously decided that, on reflection, they couldn't justify their initial decision. So unfortunately you got a rejection from the PAO stage. It's rare, it's very marginal, but there is no appeal process. The only thing you can do is try to strengthen your application and try again next year, if you still want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending