The Student Room Group

Do you need a CV for work experience at a law firm?

I am planning to contact a local law firm about work experience but then I was wondering whether I would need a cv for it? Help!
Original post by ThatGurl
I am planning to contact a local law firm about work experience but then I was wondering whether I would need a cv for it? Help!

How old are you?
Reply 2
Original post by TimmonaPortella
How old are you?

16 :smile: in my first year of a levels atm
(edited 8 years ago)
16 :smile: in my first year atm

Of... sixth form?

The thing is that most people at your stage don't have much to put on a CV.

I'd probably draft one anyway and send it with my email if I were enquiring that way, to show eagerness. It won't do any harm, and it won't take long to put together.

However, the most reliable way to get work experience would be if you had any friends whose parents were solicitors, or your parents knew someone, or your teachers knew someone, or something like that. In that case you wouldn't need a CV.

Don't worry if it turns out you can't get anything at this stage. You're a little bit early to be worrying too much about it.
Reply 4
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Of... sixth form?

The thing is that most people at your stage don't have much to put on a CV.

I'd probably draft one anyway and send it with my email if I were enquiring that way, to show eagerness. It won't do any harm, and it won't take long to put together.

However, the most reliable way to get work experience would be if you had any friends whose parents were solicitors, or your parents knew someone, or your teachers knew someone, or something like that. In that case you wouldn't need a CV.

Don't worry if it turns out you can't get anything at this stage. You're a little bit early to be worrying too much about it.

Yep of sixth form haha

I definitely want to have some work experience in law because it will help with my university application. I want more than just grades (god knows if i'll even get the grades) to show that i am eager and interested in the subject.
Yep of sixth form haha

I definitely want to have some work experience in law because it will help with my university application. I want more than just grades (god knows if i'll even get the grades) to show that i am eager and interested in the subject.

I'm not saying don't try to get it, but it won't particularly hold back your university applications if you don't have it.

A law degree is academic and you should focus in your application on the academic aspect of law and why you want to proceed with that. Personally I did some work experience at a local firm before applying and it didn't even make it into my PS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending