The Student Room Group

Law work experience

Hi, I haven't undertaken any work experience in law and I'm wondering if that would put me at a disadvantage in my PS. I've written about how I met a stateless woman while volunteering which sparked an interest in law and how I read up on the issue, and other super curricular (mooting, going to lectures at local universities and online lectures). I've also taught English to international students, and I'm tying that to the need for close analysis of language in contract law.

Does my lack of work experience at a firm disadvantage me? I don't think its possible for me to get experience before I submit the PS in October, so if it does disadvantage me, is there anything I can do that might substitute work experience?

Thanks a lot!
You don’t need any form of work experience in the legal field for a law degree, so you not having any does not disadvantage you in any way :smile:
Original post by S4muell
Hi, I haven't undertaken any work experience in law and I'm wondering if that would put me at a disadvantage in my PS. I've written about how I met a stateless woman while volunteering which sparked an interest in law and how I read up on the issue, and other super curricular (mooting, going to lectures at local universities and online lectures). I've also taught English to international students, and I'm tying that to the need for close analysis of language in contract law.

Does my lack of work experience at a firm disadvantage me? I don't think its possible for me to get experience before I submit the PS in October, so if it does disadvantage me, is there anything I can do that might substitute work experience?

Thanks a lot!

Hi @S4muell!

There is certainly no need for legal experience of this kind before starting university so don't panic! In fact, it already looks like you have done a considerable amount to boost your CV in terms of legal understanding :smile:

Of course, when you look to applying to firms or for pupillage in the future, legal experience will be vital so it is important to ensure that you do this at some point and it may be easier to trickle little bits throughout your degree so you don't have to try and cram a lot in when you are in the final year of your degree! However, there is no need for this to have been done yet by any means.

Good luck!

Sophie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending