The Student Room Group

IB HL maths for maths degree?

--
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by lilyhutton
I'm currently applying for sixth forms and I'm really interested in the IB (like the range of subjects, like the idea of being able to do two languages, like learning etc). At the moment, i would do HL maths, french and either chemistry or politics, and I am considering a maths degree (I'm only 16 but it seems I have to make my life choices now) but I would just like to know a few things:
- Do you think HL maths is the right choice? Would it be better to do A levels (I would do maths and FM)?
- Do you think I would need to take physics to do a maths degree at the best maths unis?
- Anyone doing HL maths: how are you finding it? What subjects are you doing with it?

It's not that I don't enjoy physics, but it's just I enjoy chemistry that little bit more.

HL maths will be fine, but it does look odd that you're not going with more mathematical subjects as your other highers. You are aware that you can do both chemistry and physics as highers (or indeed one at standard level)?
Original post by lilyhutton
I'm currently applying for sixth forms and I'm really interested in the IB (like the range of subjects, like the idea of being able to do two languages, like learning etc). At the moment, i would do HL maths, french and either chemistry or politics, and I am considering a maths degree (I'm only 16 but it seems I have to make my life choices now) but I would just like to know a few things:
- Do you think HL maths is the right choice? Would it be better to do A levels (I would do maths and FM)?
- Do you think I would need to take physics to do a maths degree at the best maths unis?
- Anyone doing HL maths: how are you finding it? What subjects are you doing with it?

It's not that I don't enjoy physics, but it's just I enjoy chemistry that little bit more.

I don't know which universities you are aiming for but a Cambridge Admissions tutor said that for a Maths degree the IB is not such a good choice because with A levels you can do a lot more Maths, whereas most schools do not offer IB Further Maths. Physics would probably be looked at favorably but I don't think universities are going to care as much if you have another science (at HL preferably). I am currently in my 2nd year of IB and am doing HL maths and at first I found them really difficult but with time you get adjusted to the type of studying you have to do and right now I am not finding it difficult at all. I am also doing Physics HL and it is much harder than Maths (in my opinion). Ultimately the decision would be up to you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by thecsstudent
I don't know which universities you are aiming for but a Cambridge Admissions tutor said that for a Maths degree the IB is not such a good choice because with A levels you can do a lot more Maths, whereas most schools do not offer IB Further Maths. Physics would probably be looked at favorably but I don't think universities are going to care as much if you have another science (at HL preferably). I am currently in my 2nd year of IB and am doing HL maths and at first I found them really difficult but with time you get adjusted to the type of studying you have to do and right now I am not finding it difficult at all. I am also doing Physics HL and it is much harder than Maths (in my opinion). Ultimately the decision would be up to you :smile:

I teach both, and the general concensus would be that to get a 7 in HL maths is marginally more difficult than in HL physics, but both are tough.

Regarding Cambridge, there is definitely some truth in that. But most of this stems from a misunderstanding over the demands of the IB, which is slowly but surely being addressed (and so entrance requirements are becoming more manageable) by universities.

Quick Reply

Latest