The Student Room Group

What could I major on based on my IB subjects?

I'm in my final year of IB and university applications are only months away, but I'm still not sure what to major in. Here are my subject selections:
- English A SL
- Indonesian A SL
- Math AI HL
- Computer Science HL
- Visual Arts SL
- Business Management HL

Here are the majors I'm considering:
- Computer Science
- Business Management
- Philosophy
- Theology
- Journalism

I took the subjects I thought I would like, but I realize now my passions are nonexistent. I was wondering if there are any safer majors that could land me a well-paying job. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Original post by amogsussy
I'm in my final year of IB and university applications are only months away, but I'm still not sure what to major in. Here are my subject selections:
- English A SL
- Indonesian A SL
- Math AI HL
- Computer Science HL
- Visual Arts SL
- Business Management HL

- Computer Science
- Business Management
- Philosophy
- Theology
- Journalism

I took the subjects I thought I would like, but I realize now my passions are nonexistent. I was wondering if there are any safer majors that could land me a well-paying job. Any suggestions? Thank you!

You ask, "if there are any safer majors" - "safer" in what sense? More likely to be accepted onto the course? More likely to enjoy the course? Less likely to drop-out? More likely to get a 1st or a 2:1? More likely to secure a job upon graduation? Something else?

No degree will definitely land you a well-paying job, and there are no degrees which will ensure that you definitely won't land a well-paying job. The idea that a degree is some sort of magic key which will open the door to a particular career is a myth.

Which of your IB subjects do you enjoy most? Which are you best at?
- English A SL
- Indonesian A SL
- Math AI HL
- Computer Science HL
- Visual Arts SL
- Business Management HL

- Computer Science
- Business Management
- Philosophy
- Theology
- Journalism

Based on your HLs I would say that Computer Science and Business Management make the most sense and would give you the highest chance of getting an offer
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
You ask, "if there are any safer majors" - "safer" in what sense? More likely to be accepted onto the course? More likely to enjoy the course? Less likely to drop-out? More likely to get a 1st or a 2:1? More likely to secure a job upon graduation? Something else?

No degree will definitely land you a well-paying job, and there are no degrees which will ensure that you definitely won't land a well-paying job. The idea that a degree is some sort of magic key which will open the door to a particular career is a myth.

Which of your IB subjects do you enjoy most? Which are you best at?

I'm aiming for a major that would both be likely to accept me and open some good job opportunities.

I really enjoy math, but I refrained from applying to AA HL as I wasn't confident in my capabilities. Although I do well by my school's standards (top of my class in fact), I don't think I'll be able to keep it up in university if I do take a math-related major.

I know degrees don't guarantee me well-paying jobs, but since I don't have any passions to pursue, I want to place my bets on what's safest.
Reply 4
Original post by CatalinaIK
Based on your HLs I would say that Computer Science and Business Management make the most sense and would give you the highest chance of getting an offer

I considered that, but I wonder if the high workload and mental strain associated with Computer Science is worth it. I do think Business Management is bearable, but I heard it's a very general major and the skills can be better acquired through practical experience.
- English A SL
- Indonesian A SL
- Math AI HL
- Computer Science HL
- Visual Arts SL
- Business Management HL

- Computer Science
- Business Management
- Philosophy
- Theology
- Journalism

It would be safe to major on areas of your strength. Understand your strength and weakness then make a sound decision.
I considered that, but I wonder if the high workload and mental strain associated with Computer Science is worth it. I do think Business Management is bearable, but I heard it's a very general major and the skills can be better acquired through practical experience.

Sorry I thought you did AA HL Maths. Due to the fact that you did AI HL, I do not think you should or even could do CS since I believe most universities require AA HL. CS has a lot of Maths including calculus so I think Business Management makes the most sense. I'm going to be honest, if you apply to anything else that is not related to Business in some way, universities may be more hesitant to accept you since it wouldn't relate to your IB subjects at all
Here are the websites of the Computer Science, Business Management, and Philosophy majors at Lancaster University. Computer Science requires 35 points overall with 16 points from the best 3 Higher Level subjects, and the median starting salary of graduates is £30,900. Business Management and Philosophy both require 32 points overall with 16 points from the best 3 Higher Level subjects.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending