The Student Room Group

Mocks: Too late to start revising????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunshine774
WOW SUCH GOOD GRADES WITH ONLY ONE WEEK REVISION!
How did you do it???

Mainly watching youtube videos on certain topics and then making mind maps. Colour and presentation of notes are important, take pride in your work, it will make you want to read over it more:biggrin:
Original post by Alexion
I started revising for mocks approximately 10 minutes before they started.

Seriously, don't fret. If anything, it's better to not revise, cuz then you know what you need to work on :h:

i would have a heart attack if I did that! Good on you!
What grades did you get in your mocks and actual gcses?
what was the comparison in the grades?
i would have a heart attack if I did that! Good on you!
What grades did you get in your mocks and actual gcses?
what was the comparison in the grades?

Pfft, I can't really remember the mocks that well. A long time ago, and no official records.

I do remember that they were mostly As or above, with a couple of Bs thrown in.

I ended up with 6A*s and 4As, with still only minimal revision before the real exams - they were a doddle really.
Wow- you must be really clever, getting those grades with minimal revision!

Congrats on your amazing grades!

Original post by Alexion
Pfft, I can't really remember the mocks that well. A long time ago, and no official records.

I do remember that they were mostly As or above, with a couple of Bs thrown in.

I ended up with 6A*s and 4As, with still only minimal revision before the real exams - they were a doddle really.
People here seem to be trying to freak you out, honestly It's never too late. Some revision is better than no revision. I'd say coursework is priority for you right now though. And with regards to your question asking how much 'harder' A levels are I'd stress they're not too bad. Don't get me wrong they are harder but you will mature more as a student. The jump from GCSE to A levels is huge but that is all purely how much effort you put in outside of lessons. The course content isn't much more difficult there is just a lot more of it. Back to your mocks, I'm sure they will be fine you seem bright enough from this topic. Best of luck :smile:
Wow- you must be really clever, getting those grades with minimal revision!

Congrats on your amazing grades!

It was two years ago now haha :lol:

By the time you reach Y13 you'll realise how unimportant your GCSEs really are :wink:
Hi guys i know this should be on a separate thread, but i have NO idea how to revise for my mock papers in maths.
Maths is one of my weakest subjects and probably needs the most revision.

Any advice on how to revise for maths? :smile:
Great. I have so much to look forward to next year...:colonhash:
I am thinking of taking physics and maths. in your opinion, are they good subjects to take?
are they harder than other a level subjects?
are they interesting? (i think gcse physics is AWFUL.)

Gcse physics is quite mundane to be honest, but make sure you have a good teacher for A level!!
Maths is not really easy and not really hard to start off with, I'm quite lazy in class and do most of my work at home but generally the lessons are quite interesting and combine things you learnt from gcse into longer winded questions.

Physics is also quite varied, but I always struggle because I have one teacher that expects us all to be geniuses and another teacher who doesnt bother teaching us anything before he gives us questions to answer.
Hi guys i know this should be on a separate thread, but i have NO idea how to revise for my mock papers in maths.

Past papers are always the answer. Basically, practise practise practise!
Original post by Alexion
It was two years ago now haha :lol:

By the time you reach Y13 you'll realise how unimportant your GCSEs really are :wink:

LOL! Good luck with your A levels!x
i was just wondering how did you revise for your gcse maths papers and what grade did you get... SO confused on how to revise for maths EFFECTIVELY!

Past papers are the way to go with maths :smile:
LOL! Good luck with your A levels!x
i was just wondering how did you revise for your gcse maths papers and what grade did you get... SO confused on how to revise for maths EFFECTIVELY!

As above: past papers! Still the best revision technique from GCSEs through to A2s.

I was one of those 100% kids, I never really had to try hard, though even I had to revise a little in order to get that A* :wink:
Great. I have so much to look forward to next year...:colonhash:
I am thinking of taking physics and maths. in your opinion, are they good subjects to take?
are they harder than other a level subjects?
are they interesting? (i think gcse physics is AWFUL.)

Sorry to spam, just trying to answer all your questions haha. I'm currently in yr 13 doing both Physics and Maths. I personally really enjoy both. From what I can remember of GCSE physics you sort of just get told a concept and that is why. You delve much deeper at A level which I found very interesting
It depends how good you are at revising some people can learn enough relevant info in a week or 2 and other people need several weeks
Original post by tallguy777
Gcse physics is quite mundane to be honest, but make sure you have a good teacher for A level!!
Maths is not really easy and not really hard to start off with, I'm quite lazy in class and do most of my work at home but generally the lessons are quite interesting and combine things you learnt from gcse into longer winded questions.

Physics is also quite varied, but I always struggle because I have one teacher that expects us all to be geniuses and another teacher who doesnt bother teaching us anything before he gives us questions to answer.

LOL my physics teacher expects us to be geniuses too! If every single student does not get a high A*, he is really annoyed. He is not even happy with a low A*.
Scary teacher...:redface:
Original post by Alexion
As above: past papers! Still the best revision technique from GCSEs through to A2s.

I was one of those 100% kids, I never really had to try hard, though even I had to revise a little in order to get that A* :wink:

Lucky! Wish i was part of that 100% 'club'. sadly, that is never gonna happen with me!
Original post by Connor_leigh
Sorry to spam, just trying to answer all your questions haha. I'm currently in yr 13 doing both Physics and Maths. I personally really enjoy both. From what I can remember of GCSE physics you sort of just get told a concept and that is why. You delve much deeper at A level which I found very interesting

its ok, you are only trying to help. Thanks for your good advice.
I am just wondering how closely related physics and maths are at a level?
does maths help with physics and vice versa?
nope you'll be fine. for GCSEs, all you need is three letters: CGP. If your mocks are on what you have done since september, you're not going to have a very fun weekend but trust me you'll be fine.
you'll have to get used to revising for exams in a week at A level as you're so busy juggling everything else you hardly ever have time for everything!! CGP save your life there too haha

ignore the people saying you're going to fail. worst case is that you don't do so well, but then just revise lots over christmas :smile:
Hi i have only got a week until my gcse mocks start.
I have tried to revise but i have been doing so much coursework and just been so busy!
Is it possible to still revise for all 15 of my exams and come out with As and A*s?
i am expected to get really high grades and am SO scared of letting everyone down.
Any advice from people who have done their gcse mocks or from as/a level students would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

No it's not too late. Just don't waste any more of your time and start revving. Make a revision timetable first to ensure that you revise every subject and don't miss anything out. Focus on understanding everything; if you have time you can practice some past paper questions.

Let's say you have four hours to revise on weekdays and ten on weekends, you can revise around 36 hours, so around 2 hours for each exam. Then you can consolidate your knowledge the day before the exams.
its ok, you are only trying to help. Thanks for your good advice.
I am just wondering how closely related physics and maths are at a level?
does maths help with physics and vice versa?

Very closely linked. My physics teacher likes to call it 'sexy' maths as it's actually applied. We're doing M1 this year (yr 13) for maths and so far I've seen everything before in unit 2 physics (as level)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest