The Student Room Group

A levels or btec

Hi im new to this so i do apologise if I've posted in the wrong forum. Im currently in year11 working towards my gsces. Im studying 12 GCSE's and im expected to achieve all A's. I want to pursue a career in the construction industry so im unsure wether I should do A levels in maths, physics, and geography, or if I should do a btec level 3 extended diploma in construction and the built environment and continue on to a apprenticeship.
Reply 1
Original post by Bodeeh
Hi im new to this so i do apologise if I've posted in the wrong forum. Im currently in year11 working towards my gsces. Im studying 12 GCSE's and im expected to achieve all A's. I want to pursue a career in the construction industry so im unsure wether I should do A levels in maths, physics, and geography, or if I should do a btec level 3 extended diploma in construction and the built environment and continue on to a apprenticeship.

If you want a career in Construction then do the BTEC, it would be more employable give you work related skills as well as it has 2 maths modules which are good if you want to go on to do something like Civil Engineering at university

If you think you might change your mind about your career aspirations then go for the A level route, with those 3 subjects you will have a lot of doors open in terms of university options, however the BTEC would be better if you go for the apprenticeship option.

Another option you could take would be to do both, you could take the BTEC Extended Diploma (180 credits) along side either A level Maths or Physics (Maths would be better in terms of higher education options), or you could take the BTEC Diploma (120 credits) or BTEC Subsidiary Diploma(60 credits) + both Maths and Physics A level, one of these options would give you the best of both worlds and prepare you well for a higher apprenticeship or to study a related subject like Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Architecture or Construction management at university

EDIT: @Bodeeh added links to top universities for potential subjects above

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
It all completely depends on which specific career you wish to pursue....

BTEC is very vocationally and the majority of Universities accept it. It's good for most construction related courses IMO except civil.

Knowing how difficult civil engineering maths is, i'd take the A level route. most probably maths and science.

As a QS you could do maths and law or Btec ect ....

Which role are you interested in?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by yt7777
If you want a career in Construction then do the BTEC, it would be more employable give you work related skills as well as it has 2 maths modules which are good if you want to go on to do something like Civil Engineering at university

If you think you might change your mind about your career aspirations then go for the A level route, with those 3 subjects you will have a lot of doors open in terms of university options, however the BTEC would be better if you go for the apprenticeship option.

Another option you could take would be to do both, you could take the BTEC Extended Diploma (180 credits) along side either A level Maths or Physics (Maths would be better in terms of higher education options), or you could take the BTEC Diploma (120 credits) or BTEC Subsidiary Diploma(60 credits) + both Maths and Physics A level, one of these options would give you the best of both worlds and prepare you well for a higher apprenticeship or to study a related subject like Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Architecture or Construction management at university

EDIT: @Bodeeh added links to top universities for potential subjects above

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for all the information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending