The Student Room Group

Can I do a computer science degree with a btec level 3 in business?

Or would I need to have done a level 3 btec specifically in IT because some universities all it says is a btec and DMM but doesn’t mention IT specifically.
Original post by Throwaway678
Can I do a computer science degree with a btec level 3 in business?
Or would I need to have done a level 3 btec specifically in IT because some universities all it says is a btec and DMM but doesn’t mention IT specifically.

Short answer: Yes you can, but your options will be more limited than if it was in IT/Computing.

As you've probably found, many do require that your BTEC Extended Diploma be in IT/Computing. For example Queen Mary (here) say "RQF Computing only" and Nottingham (here) say, "IT, IT (Business), IT (Software Development), IT (Networking and Systems), Computer Science and Networking and Computing/Computer Science".

At other times, they'll be more flexible with the BTEC but will require an A level along side it. For example Sheffield (here) say, "Engineering, Applied Science, IT or Computing + A in A Level Maths". Bristol (here) go even further in terms of flexibility (but still require an A level too) as they say, "Engineering BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma, plus A in Mathematics at A-level (or equivalent), OR any Applied General BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma,plus A in Mathematics at A-level (or equivalent)."

Others will not specify any particular BTEC subject requirement at all. For example, De Montfort (here) simply say, "BTEC National Diploma/ Extended Diploma at DMM". That flexibility in terms of subject is also reflected in their UCAS point-based offer ("A typical offer is 112 UCAS points from at least two A-levels or equivalent"). Similarly, Huddersfield (here) just need "DMM in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma" with no subjects specified. Again, this matches the way that handle A level and UCAS point-based requirements: "BBB at A Level, 120 UCAS tariff points from a combination of Level 3 qualifications."

Finally, there are some which specifically say Business is acceptable. For example, Plymouth (here) say, "DMM-DDM science related subjects: IT, Humanities, Engineering, Software Development, IT Practitioners, Business, Computing, Science".

Universities don't have secret, unpublished, entry requirements. If they need a particular subject, they'll let you know. If they're happy to accept any BTEC Extended Diploma, then they simply won't specify that it needs to be in a particular subject. As you can see from the above, the fact that your BTEC is in Business will limit your options - but it won't prevent you meeting the entry requirements for Computer Science everywhere.
Some Unis offer degrees with Foundation years that are designed specifically for those with high grade expectations but in the 'wrong' subjects - some examples :
Loughborouh - specifically for those who haven't taken A level Maths - https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/foundation/computer-science/
Salford - https://www.salford.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/computer-science-foundation-year

Many especially top universities require A level Maths in addition to BTEC. Others accept with a set GCSE Maths grade. Only the individual university can tell you their entry standards,
Reply 4

I am in the same postion and want to do Com Sci at Uni and I do BTEC Business Level 3. What Uni did you go for and which Unis gave you an offer. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending