The Student Room Group

Fired from my part time job - what do i do with my CV?

Hello,
I have a problem and would really need some advice. I’ve been studying towards a M.Sc in engineering for some time, and also started with a B.Sc. in business at another university a couple of years ago (on 50% pace), graduating in the latter this fall. I also do/did quite a bit of extra curricular activities. I’m not trying to brag, you will see later why this is relevant. Perhaps I should point out that I’m neither British nor living in the UK, but this forum is great and thus i turn to you guys for help.

Some time ago I picked up a part-time job in customer service, ergo work not-so-relevant to my education. The job was pretty fun, the colleagues and the managers great, the payment OK. I believe I got along well with the colleagues and my performance was good, often in the top 10-20%. I would also frequently skip breaks in order to get more things done and worked over time a lot.However working hours were evenings and getting to the office meant a total of 3-3.5 hours by trains and subway. I’m not aware of the situation in the UK, but over here public transports are plagued by frequent delays ranging from 10-15 minutes to hours (in extreme cases).

Since my schedule didn’t really leave enough room for safety margins, I was often late to work. My manager talked to me several times about this and showed understanding, however he also said it had to stop. At another job, being late might have been a lesser problem, but the nature of this one required punctuality. After 6 months my manager had enough and I was fired.I personally have no hard feelings, I actually agree with the decision. I did assure him at my job interview that the commuting distance would be no problem,however it was. To be frank the thought had occurred to me several times to quit the job. The time spent commuting also meant that I would get home at midnight roughly half the month, and after a few months it became a real strain being constantly sleep deprived. It was a relief the days I wasn’t schedule forwork. In the end I stayed due to having bad conciseness about being late so often.

So, on to the question:
I need to get another part-time job (much closer to home), but I’m not sure what to do with my CV. Should I include this job or leave it out?

I’m worried that if I am asked for references from this one it will cause problems. No manager would like to hear that I was frequently late, and my manager seemed really fed up with it (I was too, it's not fun at all).

I’d also like to point out that the time of me being fired coincides with the start of a (much more) qualified summer internship in engineering, hence it doesn’t look weird that my part-time employment ended. My CV otherwise is pretty solid with several internships and good references.

TL;DR
Fired for being late often, otherwise did OK performance-wise. Should i include it in my CV or not?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gaudemaus.igitur

Fired for being late often

Tut tut. Should have learnt this back at secondary school.
Original post by LittleMary
Tut tut. Should have learnt this back at secondary school.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I agree. I havent really been late for any of my other jobs though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
leave it out
As someone who works in recruitment I would leave the job in your CV. You probably learnt a lot of useful "soft skills" there that would be attractive to future employers. Dont put down a reason for leaving on your CV, then you are not lying.

If your timeline shows continuous employment ie. you left the part time job and started the internship, this wouldn't be a red flag to any employer. Obviously you won't use the manager that fired you as a future reference!! Choose an academic referee and the manager from the internship.

If any questions came up during an interview you could be honest and explain that the commuting distance had been a serious problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending